Will I have problems getting my Medical certificate?

JasonM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JM
once I am off of Lexapro, what do I have to do to get my 3rd class medical?

I found this site searching about the FAA medical certificate and found you all to be very helpful with each other. I hope you can help me.

I am looking forward to getting my Private Pilot License in the next year. I have been studying alot of things and was about to start my flight lessons, when I saw all the info on the Class 3 medical.

So, here is my situation. I had back surgery 16 years ago. I recovered fine from that. Im 34 years old now. I wasnt on any medication for any pain until about 2 years ago. My back was acting up a bit and I didnt want to be on any narcodics so my doctor put me on Tramadol and Flexeril. I got on a steady workout rutine and strenthened up my back and lost some lbs. and have since stopped taking both of those medications. I havnt used flexeril for over 5 months. I stopped using tramadol a month ago. I am not taking any pain medicine at all now.

However, I was shocked to find another medication I am on which is Lexapro is also frowned upon. I was prescribed this 4 years ago when the economy was getting hard on me and my business was struggling, just had a our first child, just a stressful time for me. I am currently going through the process to get off of lexapro. I know this is a slow process and I prob wont be fully off of it for another 3-4 months.

At that time I wont have any medications in me at all. Overall I am in good health with no other issues.

So my concern is, having this history, but being clean of any medications, will I have problems getting my Private Pilots License? I would go after a sport license, but I really want to be able to travel with my wife and 2 kids.

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited:
Jason,
Welcome to PoA! It sounds like you're doing everything right here, looking into the medical situation BEFORE going to the AME! I'm pretty sure that the surgery and pain meds will be a non-issue, requiring a letter at most.

As for the Lexapro (Escitalopram), that's another matter. According to NIH, it is "used to treat depression and generalized anxiety disorder (GAD; excessive worry and tension that disrupts daily life and lasts for 6 months or longer). Escitalopram is in a class of antidepressants called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)." and I think that's a red flag. Looking forward to hearing from Dr. Bruce on this one. If he doesn't chime in here, contact him via the instructions on his website, http://aeromedicaldoc.com

Thanks for your reply. I really hope this will not kill my dream. The only reason I went on lexapro was because my wife said I was complaining too much and needed to calm down. It was very stressful owning small excavating business and struggling to get work, dealing with my emplyees problems and family problems just wasnt making me a happy person. So I went to the doctor and now that things in my life are going smooth again, I dont want to be on the medication anymore. I never thought I needed it. Just wanted to make the wife happy.

Mostly, what Grant said, plus let me emphasize that you should not sign or otherwise submit an FAA medical application form before you talk this over with Bruce.

Last edited:
Thank you Dr. Bruce. You are such a great asset to the "Pilots of America". Literally! I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Update for others in my situation. I would simply suggest what the other members suggested 1st. Contact Dr. Bruce! Great Doctor!

The back issue isn't a problem per say, I've had 2 lamenectomies over the years and it's only a situational self grounding when required, when out of pain and clean of meds, self certify again.

The Lexapro.. another matter.

DR Bruce...i would like to contact you how can I do so?? basically I have a persistant stiff neck..7-8mths now..i have seen a variety of doctors..musculo-skeletal and general doctors who all say im fine and am suffering from the "stresses of life" I do not have a decreased range of motion or pain..just some slight discomfort from the stiffness...I take a non prescription Glucoplex supplement to support the joints ...while I have problems with my medical?? Please reply..i am desperate for answers..thanks much in advance.

DR Bruce...i would like to contact you how can I do so?? basically I have a persistant stiff neck..7-8mths now..i have seen a variety of doctors..musculo-skeletal and general doctors who all say im fine and am suffering from the "stresses of life" I do not have a decreased range of motion or pain..just some slight discomfort from the stiffness...I take a non prescription Glucoplex supplement to support the joints ...while I have problems with my medical?? Please reply..i am desperate for answers..thanks much in advance.

www.aeromedicaldoc.com/ There's an email address ...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back