Wichita Falls

pete177

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pete
I'm moving to Wichita Falls, TX (Shepherd AFB) on May 11. Anyone done any flying there? I'm gonna need reasonable hanger space, an FBO that will work with me on maintenance (ie. sign off my work, owner assisted annuals, self sourced parts, that sorta thing) Basically, light GA friendly. Considering the price of 100LL at Shepherd/Wichita Falls Muni it doesnt seem that they're very ga friendly. The few occasions I've flown into mil/community shared airports the avgas along with most everything else was much more expensive.
Pete

Pete,
Try Wichita Valley (F14). Lots of data on airnav that sounds good to me.

I have been to Kickapoo (T47). Their fuel price is less than Shepard, but not by much.

Give me a shout when you are settled and we can chew on a cow,

Is it "Waa-sheet-ta" or is it "Witch-ah-ta"? Last time through there everyone on freq was using the first pronunciation.

The Old Man said:
Pete,
Try Wichita Valley (F14). Lots of data on airnav that sounds good to me.

I have been to Kickapoo (T47). Their fuel price is less than Shepard, but not by much.

Give me a shout when you are settled and we can chew on a cow,

hehe..chew on a cow...too funny:)

pete177 said:
I'm moving to Wichita Falls, TX (Shepherd AFB) on May 11. Anyone done any flying there? I'm gonna need reasonable hanger space, an FBO that will work with me on maintenance (ie. sign off my work, owner assisted annuals, self sourced parts, that sorta thing) Basically, light GA friendly. Considering the price of 100LL at Shepherd/Wichita Falls Muni it doesnt seem that they're very ga friendly. The few occasions I've flown into mil/community shared airports the avgas along with most everything else was much more expensive.
Pete

Go to Wichita Valley (F14). You should be able to find some hangar space there, and it's a very active airport with homebuilders and restoration guys. Several independant mechanics and IAs on the fiield. Lots of good and friendly people on the field, plus it takes about 4 minutes to drive there from the base gate. You get one skinny paved runway, one grass strip that has a couple whoop dee doos in it, and one grass that's pretty washboarded. Take 287 to the Rifle Range Rd exit, it's right there on the south.

Kickapoo is more business aviation, but there was a decent radio shop on the field, you may be able to get some hangar space there. One runway in good condition, and it's on the east side of town. It'll be more expensive than the Valley, but the Valley is subject to closure and sale since it is a private airport.

pete177 said:
I'm moving to Wichita Falls, TX (Shepherd AFB) on May 11. Anyone done any flying there?

Stationed there many years ago...if you don't like the weather wait about 15 minutes it will change. One morning wind chill was about 35 degrees below zero, that afternoon it was sunny and the temperture was 75.

Don't be surprised if instead of a windsock you get a length of chain to indicate wind direction and speed. :<)

Len

Back