Wild ride tonight

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
After making a few tweaks to the Baron I went for a short flight tonight to verify that everything was working and to see (hear?) if the thicker windshield made the plane noticeably quieter. ATIS called the wind as 330 @ 16 gusting 30 so I didn't expect a real smooth ride, but it was quite a bit worse than I thought it would be near the ground. I suppose the first clue was when the wind tried to yank the wheel out of my hand before starting the engines. During the taxi to the active runway I could tell the wind hadn't subsided much either. Then on takeoff, the plane rocked from side to side to the limits of the main gear oleos and when I broke ground I needed nearly full aileron deflection in both directions to keep the plane level. Hit my head on the cabin roof twice even though I had the belt cinched fairly tight. Altogether it felt like I was riding a wild bull much of the time.

Fortunately everything checked out OK so the flight was mercifully short.

Sounds like my BFR with Tony.

"Fortunately everything checked out OK so the flight was mercifully short"

That and someone not use to "those small planes" with you.

"Work it, baby!"

we had gusts >30kts today too, and that wall of dust that sometimes goes with it - this one reported up to 9K

Ferried a P28A-180 last noc from VYS to 3MY. It was quite a ride through 4500 feet, but the xwind landing though a bit wild, was w/o side loads.....

"Work it, baby!"

we had gusts >30kts today too, and that wall of dust that sometimes goes with it - this one reported up to 9K

my first day at Marfa was particularly windy. While on tow Burt radios "how you guys doing back there?" Matt and I: "We're in the middle of a Martian Dust Storm!"

After making a few tweaks to the Baron I went for a short flight tonight to verify that everything was working and to see (hear?) if the thicker windshield made the plane noticeably quieter. ATIS called the wind as 330 @ 16 gusting 30 so I didn't expect a real smooth ride, but it was quite a bit worse than I thought it would be near the ground. I suppose the first clue was when the wind tried to yank the wheel out of my hand before starting the engines. During the taxi to the active runway I could tell the wind hadn't subsided much either. Then on takeoff, the plane rocked from side to side to the limits of the main gear oleos and when I broke ground I needed nearly full aileron deflection in both directions to keep the plane level. Hit my head on the cabin roof twice even though I had the belt cinched fairly tight. Altogether it felt like I was riding a wild bull much of the time.

Fortunately everything checked out OK so the flight was mercifully short.

Wow....I must admit that this neophyte pilot would not have even THOUGHT of taking off in those conditions! :hairraise:

That was nature's way of saying, "PUT THE PLANE BACK IN THE HANGAR!"

"Work it, baby!"

When I got home I checked the log on my anemometer which had recorded several gusts in the 35Kt range during the time I flew. I suspect that this was the residual mess that tracked through the NW earlier this week with reports of 100 mph winds.

That was nature's way of saying, "PUT THE PLANE BACK IN THE HANGAR!"

Well that was my eventual response, but at first I thought Ma Nature was just telling me to cinch the belt tighter.

-lance

Sounds like a heckofa ride. Not much better out east..

Yesterday we had winds 220@27G42, but it was decent VFR-MVFR. Tonight it was 210@21G37, 1-1/2mi, 300ovc, +RA 29.32 in RKD (ILS is to 13) and 310@18G29 with only slightly higher ceilings and -RA BR going into AUG (ILS is to 17, there). Us and the Beech 99 that went in ahead of us called it moderate to severe turbulence below 1200. As the CA said, "Just point it at the end of the runway, at 40 feet pull the power, at 10 ten feet pull back, and don't forget to clench."

Gotta love calling "Runway in sight, 10:30 to 11:00."

Last edited:
I had to fly in the back of a packed sardine can (737) yesterday from LAX to IAD. Aside from some pretty rough turbulance climbing out of LAX and decending into IAD, we got hit by a pretty stiff wave of wake turbulance from a 767. So much for separation standards.

Back