Will I enter that cloud? Point and Wait...

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Based on the same principle of holding your aiming point in the windshield steady when landing, here's a technique for telling if you're going to go IMC or not, if you'll clear the tops or bases of those clouds.

Neat. I'll have to try that out.

SUrprised you guys hadn't picked up on this before. Same principle as whether you are going to hit another aircraft or not - no relative movement in the windscreen.

The 'finger' trick is sooooooo '2004'. Why use a boring old finger when you can have an amazing hi-tech gadget like this??
http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/9229

9229.jpg

I've always wondered if Sporty's actually EVER sells any of those, Chris. I can't imagine cluttering my flight bag with that thing.

The 'finger' trick is sooooooo '2004'. Why use a boring old finger when you can have an amazing hi-tech gadget like this??
http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/9229

9229.jpg
You can do the same thing with a half-full water bottle. Just hold it so that the water surface is level with your eyes and and you can tell whether or not you will clear the tops based on where they are relative to the water surface. I learned this from someone who flew for the Canadian Forces and I would tease him about the sophisticated equipment they have in their airplanes up there. :)

SUrprised you guys hadn't picked up on this before. Same principle as whether you are going to hit another aircraft or not - no relative movement in the windscreen.
Yeah, this is no "trick". Not much of a revelation, either.
Anything that moves towards the edges of your field of view, in any direction, is not in your present path. Just like when you're driving, or walking. When did cloud tops and bases become an exception to this rule? :rolleyes:
Even sillier to me than the video is the sight level... :rofl:

Back