Wild Guess to install a Garmin 400W

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
Looking at a '67 C-172. It has a nav com, some stuf that needs to be removed - like an old ADF, and an Apollo GPS. It does have a WAAS transponder... and good audio panel.
I want to remove two antique radios, install a Garmin 400W, keep the N/C in place... so basically the job is move up the audio panel about 1" and there'll be space for the 400W.
Seems the best way to get this airplane IFR and able to fly into congested airspace.

ANY wild guess what I might expect to pay for this installation?

THANKS

Attachments

• 66 C-172 panel AFTER.jpg
    66 C-172 panel AFTER.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 66 C-172 panel BEFORE.jpg
    66 C-172 panel BEFORE.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 33
I'm guessing the panel rack doesn't go that high IOW there are no flanges to screw the audio panel tray to in the position you want.

Setting aside the panel re-arranging, I'd guess $2.5-3k in labor to install the 400W. But I'm with Brian; I don't think you're going to be able to re-arrange like you want to. You're gonna have to leave the audio panel where it is and shift the rest of the stack down to make room, as the mounting rails probably don't extend about the existing audio panel.

My ignorance is showing. I guess could move the N/C and transponder down, since the ADF is being deleted. I'm just trying to "keep is simple..." or as simple as possible in the avionics world... doesn't seem like it'd be too big of a deal. THANKS

thanks for the help! Much appreciated.
dan

Back