Why you can't build a business entirely around pilots

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
Today was a perfect case in point, illustrating why there are so few service businesses and attractions built around pilots.

Our Grand Opening Party for our new aviation themed hotel, Amelia's Landing, was today. We had a fabulously successful party, with nearly a hundred people enjoying food, drink, and celebration at poolside. Everyone enjoyed the tours of the new aviation theme-rooms, and most seemed impressed by how far we've come. The newspaper was here taking pictures, blah blah blah.

The weather in Port Aransas was nearly-perfect, with temperatures in the upper 70s, and light winds. It was a spectacularly gorgeous day for a poolside cookout.

Despite this, we had one (1) fly-in guest attend. Two pilots, in an Arrow. All the rest cancelled, leaving our hotel half empty tonight.

Why? IFR conditions prevailed over a wide area of Texas, both yesterday and today, and conditions are predicted to deteriorate overnight and into tomorrow. Judging by the prog charts, anyone flying in today may well be with us for a couple of days.

And that, in a nutshell, is why any successful aviation-related service business, be it a hotel, restaurant, museum, or anything else MUST be designed so that the majority of its business comes from the non-pilot crowd.

Had we built this party entirely around the notion of a fly-in, we would have wasted $500 worth of food and drink (and that's not counting the meat, which was entirely donated by a local pilot-owned restaurant), not to mention our time.

Next time you wonder whatever happened to that great on-field restaurant we used to fly into, the answer doesn't necessarily lie with the pilots -- it probably lies with the general public who were no longer coming out to see the few-and-far-between airplanes.

BTW: For those of you in drought-stricken areas, Mary and I are now selling our services for a mere $500 per day. All it seems to take to bring rain to an area is for us to plan a fly in! :lol:

It really is amazing. I think we had about 300 straight VFR days down here -- until THIS weekend. :mad2:

Too bad about the fly-in turnout. Last year, when we came down (via Southwest Airlines, no less), the wx was really bad, but 3 planes made it in. I don't know how two of them made it, both in AND out, but they did.

That was a really fun weekend, in spite of the rain. It is too bad it worked out that way this time...

PS: Maybe you need to just plan some kind of "5th Saturday Fly-In" and have burgers and dogs. It can't rain EVERY weekend!

Too bad about the fly-in turnout. Last year, when we came down (via Southwest Airlines, no less), the wx was really bad, but 3 planes made it in. I don't know how two of them made it, both in AND out, but they did.

That was a really fun weekend, in spite of the rain. It is too bad it worked out that way this time...

PS: Maybe you need to just plan some kind of "5th Saturday Fly-In" and have burgers and dogs. It can't rain EVERY weekend!

Actually, we learned a LOT from that first fly-in you attended. (Which was the last time it seriously rained here, BTW!) For that one, we were 100% dependent on fly-in guests, and although we all had fun, it was something of a dud.

This one, we made a community affair, so that if the weather sucked again -- as it did -- we could count on the rest of the "normal" :)yikes:) people showing up. And it worked out spectacularly.

Our next fly-in will be March 3rd, 2012. Plan on it! (I'm sure the farmers will appreciate the rain! :lol:)

They really blew the forecast for the Dallas area yesterday morning...

How? Was it better, or worse?
Worse.

We were trying to get into KADS. Forecast for KDAL was 2 miles and supposedly improving (KADS does not forecast). When we left Denver KADS was reporting 1 mile which is right at minimums for their approaches. When we got there it was 5/8. Diverted to KDAL where it was 3/4 but they have better approaches. We thought about holding for a while but conditions seemed to be getting worse instead of better. Some airports were down to 1/4 mile.

I found a window in the clouds to put 1.2 on Hobbs today, but KRAS would definitely be a bridge too far. Even if I promised to come, which I didn't, I would have had to cancel.

Sounds like you know your market and have done your home work. Hopefully, we will be coming to visit this winter to check out your establishment. Word of mouth is everthing in the pilot's world.

Good luck! Save a few brews for us!

It's just that not enough pilots are rated and current for IFR.

Worse.

We were trying to get into KADS. Forecast for KDAL was 2 miles and supposedly improving (KADS does not forecast). When we left Denver KADS was reporting 1 mile which is right at minimums for their approaches. When we got there it was 5/8. Diverted to KDAL where it was 3/4 but they have better approaches. We thought about holding for a while but conditions seemed to be getting worse instead of better. Some airports were down to 1/4 mile.

We had a guest who drove here from Austin yesterday. He said it took him SIX HOURS, the fog was so thick between there and about 25 miles inland.

I definitely do not blame anyone for not flying in.

The restaurant, Perfect Landing, at Centennial (KAPA, in the 'burbs of Denver) is hugely & wildly successful. Catering to the multitudes of bizjets. On the weekend it gets the flyin breakfast crowd. Lunch is the local businesses (heavily aviation-related). Happy hour is local businesses, of course, it's one of the closest bars around. And then there's dinner and special events such as the Easter Brunch (completely booked almost a month in advance!) Dinner & specials are primarily NOT aviation, but locals. Why? Because it's one of the best restaurants in town with a great view of the mountains and very competitive in price.

Jay,

It was painful not being there. Student made a GOOD decision to not attempt the cross-country, then David and I discussed going down, but it just looked like while we might get down OK, we might not be able to get back in any sort of reasonable time.

Seriously sorry I couldn't be there.

Ryan

Jay,

It was painful not being there. Student made a GOOD decision to not attempt the cross-country, then David and I discussed going down, but it just looked like while we might get down OK, we might not be able to get back in any sort of reasonable time.

Seriously sorry I couldn't be there.

Ryan

No problem, Ryan. Looking at the prog charts, I would not have flown in either -- even IFR. Not unless I was able to risk being here for two more days.

Back