WiFi doesn't connect

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Last Thursday, Xcel Energy really had a bad day, and made it worse for everyone. I dunno what caused the 9:15 am outage (for 30 min or so) but the 9:20 pm outage (just as the Marvels Agents of SHIELD was getting interesting) was caused by a car accident.

No problem....everything is on an UPS and I was able to gracefully shut everything down. Power back in 3 hours, and I'll wait for the morning to worry about the computers.

DSL modem <-> Linksys router <-> everything else.
Anything on wire is just fine. But the wifi isn't. The Wifi indicator on the Linksys shows it's working. But I can't connect anything to it. Well, the only thing I ever connect is the tablet because I'm too lazy to go downstairs to the basement where the computers are.

Check the Linksys admin page - everything appears to be fine. Password, IP address, etc. But when I try to log in on the tablet, the message is that it can't find my wifi network. I've rebooted the entire system 3 times with no change. Doesn't connect to the phone nor the other tablet. Same message on each.

Anyone got any ideas?

Sounds like the radio got fried.

Anything else smell burnt in the basement? LOL.

Sounds like the radio got fried.

Anything else smell burnt in the basement? LOL.
Nope. But the wifi is part of the linksys. Wired connections work fine, just the wifi is hosed.
Guess it’s a trip to microcenter on Sunday.

Nope. But the wifi is part of the linksys. Wired connections work fine, just the wifi is hosed.
Guess it’s a trip to microcenter on Sunday.

Yeah separate chipset and often even a separate daughter board inside. Frying the radio only is pretty easy.

I had a linksys just start throwing spurs all over the lower GHz range once — router portion worked fine — total mess on RF.

The one that took the lightning strike at the old house through the safety ground (along with various other things) also lost RF but still kinda worked as a router.

Been really happy with the Orbi stuff. Last week a firmware update fixed my only complaint with them. Overflow bug where they would stop reporting all devices attached after running for a few months. Which also meant they stopped reporting it to my home automation server via SNMP.

If I could run PoE it would be Uniquiti stuff though. And I wouldn’t run their mesh gear. Too flaky. Wired, they’re rock solid.

No matter what I get, type in another dozen MAC addresses for the firewall....

Well, if nothing else, Ubiquiti has a flashy website. Doesn't impress me.

Bizarre.....did a system reboot on the router. Last night all I did was pull the power plug. Had to re-enter all the MAC addresses, the name of the router and the password. Everything now works.

Really strange.

Also had another power failure. Xcel aint doing so well right now.

I guess that after the power surge the Flux Capacitor needed time to fully discharge.

This is what it looked like in the 49th dimension
upload_2020-6-14_23-14-17.png

Bizarre.....did a system reboot on the router. Last night all I did was pull the power plug. Had to re-enter all the MAC addresses, the name of the router and the password. Everything now works.

Really strange.

Also had another power failure. Xcel aint doing so well right now.

Not exactly space qualified firmware with a separate watchdog. :)

Back