Wife lost her job & I'm flight training - best city or state to move to???

I have spent many days at the Pinedale airport, mostly in the 10-15 years ago range, but have been there as recently as a couple weeks ago. I can't recall ever seeing any flight instruction going on. I remember the first time I saw Pinedale and thinking, we are going to be coming here every week, why?

You are correct...no flight instructing going on here. I have been going to Idaho Falls for flight training. Looking for a better situation for my training.

Where you from & what brings you to Pinedale?

Houston Texas is the Oil Capital... Lots and Lots of Big Oil Companies.

Yup, with lots and lots of empty offices after the layoffs...

Yes, there are empty offices, but there are still jobs here. We are off 6,400 jobs since December 2014. Not bad if you ask me. See this article...

www.houston.org/pdf/research/quickview/Economy_at_a_Glance.pdf

Yes, O&G jobs are contracting a bit right now, but overall, there is still work here.

Read these points from the article....

Employment Update [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]— The Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land metro area lost 4,900 jobs in July, according to the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC). That was well below expectations of local economists. Houston typically reports job losses in July as educators on 10- and 11-month contracts not working in the summer impact the employment numbers. Over the last ten years, the July loss in education has averaged 13,100 jobs. This year’s loss of 14,700 education jobs falls in line with that average.

Gains in the private sector, even in strong years like ’14, are never enough to offset public sector losses. Over the past 10 years, the July loss for total employment has averaged 13,600 jobs. That’s why this year’s July loss of 4,900 jobs is a pleasant surprise.

The goods producing sector—mining, manufacturing, construction—having reported job losses in May and June, reported a gain of 3,400 jobs in July. The gain was unusual given historic trends. In 15 of the past 25 years, the sector has reported job losses in July. In five of the last 25 years, the gains have been 1,000 jobs or less. This year’s growth is actually the third best July for goods producing jobs dating back to ’90. The robust growth was unexpected given the recent media reports of layoffs in the energy and manufacturing in-dustries. The goods producing sector is still 17,400 jobs below its previous peak reached in December ’14.

The service sector, apart from public education, created 5,500 jobs in July, with health care adding 3,200 jobs, retail 3,000 jobs, and professional and business services 2,600 jobs. Losses in leisure and hospitality (2,300 jobs) and finance (1,000 jobs) offset these gains. In spite of the recent jobs report, total employment for the region remains 6,400 jobs below its December ’14 peak of 2,992,600.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Houston’s unemployment rate crept up to 4.7 percent in July. The rate typically rises 0.2 to 0.5 percentage points in the summer months and ratchets down in the fall. The July rate remains well below the U.S. rate of 5.6 percent.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

You are correct...no flight instructing going on here. I have been going to Idaho Falls for flight training. Looking for a better situation for my training.

Where you from & what brings you to Pinedale?
We come from Denver. When we first started going to Pinedale it was doing charter for an O&G company. Then I started flying an airplane owned by a different O&G company. Pretty sure they have both pulled out of the area. Thinking about it now, the first time we went there was in about 2002. It was a very sleepy town then with no idea what was going to happen to it.

Do you have a job or is your wife the only bread winner? If you do not, maybe you should postpone your flying and contribute to the income stream.

I agree with this statement!

Find work first! Learning how to fly is not cheap and if you are just starting out you don't really know how long it's going to take to obtain a flying job. There are schools here in Florida if you have $70,000 lying around you can go all the way to Commercial. It's intense it's literally a cram session....but it takes time!

https://atpflightschool.com/

I agree with this statement!

Find work first! Learning how to fly is not cheap and if you are just starting out you don't really know how long it's going to take to obtain a flying job. There are schools here in Florida if you have $70,000 lying around you can go all the way to Commercial. It's intense it's literally a cram session....but it takes time!

https://atpflightschool.com/

I have had my private since 1989 & 4.5 years of college where I was seeking a degree in Aeronautical Science. I never got my degree because I didn't finish the flight portion of the degree & then life got in the way. Kids are now grown & the wife and I have saved for my flight training so the money is there. Currently working on getting my tail wheel endorsement & working on my commercial ticket then onto my IFR rating.

My wife would like to stay in the oil and gas, but is willing to cross over into other fields that fit her experience. After 15 years, she has climbed from being administrative assistant to data management to competitive analyst. She has a lot of experience in doing her job in the field as well not just in the office.

As for me, we have the money earmarked and set aside for me to do my training. Our thoughts is to make my "job" for 4-6 months is complete all my training while maybe taking on a part time job like maybe working for a FBO on the line or whatnot. We like to be in an area where I could go to work flying as an instructor or doing jumpers or whatever low time job I can find after I complete my training.

I hope this answers some questions where you all can maybe help us find a direction. Thanks!

What does "competitive analyst" entail? Drilling tech? Production, Land?

Avoid OKC ... everyone there is hurting and the companies that are there likely won't survive until things turn around. Houston or DFW would be your best bet. I know there are more IT jobs in DFW than there are people qualified to fill them, and it seems that translates to other fields as well. If nothing else, she could get a job in another field, and be here for when things for ramp back up.

We must be neighbors! I'm in Pinedale! Cost of living is pretty high here. Second to Jackson! We are considering Idaho Falls since the cost of living is much lower there than Pinedale & I can train at the AvCenter in IF. Wife is looking for jobs in Jackson & if she found one there then we would live in Teton Valley or Star Valley & I would commute for my training. Have any leads in "The Hole" for job for her? :)

Heh, I got stuck in Pinedale with a bad fuel pump once. The local Ag pilot let me push into his hangar. Seems one of his guys had hit a light pole or something recent to my stay there.

Houston, TX is the only answer that makes sense.

This is the O&G Capital. Sure, there is a contraction in the industry, but that doesn't mean all of these companies are going to pack up and leave after building a massive presence here.

Winters are mild, but you're going to have to get used to brutally hot and humid summers.

Lots of opportunity in this city.

What kind of oil and gas does she do? Engineer? Etc? We are hiring Senior Reactor Operators at my plant "off the street" with the right boxes checked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

College Station Texas. Cheaper cost of living than Houston. College Town vibe. Several flight schools. Field O&G jobs and other jobs available

Back