WiFi In The North 40

Yup, doable but slow. Don't recall any password protection. Won't be bringing a computer 'cause I don't have the payload capacity.

Last year as i remember it, it was only available for 30 minutes at a time. I.e. check your email is fine, but don't plan on getting a lot of work done or anything.

I'd just tether to my phone but I seem to remember that the 3G signal sucked too. Not enough bandwidth and too many people.

On a related topic, Leslie may need a few hours of FAST internet, and doesn't want to drive back to Chicago to get it. Any idea where in or around OSH she may be able to find it? Public library maybe?

On a related topic, Leslie may need a few hours of FAST internet, and doesn't want to drive back to Chicago to get it. Any idea where in or around OSH she may be able to find it? Public library maybe?

There is member's only (EAA members, that is) tent or building that has land lines and real internet. Often a line for it though.

Last time I was at Oshkosh, my mom dropped us of and went into the town of Oshkosh and sat at a Starbucks all day. They usually (always?) have free wifi.

There is member's only (EAA members, that is) tent or building that has land lines and real internet. Often a line for it though.
I know the one you're talking about, but that's for use 10 or 15 minutes at a time, IIRC. She's probably going to need to sit down and do some serious SAS runs VPNed into her office. Thanks, though!

I know the one you're talking about, but that's for use 10 or 15 minutes at a time, IIRC. She's probably going to need to sit down and do some serious SAS runs VPNed into her office. Thanks, though!

Sorry. Like the other boys said, you guys will have a car, so you can visit the lovely metropolis of Oshkosh or find a Starbucks or Panera. Good luck.

Sorry. Like the other boys said, you guys will have a car, so you can visit the lovely metropolis of Oshkosh or find a Starbucks or Panera. Good luck.
Yup. The problem is that she wants FAST internet. She plugs in at home because the speed degradation of using our WiFi is noticeable.:mad2:

Yup. The problem is that she wants FAST internet. She plugs in at home because the speed degradation of using our WiFi is noticeable.:mad2:

I can't imagine where she'll find that. I've never been able to identify an internet source as robust as my own when traveling. Just one of the things I give up to go on holiday.

The only thing that comes to mind is there is at least one University in the area, possibly more. Their libraries will be open, and she might be able to get onto a computer there. The coal library might work, though I doubt their connection will be as fast.

I can't imagine where she'll find that. I've never been able to identify an internet source as robust as my own when traveling. Just one of the things I give up to go on holiday.

The only thing that comes to mind is there is at least one University in the area, possibly more. Their libraries will be open, and she might be able to get onto a computer there. The coal library might work, though I doubt their connection will be as fast.
Yeah, she's actually floated the idea of leaving, driving back home to do her work, and then coming back out. If Odin smiles on her, she won't need to do any work while at OSH, but he tends to be pretty fickle!

If that's true, you have the fastest internet service on the planet at home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

OSH is a communications nightmare and necessity for me. I'm shut down unless I can get on a good wifi signal the T-Mobile let's me VoIP, but basically I just wander around and take pictures.

Basler has pretty decent WiFi in their office, you might try taking the bus to the north side and try that. If you pick the right time of day/night you shouldn't have to share much of the bandwidth.

Anybody in the N40 get it working yet? The EAAWIFI SSID is broadcasting but any attempt to join it here has been useless. Luckily my phone 3G signal/bandwidth seems to be much better than last year.

I get about 1.2 mBps from Verizson MiFi hotspot....but I have no idea what kind of cell signal the north 40 is going to have.

Anybody in the N40 get it working yet? The EAAWIFI SSID is broadcasting but any attempt to join it here has been useless. Luckily my phone 3G signal/bandwidth seems to be much better than last year.
I connected fine with my iPad over by the Cessnas 2 Oshkosh tent. I'm camped out near the entrance/exit by Friar Tucks and can't get it from here.

And now I see we're neighbors here along the fence.....with no wireless :)
N3916R

Last edited:

Nope. Says "can't connect" and dies. First night we were here it connected, redirected to one of those silly disclaimer login pages and worked for about ten minutes.

Verizon LTE is working great though, 4-5 bars everywhere and reasonable bandwidth... you can see the extra COW trucks they and AT&T parked and their towers, at the fiber hut along the road just South of the bath house at the big gate and road split/curve on the South side. (East of the North 40 cafe.)

Also saw some AT&T service trucks rolling down the road leaving the North 40 earlier so the carriers are apparently paying attention this year.

Beautiful night out tonight. Hazy so not many stars, but breeze and cool.

Lovely day... Walked around and scoped stuff.

Cubs all parked together up front is gorgeous.

Love seeing the one old 182 that has needed a paint job for about 15-20 years over in Vintage.

Chatted with Lt. Col William O'Connor, USAF (Ret.) about his 182 and his book on the F-117 just on a chance encounter in the North 40. www.stealthfighter.info

Saw Dave Pascoe (Mr. LiveATC.net) a couple times in passing and talked for a bit.

Sat "on the beach" at the corner where warbirds ends and the taxiway and 9/27 is... and watched a whole lot of folks bounce landings... Way more than the usual percentage this year. We counted six for one Mooney, and I guess I wasn't looking when the Skyhawk did it for half of the length of 36 earlier. I hear that was impressive. ;)

Ate a little food, drank a lot of fluids, scrubbed off all the sunscreen and ready to do it again tomorrow!

Here's VZ LTE at midnight:

a6f986a6-da28-6525.jpg

And me at midnight... Happy Camper. Literally! :)

a6f986a6-da5b-b1a3.jpg

Nope. Says "can't connect" and dies. First night we were here it connected, redirected to one of those silly disclaimer login pages and worked for about ten minutes.

Verizon LTE is working great though, 4-5 bars everywhere and reasonable bandwidth... you can see the extra COW trucks they and AT&T parked and their towers, at the fiber hut along the road just South of the bath house at the big gate and road split/curve on the South side. (East of the North 40 cafe.)

Also saw some AT&T service trucks rolling down the road leaving the North 40 earlier so the carriers are apparently paying attention this year.

Beautiful night out tonight. Hazy so not many stars, but breeze and cool.

Lovely day... Walked around and scoped stuff.

Cubs all parked together up front is gorgeous.

Love seeing the one old 182 that has needed a paint job for about 15-20 years over in Vintage.

Chatted with Lt. Col William O'Connor, USAF (Ret.) about his 182 and his book on the F-117 just on a chance encounter in the North 40. www.stealthfighter.infoMy EAA WIFI 15 minutes later is 66ms/3.78

Saw Dave Pascoe (Mr. LiveATC.net) a couple times in passing and talked for a bit.

Sat "on the beach" at the corner where warbirds ends and the taxiway and 9/27 is... and watched a whole lot of folks bounce landings... Way more than the usual percentage this year. We counted six for one Mooney, and I guess I wasn't looking when the Skyhawk did it for half of the length of 36 earlier. I hear that was impressive. ;)

Ate a little food, drank a lot of fluids, scrubbed off all the sunscreen and ready to do it again tomorrow!

Here's VZ LTE at midnight:

a6f986a6-da28-6525.jpg

And me at midnight... Happy Camper. Literally! :)

a6f986a6-da5b-b1a3.jpg
My EAAWIFI at 12:15 is 66ms/3.78Mbps/0.66Mbps at the PoA compound.

And it turns out that Leslie won't be requiring high bandwidth!

Best WiFi I have found is Garmins in Building D. Ask nice and they will give you the password.

Best EAA WiFi is at the Theater In the Woods.

The N40 signal has been terrible. I've been using 3G only back at our site.

Back