Wifi does not work - Windows 10 Desktop

dell30rb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ren
I bought a windows 10 desktop. Basic computer with no wifi adapter. I installed a $15 wifi adapter unit off of Amazon and it has been working fine for several months.

The computer will connect to my home router but it will say "no internet" with the little yellow flag, and the internet does not work. I bought a new $15 wifi adapter, same problem. Tried switching USB ports. Same result with my iphone hotspot. All of my other devices work fine on the home router.

I tried the "Troubleshooting" But all it does is reset the USB wifi adapter. I have, of course rebooted the computer, modem and router.. several times.

I turned auto Windows updates off a few weeks ago (intending to manually do the updates) as I use this computer for flight simulators and if it decides to do the update while i'm on there, my frame rate goes to hell. My next idea is that I will connect the computer to ethernet and let Windows update do its thing.

Any advice appreciated

Is your router configured to only allow certain devices to attach?

Is your router configured to only allow certain devices to attach?

Not that I am aware of. I have not messed with the router at all since setting the password. My computer used to connect to my iphone hotspot just fine - but now that won't work either. So my guess is the problem is with the computer.

Not that I am aware of. I have not messed with the router at all since setting the password. My computer used to connect to my iphone hotspot just fine - but now that won't work either. So my guess is the problem is with the computer.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with Windows 10 to help.

As long as you are sure your network is working correctly (i.e. you have another computer connecting to your router and it can get to the internet) then in the search bar type "network reset" without quotes. Then press reset now. This will reset to factory settings and you may need to reload the drivers for the network adapter. I would remove network (wireless) adapter first.

I fixed mine this weekend when it was doing that - I wiped the drive and reinstalled the OS.
What a pain in the. Computer technology is still in its infancy.

Back