Wicked Good Lobster Bake . . . .

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
. . . . at Wicked Good Aviation, Wiscasset, Maine, 10/20/07.

And the drinks were high-powered, too.

HR

Attachments

• IWI Lobster Bake.jpg
    IWI Lobster Bake.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IWI Lobster Bake_2.jpg
    IWI Lobster Bake_2.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 24
  • IWI Lobster Bake_3.jpg
    IWI Lobster Bake_3.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Wow... I don't know if I would enjoy the taste of lobster that much (I've only had it at Red Lobster :(), but I SURE would like to try!!

We have a friend in Boston that we need to go visit. When is the best time of the year to head in that direction to experience 'everything'? By 'everything', I mean 'everything' except a nor'east'r snow storm.

June 25 to end of October. That's when everybody else - "frum awaaayyy" is here, though after they've gone "home," you can go leaf peeping after having seen the ocean and its related beaches and/or picturesque "hahbahs," as in Bah Hahbah, Boothbay Hahbah(photos), Camden Hahbah(where "Peyton Place" was filmed). There'll be lots of places to enjoy.

HR

Attachments

• Boothbay Harbor(collage)0001.JPG
    Boothbay Harbor(collage)0001.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 9
  • KenBrownsPlace.jpg
    KenBrownsPlace.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 10
Wow... I don't know if I would enjoy the taste of lobster that much (I've only had it at Red Lobster :(), but I SURE would like to try!!
As with every other kind of seafood, FRESH is the most important word with lobster. Even though the critters can survive in a tank in the local supermarket for weeks, the taste does degrade. A lot!

I remember when my parents pulled their boat into Camden, Maine. A beautiful spot in anyone's book, and with water so clear, you can see the bottom maybe 15 feet down. Dad asked the dockmaster where to go in town to buy lobster. The dockmaster screwed up his face, and said "you don't want lobsters from here. To get good lobster, you have to go to Rockland. Here, take my truck" <keys proffered and accepted.>

-Skip

As with every other kind of seafood, FRESH is the most important word with lobster. Even though the critters can survive in a tank in the local supermarket for weeks, the taste does degrade. A lot!

-Skip

I know all about fresh vs. 'supermarket fresh' seafood. I grew up in Alabama, where we could get shrimp 1 day out of the water. Here in Iowa, we just hope it was caught THIS season! :( I'd really like the opportunity to try some fresh lobster, though. Might have to bump the NE trip up on the priority list. :yes:

I know all about fresh vs. 'supermarket fresh' seafood. I grew up in Alabama, where we could get shrimp 1 day out of the water. Here in Iowa, we just hope it was caught THIS season! :( I'd really like the opportunity to try some fresh lobster, though. Might have to bump the NE trip up on the priority list. :yes:

Tell me about it- I'm from Long Island & New Jersey. One of my colleagues invited me for Thanksgiving last year (I was new to Nebraska)- she had smoked salmon (good), but also crab dip and oyster stuffing I could small across the room! The oysters HAD to be dredged last year! I was really surprised they had seafood...

Hmmm... I missed out on the BBQ I instigated at RDU. Wonder if I could instigate a lobster fest in February??

A Lobster Fly-in sounds like a great idea. Perhaps it could be coordinated with my Hangar Party -- which I haven't had time to put together. Probably in 2008.

HR

Lobstahmahn's Cooperative, Boothbay Hahbah.

Loveley place to spend a lunchtime, if it's still there

Lobstahmahn's Cooperative, Boothbay Hahbah.

Loveley place to spend a lunchtime, if it's still there

Go back to review my composite aerial in the 5th post in this thread. For those who don't know, the Co-op is at the near far right of the right panel of my composite. (And "Cap'n Andy's Boat Tours is at the extreme Left of the left panel). Bill Suffa could add to other fine comments about the Co-op.
Google Lobsterman's Co-op and you'll find a bunch of good reviews.

HR

Last edited:
Darn, I wish I had known about that...Wiscasset isn't too far from Waterville/Augusta, I don't think?

Go back to review my composite aerial in the 5th post in this thread. For those who don't know, the Co-op is at the near far right of the right panel of my composite. (And "Cap'n Andy's Boat Tours is at the extreme Left of the left panel). Bill Suffa could add to other fine comments about the Co-op.
Google Lobsterman's Co-op and you'll find a bunch of good reviews.

HR

I absolutely love the Co-Op. There is nothing better than sucking legs on the pier in the summer.

Boothbay is also the place where a furniture shop has a sign up: "Antiques made, while you wait".

Oh, this sounds good! Been meaning to fly to Maine for over a year now. Need to make sure I'm instrument proficient, though!

HR is quite the man to meet downeast. Lives in the "sapphire" of the crown, if you ask me (the diamond being Acadia...)

Cheers,

-Andrew

So- what would happen if Dave Taylor's Prime Rib ran into Harley's Lobstahs? PoA would be eating high on the proverbial hog!

I lived in Boston for about 4 months a few summers ago, and really got into fresh lobstah... pick it up on the docks for about $4-5 a lb... It was cheaper than steak!

Who is coming to OSH next summer from the NE? Can someone bring some bugs? Corn from Iowa? Steaks/ Roast from Nebraska? Potatoes from Idaho? Salmon from Washington? I'll be bringing fresh shrimp from the GoM.

Now THAT would be a POA potluck to remember!

Back