Wildlife in the area

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
Ed,
Leslie was asking me about dangerous wildlife in the area that might be a concern when camping. As a city-boy, I couldn't really answer her accurately. I know that my uncle in northern Wisconsin does have bear come onto his property pretty regularly. Is that something we should concern ourselves with around Labor Day?

(BTW, we've picked up the tent and are now set for camping!)

Bears are routinely seen in the area, so...

DO NOT BRING FOOD AND LEAVE IT OUT.

Or if you do bring food, store it on the opposite site of the runway, or just leave it with Tony. LOL

Someone also saw a cougar on the airport a couple weeks ago. I wouldn't let it worry you though. When the cougar saw people it bolted, same with the bear that was seen around this week.

Would it be okay to leave any food in the plane? I think that if I gave it to Tony I'd never see it again! I might as well just put it out on the other side of the runway for the bears! LOL!

ha ha ha

Leah is well versed in Bear avoidance. 44 days in Northern Canada will do that to you. Im not worried about anything cept for Bigfoot.

Not unless you want Yogi Bear trying to find a way into your airplane, probably without use of the door handle! :hairraise:
Is Boo Boo coming this year?:D

Actually, Leslie's been reading up a little on bear avoidance. Between her and Leah, I know we have no worries!:no: Heck, maybe we will be able to get a Bigfoot sighting!:yes::D
(posted from iPhone :D)
Congratulations?

Ed,
Leslie was asking me about dangerous wildlife in the area that might be a concern when camping.

Don't worry about bears or big cats. It's the mosquitos that you need to FEAR. Some are bigger than my Tripacer! (But that makes them easier to swat.)

Also, no poisonous things in the UP.

Barb

ha ha ha

Leah is well versed in Bear avoidance. 44 days in Northern Canada will do that to you. Im not worried about anything cept for Bigfoot.

My bear avoidance = .303 Brit. :yes:

If for some reason that plan fails, all I have to do is be able to outrun Tony. :D

I'm working on taking the title from Scott for old thread revival. :D

So what's the latest info on wildlife in the area for this time of year? I have a Mossberg 835 w/ a slug barrel than can be packed if we want it as a "oh crap" backup plan. I have no experience in the "great north", so not sure what to expect this time of the year. Only rule is.... If I kill it, I keep it. :D

Plenty of black bears up dere in da UP. I don't know if Sidnaw has a town dump, but if you want to see some bears that would be the place to go. Just don't store food in your plane. Bears are pretty smart, and can get into cars if they want to. The attached pic is from Yosemite. I'd hate to see what they would do to a plane :hairraise:

Pete

P.S. watch for deer as well

Attachments

• beardamagetocar_2.jpg
    beardamagetocar_2.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 14
Back