Will a lot of good N-numbers become available in 2016?

NoHeat

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Back in March 2011, the FAA started requiring renewal of registrations every three years. And there is something about the N number being canceled, in 90 days, if the owner doesn't bother with renewal. But the N number can't be reassigned until 5 years later.

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/aircraft_registry/reregistration/

I'm wondering whether there will be a lot of nice old N-numbers becoming available after the 5 Year period is over, which would be mid 2016 for the first round, and continuing for a couple of years more. I'd sure like a nice short number, like N1A.

Last edited:
What is the criteria/parameters for an N number? I tried a couple and they are not available and not registered.

When looking for an N number, I noticed that only those in use are shown, not those that are available.

However, the FAA site does allow wild cards, so I got a list of all four digit and three digit and a letter, put them in a file, then generated all possible numbers of that length, and did a cross reference to see which ones are available.

A lot of three digit (or two digit and a letter) are available, but many of them end in Q.

They don't put into service numbers that were associated with wrecks, do they? I mean the ones where people were impacted...

I am not sure if they retire any numbers, but I know I have seen numbers associated with fatal wrecks placed onto new planes.

Doug

You can look up n numbers that are available on the registry site. That's how I got the new number for my 152 when I reprinted it.
N152RE

They don't put into service numbers that were associated with wrecks, do they? I mean the ones where people were impacted...
That doesn't apply to the FAA and N-numbers. I do know that as a matter of practice and respect, most airlines won't re-use route numbers, but those don't have anything to do with the N-number. Ie, American flight 11 (WTC north tower) won't ever be used to identify a flight, but N334AA (American 11's N-number) will be used again, as it has already been reserved by somebody else.

Note that a leading zero is NOT permitted...
N0PE for example is NOT a valid number.

The shortest N number I have seen is painted on a G-V that visits KRDM from time to time. N1KE.......the guy is into some sort of shoe business...:)

The shortest N number I have seen is painted on a G-V that visits KRDM from time to time. N1KE.......the guy is into some sort of shoe business...:)
That's a good one.

Here ya go; Can't get much shorter than this:
229373.jpg

I want 182RG, but it's been taken by a 182A :(

Only if the N number is released to go back into rotation. I have been trying to get N911SC for years. But the FAA told me I had to find a family member to write a letter releasing it, I have had no luck finding any next of kin.

I flew N7H (a Turbo Arrow) from Utah to Massachusetts a few years ago. Apparently the original owner ran a chain of seven hotels. More of a pain in the ass than anything else, ATC were forever asking what the full callsign was.

Back