Wichita, Ks airports

NewPilot94

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Cole
Hey guys (and girls),

I've been lurking on here on and off since I got my private in September of last year, but haven't replied to anything or started a new thread, so if this would go better in another area, please tell me.

Like I said, I've been flying as a private pilot since September of last year, and have around 110 hours so far, but most of my x-c hours are to and from about 6 airports within 70 nm of my home airport. My mom lives in Wichita, Kansas and I live in the Dallas area, and I'm planning on flying from my home airport (KTKI) to Wichita on the 20th and coming back on the 22nd of this month, and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions as to which airport it should land at? I've been strongly considering going to KICT, because I figured if I had to mess with being in/around their class C, I might as well land there AND their fuel is cheaper than most other places. I'm going to call them tomorrow morning and see if they have any over night fees/landing fees, and if they do, I'll probably go to KAAO.

If I can make it, this will be my first overnight trip (I've planned on two others, but they got cancelled due to weather), so keeping that in mind I was wondering if any of you more experienced aviators had any tips about Wichita specifically, but also overnight trips in general.

Thanks!

Wichita is covered in airports. I can't think of any reason to bother with ICT. Haven't over nighted there but perhaps Tony will be along shortly and can recommend which airports would be best.

I'd go to the one closest to mom, have a fun trip. BTW, Class C, or any airspace, is no hassle if you use Flight Following.

Last edited:
Yep go to the one closest to your moms house. KICT is very easy to get in and out of

I dont think Yingling charges overnight especially if you buy gas. Probably the same at Jabara. Both have great service at good airports.

Last edited:
Jabara is nice and KICT is actually pretty GA friendly as well. Really depends on which side of town your Mom lives on. I pick airports based on where I am going and, if it applies, whether or not they have Instrument Approaches if I will need them.

My parents and family live on the East side of town, my in-laws live West, so I can use either airport. If you need a hangar Yinging at KICT is actually less expensive than Jabara for transients and last time I planned a trip fuel was a wash with hangar costs figured in.

'Gimp

Plus Yingling has the cheapest gas around.

Also, DO NOT trust the guys at AAO to tie you plane down. This is how they tied mine down.

Attachments

• AAO Chains.PNG
    AAO Chains.PNG
    613 KB · Views: 54
That's the great thing about traveling GA, you can get really close to nearly any destination.

First post - welcome to POA as a participant.

Can't comment on Wichita but X-C's in general: start early and avoid the typical afternoon convection (if it is going to develop); Avoid getthereitis if the weather is marginal, lot's of places to stop (duck out of the weather or find a crosswind runway) between Dallas and Wichita; keep flexible on the departure/return since weather forecasts change, sometimes waiting a day makes all the difference in the world. If you do have to stop somewhere between departure and destination make the most of it and as about local places to eat, some times you find a real gem.

Remember the *hard* no-goes freezing precip/icing and unavoidable thunderstorms. It doesn't matter if you need to be back for work or have the aircraft back, etc. you won't make it if yer an ice cube or an aluminum ball somewhere in the countryside.

Thanks for all the replies, guys! I called Yingling this morning and they said that they will waive tie down fees if I buy gas. I THINK my mom lives on the west side of town now (she just moved and I haven't been to her new house yet. I don't want to ask her because I wanted it to be a surprise lol)

I don't know how comfortable you may be with landing at the 'big' airport, but ICT has corporate traffic and maybe 12-14 gates, so it's not that busy. Plane ahead and have all your charts ready and available before flying into the field. Study the airport diagram so you have a good idea where the most likely taxi way routes will be. Most likely they'll give you 19L or 1R because the FBO's are on that side, so expect that. Have the airport diagram out and be ready with the taxi way routes.
The FBO is right across the street from Flight Safety, they're the ones that got hit by a King Air crashing into the building last summer.
Do your home work, plan ahead and have fun.

Thanks for all the replies, guys! I called Yingling this morning and they said that they will waive tie down fees if I buy gas. I THINK my mom lives on the west side of town now (she just moved and I haven't been to her new house yet. I don't want to ask her because I wanted it to be a surprise lol)

Tell her you have a present to mail to her and ask for her address.

+1 for Yingling and the controllers at ict are very friendly and accommodating. Also the east side of town is a little crowded with airports so if you decide to go to Jabara keep an extra sharp lookout.

+1 for Yingling and the controllers at ict are very friendly and accommodating. Also the east side of town is a little crowded with airports so if you decide to go to Jabara keep an extra sharp lookout.

If you fly into Jabara keep an extra sharp lookout for 747 Dreamlifters on final for 18.

If you have time, come out to Stearman (1K1) and grab one of the best $100 hamburgers around!! ;)

I've heard Stearman has a good cafe there on the field. I'll have to give it a try!

Back