Wilderness Survival

Tristar

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tristar
As I glance through my books I’ve collected over the years consisting of Flight Training materials of all types and even the FAR/AIM, I’ve noticed they include many important topics such as the basic principals of flight, maneuvers, navigation, and radio communications to name a few which gives a general background of flight theory. Through out your training you will also go over many “what if” situations along with the basics that have befallen other previous pilots including lost procedures, engine out procedures, and even practice simulated forced landings. After you have shown your skills to the examiner and have that great piece of paper in your pocket with your name on it and the clearly printed rating on the back, you’re ready to conquer the universe. Or are you?

Now out of the practice area and in the real world, you will not only practice what you are taught but also demonstrate to others thus continuing the aviation legacy through the wild world of flight instructing and even professional flying. The loop never ends and the numbers of newly rated pilots aren’t stopping but are they really ready for all that will be asked of them? As pilots we have to stop and consider that our world does not stop once we leave the ground and begin once we step foot on the tarmac at our destination. Many would like to believe that the beautiful sunset and view below them is just a picture in their imagination as much as people may disagree with me. As a pilot with a common pilot’s education, they believe they could probably make a good engine out landing (ground obstacles permitting) but rarely think about what to do afterwards. Does anybody know why? Because survival is not taught in any flight department I know of. I have never sat down with any instructor much less fellow pilot and really considered, “what would we do if we had to put the plane down in the middle of nowhere? How would we survive?” It just isn’t taught. Be careful not to include yourself in one of the most hazardous thoughts, “what’s the worst that could happen?” or “that just wont happen to me!” Pilots who bring up subjects such as this are even sneered at and told, “well, you just had a bad instructor!”

To those of you that believe such things, let’s think of a scenario that hits closer to home.
A lovely day is scheduled to 6Y9 or Gastons or another fly in with family and friends. You have your whole flight planned out and weather looks perfect for the whole trip. So you walk out the airplane, do the standard preflight inspection. Everything looks good so you jump in you’re plane and go. Halfway into your flight, you see the beautiful hills and lakes of countryside when all of a sudden your engine quits. You don’t know why and you can’t start it up again as much as you try. You’re also VFR and for some unfortunate reason, no one is hearing your pleas for help on the radio, maybe you’re out of range! Your plane is set up the best you know how for a crash landing in the trees. To avoid too much detail, the next thing you know, your beautiful aircraft is bent and sitting in the bushes somewhere miles from civilization and thank goodness you’re alive…but…what do you do now? No one ever taught you what to do AFTER the forced landing! How long exactly will it be until someone just figures out you’re missing?

Scary isn’t it? It should be, because now you’re life is not dependant on anything you were taught in flying, now it’s on your instincts and attitude for survival because that is all you have left.

What is so sad is that many who are lost to situations like this could incredibly enhance their chances for survival if they were taught something….anything, about what to do if they were caught in the elements and I believe it has a full hearted place somewhere in flight training. As the old saying goes, the flight doesn’t stop until you are safely at home.

Although I won’t attempt to be an expert but I found an interesting book at my library called, “Plane Safety and Survival” that I believe should include invaluable tips to at least the basic needs of life including food, water, and shelter. There are of course many helpful tips that are unknown to me that I’d be more than willing to hear from those would share. Let me point out first that I know health is a huge issue itself, so I ask you to make that a second half of this post. For now, a good survival and first aid kit will do.

First, take into consideration what kind of wilderness you are in. Situational awareness is a huge key whether flying or not. This will help you understand if you are near water or other valuable resources. Second, is your attitude. You are obviously not going to have a good start if you automatically think you are going to die, think positively and logically. Third, understand what sources you brought with you aka, anything in your bags or even the aircraft itself. A good example of this is using aircraft fuel to help make a fire or even the material in aircraft seats will help keep you warm by stuffing it in your clothes. Fourth, don’t leave the scene of the accident if possible. Remember you might have flares or a mirror (CDs work too) as a signaling device. The first airplane you see fly over, may be you’re only chance.

The first thing after a crash on our list is to find/ make a shelter. The aircraft shell itself could be a great shelter but personally I’d advise stepping away from it for a while to make sure it doesn’t ignite. But do consider temperature because metal is not a good insulator of heat or cold when the opposite is trying to be protected but it is good to get out of the rain, bugs or a wind block. Basic shelters can also be made using sticks and even brush with leaves tied together/leaned against tree trunks. You can use a vine or tie down ropes. Other shelters include digging holes or tying a line between two trees and staking down a tarp over the top

Water is obviously a very important necessity. Be careful not to assume water is bad based on color, many tree leaves stain the water but underbrush actually can filter it. If a water source is near by, boiling it would probably be the best option. You can also find water sources in plants but be careful you’re not going to suck on a poisonous plant. A good way to collect water is to find a plastic bag of some type and tie it around a tree branch. If I understand this correctly, the moisture in the tree will cause an effect like humidity resulting in little pools of water at the bottom of the bag. It won’t be a ton but enough to wet a dry throat. Also, don’t miss up the chance to collect rain water if it happens to rain.

Food is an interesting subject. There are probably many methods and types I am unaware of but from what I understand, there is no short supply in the forested areas of North America. Obviously you’re not going to run into a Big Mac tree but you shouldn’t starve either. Plants are obviously a tricky test of toxicity. Usually if animals eat them, they are probably okay. Avoid plants with a milky sap or red or white berries (obviously strawberries and cherries were an exception). Bitter taste is also a warning so take that into consideration. If in doubt, drop the plant into boiling water and change the water three times. If it makes you sick or feels funny in your mouth, obviously don’t eat it. Many nuts are okay including walnuts, hickory nuts, and pecans. As far as eating meat, most flesh is okay although I’ve heard it isn’t smart to eat toads or funny looking fish. Obviously bugs such as grasshoppers and earth worms are edible.

Making a fire seems like a pretty interesting and challenging process. Apparently you can make fires by using either standard matches, magnifying glass, flint and steel, or using an interesting method of batteries and steel wool which I’m curious how exactly that works. You’ll also need a lot of wood to last you the night and a bundle of twigs and dry grasses to get it started. Fires are incredibly helpful in many obvious ways including heat, light, food preparation, boiling water, and maybe keeping bugs away.

Having the basic necessities of life will obviously ensure a greater chance of survival no matter what place you are in. The environment will vary so the techniques can be different. I know it may be difficult for the facts of survival to be condensed when picking a place to land the plane but if the closer you are to a town, water, and/or an easily seen patch of land, the better your chances. I obviously don’t want anybody taking these tips completely to heart without consulting an expert but I figured someone needed to step up and say, “hey, nobody is teaching this in flight training,” it might as well be me. If nothing else, it provokes thought and idea sharing between your friends and fellow pilots who have just as much chance to be caught in these circumstances as you do. After all, understanding what you’re up against is half the battle.

Fly Safe

tristan - excellent post! most of us, me included, do not think about this enough.

Here's mine:

One forty-five caliber automatic
Two boxes of ammunition
Four days' concentrated emergency rations
One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
One hundred dollars in rubles
One hundred dollars in gold
Nine packs of chewing gum
One issue of prophylactics
Three lipsticks
Three pair of nylon stockings

Before anyone else posts it. :D

My airplane tends toward a forward CG when I fly alone. My choice of ballast in the rear baggage bay is a couple of cases of bottled water, in small bottles. I figure all the blubber I carry around on my person will take care of the food aspect for a while.

oh also - www.equipped.org has a lot of good info

The, "Equipped" person did a two-part seminar at last year's AOPA Expo. The second half involved a swimming pool and I've got a picture of me somewhere wearing an inflatable vest. He also did a seminar at Embry-Riddle in Prescott a few months earlier geared more towards Arizona aviators.

The biggest rule he stressed was that survival gear had to be on your person, not just in your airplane.

Oh yeah, don't forget to bring a towel.

Well thought out post. It is taught or discussed by quite a few instuctors out here maybe because there is lots of nothing west of I-25. It should be taught to all pilots. Didn't a pilot spend several days out before rescue back east somewhere this summer?

I don't go west without my survival pack and a sleeping bag. And I have enough on my person or within reach to light a fire, signal, and stay warm. If I owned a PLB that would be attached too. Also I also wear shoes I can walk with on rough ground.

Funny this should be brought up. This is something I've been thinking about doing since I got my private ticket. I'm taking a tracking/survival course after cfi and teaching it to the students who would like to learn. I havent figured out how yet, Probably flying out to a remote area and teaching it for a few days. I've found some good courses with some reputable teachers I just haven't had the money. You know, flight school :rolleyes:.

I bring carry dehydrated food if I'm going on a long trip thats out of the way. It's light and non-perishable. Also tin polished with chocolate makes a refecltive enough surface to start a fire. So if you have a candy bar on your person, which I don't think would be an uncommon inflight snack, and you wont have a shortage of tin, you can start a fire with the fuel and some wood. One of the most important things I learned was that if in the event you do leave the site of the crash take the compass. Most people who get lost end up that way because they went in a big circle turning in towards the less dominant side.

Aside from the things I mentioned I bring a flashlight, a bandana, a knife, bandages and tape. Also Brazil nut milk I make at home.

If you're going for bare bones, the most you need is:

1) Shelter - there are some remarkably lightweight and compact tents/shelters available;
2) Water - depending on where you're flying should depend on the amount...at least 2L/day, iodine tablets or a water filtration system are good ideas if you fly where ground water is available;
3) Topographical Map/Compass - it doesn't do you any good to start walking unless you know where you're going.

If you have the above three, you're in a pretty good situation to survive.

Other important, but not critical, items:

1) First aid kit;
2) Signalling devices (matches, flares, flashlights, mirrors);
3) collapsible ultralight in the baggage compartment.

You can survive for several weeks without food, so if you're travelling light, that isn't as important as the first three above.

The general rule is that, unless you really know what you're doing or know for a fact that help is not coming, it's better to stay put and wait for help to come to you.

I always fly with a deck of cards.

Know matter where you are, I find that if you try to play solitaire, within 5 minutes, three people will show up to help you play. I figure I'll just ask one of them for a ride out. :D

Barb

Where water is not much of a problem I recommend getting a water filter. I carry one and a wide mouth nalgene bottle that hooks to it. then I can pump water from a stream or other puddle to drink and don't have to worry about carrying extra payload. Also those silver blankets are real nice. I have two in the first aid kit.

When I fly over water I have life rafts and life preservers. The life preserver each have PRBs and other survival gear. But those are only used for out over water work and are not carried for most recreational flights.

I enjoyed that book too. It's not a how-to manual. It's more about the psychology of survival. It also tries to explain why normally reasonable people do risky, impulsive things. I thought that part was even more interesting than the survival portion. The author is a pilot but most of his examples are from adventure sports, although there are some flying examples.

One of the examples is about a woman who was a passenger in a Cessna (182 I think) that crashed on a mountain in the Sierras in 1976. The pilot and passenger were killed so she decided to hike down. She later wrote a book about it and there was even a TV movie. The airplane came from the flying club where I got my private, and the accident happened only a few months before I started. Needless to say, everyone there was pretty sensitized to the hazards of mountain flying and surviving after a crash so I got to hear about it from the beginning. I'm not sure that it changed any habits for me although I always brought a jacket when flying in the mountains no matter what the season, but at least it was within my realm of consciousness.

As far a training goes, we do a unit on survival as part of our computer-based recurrent training. I guess some of it is useful but most of the questions are pretty goofy. I still can't remember which way quail fly in the evening (or is it the morning), towards water or away from it. There are also questions about how to tell time with a stick, like you wouldn't have a watch; and also how to make fire out of the ammo we always carry on board <sarcasm>. :confused:

Where water is not much of a problem I recommend getting a water filter. I carry one and a wide mouth nalgene bottle that hooks to it. then I can pump water from a stream or other puddle to drink and don't have to worry about carrying extra payload. Also those silver blankets are real nice. I have two in the first aid kit.

I agree - the water filter is something you can't go wrong with, and is something good to have in case you ever need it outside of aviation. It's good for camping, backpacking, etc.

It's also a good thing to have in case you live somewhere where getting fresh water could be a problem in case of an emergency - think hurricanes.

Iodine tablets accomplish the same thing, but: 1) don't get rid of sediment; and 2) leave a nasty taste behind.

Still, water is absolutely the most important thing for survival, so if you're flying in remote areas, you ought to have something to purify it.

Here's mine:

Two boxes of ammunition
One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
Three lipsticks

Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good time in Vegas with all that stuff!

If I understand this correctly, the moisture in the tree will cause an effect like humidity resulting in little pools of water at the bottom of the bag.
You're catching the transpiration from the plant. This is a new one to me. Another thing you can do is use the plastic to completely cover a hole in the ground- use dirt around the edges to hold it down. Inside the hole, place a clean container in the center. Put a rock on the plastic above the container. Water evaporating from the ground condenses on the plastic & drips into the container. It takes a long time to get a decent amount of water with this method.

...although I’ve heard it isn’t smart to eat toads or funny looking fish. Obviously bugs such as grasshoppers and earth worms are edible.
As you suggest-stay away from toads- their skin often produce toxins. Most (all?) fresh water fresh are edible.

...or using an interesting method of batteries and steel wool which I’m curious how exactly that works.
Set up your tinder. Short the battery with the steel wool in the tinder. The battery causes the steel wool to glow red to white hot which sets off the tinder.

Dandelions are an exception to the milky-sap plant rule. The young leaves taste better. Cattail roots make an edible starchy vegetable.

If possible, stay with the wreck- it is easier to spot than you since it is larger.

Great post, Tri. Education can and will save lives on many fronts.

What an excellent book. I read it on a transatlantic flight to Ireland earlier this year. About 90 seconds (I spoof you not, 90 freaking seconds) after I read the following passage...

Deep Survival said:
An airliner is a perfect example of a complex, tightly coupled system: a large mass containing explosive fuel, flying at high speeds, and operating along a fine boundary between stability and instability. Small forces can upset it, causing the destructive release of the large amount of energy stored in the system

... the transformer in an overhead light two rows in front of me decided it was a good time to short and filled the cabin ozone and wafts of smoke. 1.5 hrs from SNN. The closest land was in front of us.

Needless to say, it made me think . . .

Cheers,

-Andrew

Last edited:
9-volts work best for this

I disagree. Steel wool is has a low enough resistance that you will get sufficient current from a 1.5 V battery to ignite it. A 9v battery would actually deliver less current (and current is what's needed here) due to it's higher internal resistance.

I disagree. Steel wool is has a low enough resistance that you will get sufficient current from a 1.5 V battery to ignite it. A 9v battery would actually deliver less current (and current is what's needed here) due to it's higher internal resistance.

It's your field so I stand corrected. 9v have been recommended at seminar but those survival gurus aren't EEs. I did get a surprise burn from a 9V and a quarter.:)

It's your field so I stand corrected. 9v have been recommended at seminar but those survival gurus aren't EEs. I did get a surprise burn from a 9V and a quarter.:)

Well a 9V alkaline would probably work, but it wouldn't be my first choice. Then again the trickiest part of this operation is avoiding burns while you hold the steel wool to the battery's terminals. Perhaps that's why they recommended a 9v since the have both terminals on one end?

Don't forget that you can get free training from the FAA: http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/airman_education/survival_training/

Basic Survival Training
The FAA Civil Aerospace Medical Institute (CAMI) offers a 1-day post-crash survival course for general aviation flight personnel. It is designed to be an introduction that will provide basic knowledge and skills for coping with various, common survival scenarios. Furthermore, this course will teach students how to easily assemble and use a personal survival kit.
I've been planning to do it in conjunction with the 1-day high-altitude hypoxia course (http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/airman_education/aerospace_physiology/).

Last edited:
Here is the thing about survival equipment. It like real estate its all about location location location. No not getting located though that is important but rather the location in which you will be potentially stranded. The North woods of Michigan are different from the low desert and the swamps of florida. Like the Boy Scout Motto says Be Prepared.

Are you going flying? Or on a date?

Here's mine:

Two boxes of ammunition
Three lipsticks

Well Roger Anthony is much more likley to need survival gear while on a date than while flying.

In all seriousness flying in the east where I am you would be hard pressed to get into a place where there is nothing however if you go a bit west it can get kind of remote. That is just one more reason situational awareness in the plane is important.

I have taken a few wilderness survival coures many years ago. Don't know much about toads but Frogs are a good source of protein as are snakes, bugs. The best advice on plants is not to mess with them unless you know what they are. Some plants can have edible leaves and poisionous roots. Shelter is the number one issue. I took a trip in the Absorka range in Southwestern Montana and we were sent out with a poncho, a penknife and a nalgine water bottle with iodine drops. We were only out there for 2 days but the lack of food ( I found plenty of water) gave me a spliting headache and made me dizzy. Energy conservation is another big issue without fuel for your body ya don't want to be hiking all over the place.
There is lots of good stuff to learn. Good post Tristan.

I have taken a few wilderness survival coures many years ago. Don't know much about toads but Frogs are a good source of protein as are snakes, bugs. The best advice on plants is not to mess with them unless you know what they are. Some plants can have edible leaves and poisionous roots. Shelter is the number one issue. I took a trip in the Absorka range in Southwestern Montana and we were sent out with a poncho, a penknife and a nalgine water bottle with iodine drops. We were only out there for 2 days but the lack of food ( I found plenty of water) gave me a spliting headache and made me dizzy. Energy conservation is another big issue without fuel for your body ya don't want to be hiking all over the place.
There is lots of good stuff to learn. Good post Tristan.

Along those lines, there are some very useful guides on plant and wild life that could be stored in your flight bag. Basically, they'll tell you what's poisonous and what's not, and what's useful and what's not.

I can't remember what they're called, but if you're concerned about getting lost in the wilderness (doing anything), they're at least worth a review.

A good rule to live by is if it's red or yellow, don't eat it. There's a reason our traffic lights are red and yellow - those are nature's warning signs. Holly berries, for instance, while pretty, will make you sick as a dog.

It doesn't always hold true, though - cranberries and lemons aren't poisonous.

What's the saying? "You can live weeks without food, days without water, and hours without shelter." Stay warm, stay dry, stay hydrated, stay put - unless you know for sure that nobody will be looking for you where you are. If you're staying put you don't need much food. If you're hiking out that's a different matter.

Classic case: A local attorney was duck hunting a few years ago. He got separated from his group in the back water and was separated and lost for about 8 hours. (I have no idea how you can get so lost that you can't hear a shotgun on the water, but he managed it.)

What did he do to ensure his survival? He ate a raw duck breast. I'm not making this up. He was so concerned about food that he actually ate raw duck. He was found before nightfall and although he was very sick for a few days he did live - proving Darwin was wrong.

Good things to think about when flying that most often get ignored.

I regularly catch comments about the size of my flight bag and items I often throw in the back of the planes but then, when people are looking for things they need and don't have, they ask me for them. Enough said.

What's the saying? "You can live weeks without food, days without water, and hours without shelter."

Us wacky survivalists call it, "The rule of threes"

You can live:
3 seconds without thinking
3 minutes without breathing
3 hours without shelter
3 days without water
3 weeks without food
3 months without hope

Plan your survival gear accordingly. Don't count on taking anything with you, wear a survival vest or carry everything ESSENTIAL in your flight suit.

A knife is the single most important piece of gear you need. The Inuit have a saying, "With a knife you survive, without one you need a miracle." The lowly knife can provide everything else but nothing else will suffice for a knife.

I always have in my pockets: Folding knife, Bic lighter, ~12ft cord. I'm never without a hat.

If I were to assemble a "Pilot's Survival Vest" for overland travel I would definitely include:

-Fixed blade knife, two single edge razor blades.

-Magnesium firestarter (you shave the mag off and spark it with the included flint), extra lighter, vaseline soaked cotton balls, hurricane matches

-50ft parachute cord. No need for vines to build a shelter. You can usually keep this in the hood compartment on the vest.

-warm socks. two bread bags as over socks. Wet socks kill you, wet pants irritate you. Space blanket.

-Water purifier straw (drink right from the stream), iodine tablets (and probably the "taste better" follow up tabs), 2 1gal ziplock bags. Pee in one, use the other for fresh water. Yes, you *can* drink your own urine if you have to. I never have :no: I would recommend 2 bags in addition to any you store gear in, gear tends to poke holes after all.

-Plastic signal mirror, two flares, one smoke can. Perhaps some dye if snow is on the common routes.

-The rest would be ready to eat food like energy bars or granola or whatever. Something high-fat and high-carbohydrate. Tiger's Milk brand always seemed to be a good size to me. I dislike dehydrated food because I'd rather drink the water.

You should be able to get all this in 5-8lbs.

If you do have an "auxillary" kit you can fit a surprising amount into a 1L wide-mouth Nalgene bottle. Unbreakable, good water container.

Survival is mostly about mindset, somewhat about gear. GL, stay safe.

edit: whoops, forgot first aid. Neosporin, clean cloth for bandages (bandana?), pain reliever/fever reducer, curved needle that will hold the inner strands of the parachute cord.

Last edited:

I've always used a couple of D cells in series. Can be held in the palm of your hand.

I do watch a lot of Survivorman though! :)

I've done a number of survival 'courses' and read a few books. My question is, where are you all flying? I understand if you're trekin through Canada or Alaska, but most of this country is pretty populated. I've got water, first aid supplies, a few small tools, and a knife or two in the plane. I think my handheld aviation radio is probably one of the best survival tools.

Last edited:
My question is, where are you all flying? I understand if you're trekin through Canada or Alaska, but most of this country is pretty populated.

There is a lot of nothing between Fort Collins and Tuscon, Las Vegas, Reno, etc. Look at the trouble they're having finding Fossett.

I carry enough to get through a couple days, what depends on the route and season. Winter there are two good sleeping bags while in the summer one light one. Likewise a lot more water in the summer. I don't see the need to hunt and fish.:D

I always wear my survival vest while flying. The items you carry in the aircraft are useless if you need to escape from a sinking / burning airplane.

I carry quite a lot of items, but, as surprising as it may sound, the most essential devices are, in my opinion, the following:

1. Personal Locator Beacon - 406 MHz PLB. With this light, small and inexpensive beacon, the COSPAS SARSAT satellites will locate you in under one hour, greatly enhancing your survival chances.

2. Waterproof Garmin GPS.

3. VHF Transceiver with spare battery.

On top of the above, I also carry (in the survival vest):

- Water Purification Tablets
- Pocket Water-Filter
- LED Torch (water proof-high intensity)
- Foldable Water Bag (5 Liters)
- Spare batteries
- ACR Emergency Strobe (waterproof)
- Foldable Cap
- Survival Sleeping Bag (AMK Thermolite)
- Spare socks (sealed in waterproof pack)
- Hand Warmers Packs X 4
- Water Canteen (Camel Back )
- Bandana
- Survival Matches in Waterproof Container
- Lighter
- Signalling Mirror (USAF Type)
- Leatherman Survival Tool
- Survival Knife
- 20 M of parachute cord
- Gill Fishing Net
- Fishing Kit in Sealed Container
- Magnesium Fire Starter
- Foldable Rain Poncho
- Compass
- Mosquito Repellent
- Sun Blocker
- FOX 40 Whistle
- Paper & Pencil
- First Aid Kit including:
a. Military Type Tourniquet (Silicone Rubber - IDF Type)
b. Military Type Bloodstopper Dressing
c. SAM Splint
d. Neomycin Ointment
e. Scalpel Blade
f. Iodine Solution
g. Syringe + Needles (X 3)
h. Medications
i. Gauze Pads (4"x4")
j. Surgical tape
k. Band Aids
l. Kerlix Gauze Roll

I know that the above list is fairly extensive but, like Benjamin Franklin said: " In failing to prepare you are preparing to fail".

I guess that my SAR training is one of the reasons I carry all that kit...

Last edited:
Holy drek Alon. Would you post a photo of that survival vest. I picture you looking like the Michelin man sitting in the 172 with that thing.

By the way where would you use the gil fising net? If you went down along the coast its pretty populated, Tiberias / Galilee is too isn't it. Your not gonna catch anythng in the dead sea. Is there any water with fish in it in the Negev?

Back