Why we get those two words on our ticket

grattonja

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saratoga driver
"instrument airplane"

I followed Ben's weather review with interest because I too was looking at a flight on Saturday. My flight was much easier though. My wife, still an IR student, needed to get from LNS to Pottstown Limerick (PTW) for a 99s meeting. Saturday morning out, Saturday pm back. Really a very little and minor hop.

Except for the weather. I knew it was going to be perfectly dreadful IMC, but how bad? Well, you all saw what we had over the weekend. Low ceilings, rain, but no ice, not down low anyway, and no boomers. Maybe some turbulence. The only TAF that concerned me was the windshear at MDT. That would not be fun.

LNS is a Loc8 only right now, with OK but not great mins. PTW has a Loc approach as well as GPS and VOR. Also not gret mins. However, RDG is the alternate on both trips, and it has two ILS approaches. With ceilings not forecast to be below 400 feet at any time, I know I am virtually guaranteed to get into RDG.

So we launched. The enroute to PTW was a wild ride. That wind sheer was right at 3K feet, right where we were. I was getting 30 degrees of sheer over about a 60 degree range. I would just about get the needle centered and the wind would shift, we'd lose altitude and I'd go off heading. It was bad enough so that I finally gave Reading Approach a pirep. (That and I wanted to make sure they were still with me, there was no one talking at all).

We shot the GPS 10 into PTW. Not the best mins but it gave me straight in for the runway that I needed. If we had to go missed (a real possibility with the airport reporting a steady 600 to 800 foot ceiling at the time) we could try the Loc28 with circle to land. At least the approach went well. When we dropped down to 2500 feet, the wind sheer abated and I wasn't fighting nearly as hard to get the needle to stay in the center.

When we got to mins, we could see down. Janet was excited about that. But we couldn't see anything but white forward. We were probably 1/2 miles from the missed when, suddenly, the white just disappeared and there was a runway and taxiway right in front of me! Pull the black knob all the way out, nose up to 80 knots, dump the rest of the flaps, and slip like heck to get down onto the glideslope! We were that close and I wasn't going missed. I straightened up over the numbers and made an absolute greaser of a landing, just flew it right on and it stopped almost immediately. Just perfect.

The meeting was as exciting as meetings always are. The briefers thought the weather would get better. It didn't. It got worse. At least the wind sheer abated. Flying back to LNS with calm wind, I was able to absolutely center the GPS needle and keep it there. One or two degrees of correction, etc.

Abeam LNS, we really started to get rained on. Janet has never had the pleasure of skyhawk wing root rain before. She was not happy with the "free bath" at all. We got vectors for the Loc8, and it absolutely poured on us outbound. ATIS was calling it 800 OVC but they needed to run a special.

We flew the loc down to mins as quickly as I could get the plane down there. At this point, we could only occasionally see the ground, we were really still pretty firmly in the clouds. The VOR DME 8 has slightly better mins, and I was mentally preparing to go missed and try that. I thought then that 100 feet would help. Also, my altimeter and VSI were acting up. I think they were getting a bit of water flow over them. About halfway down the approach, I pulled on ALT static and that seemed to help.

On the loc approach into LNS, there is a big square white roofed building to the right of short final. I was sure glad to see that. It tells me I am where I need to be and helps me to look for the approach lights. We were maybe 3/4 mile from going missed when the rabbit appears right in front of me, right where it should be. I get maybe half the runway at the same time. Enough vis to land. Again, nose up, power off, full flaps, and slip down.

This landing was a bounce, but it was clean and we got off at the usual taxiway.

1.8 hours. 1.7 in actual. 2 approaches, both right down to minimums. Experience, priceless.

But... I would not have gone on a long trip in this weather. And a long trip in that wind sheer would have s--ked. You made the right choice for your journey, Ben.

These were my first REAL approaches down to mins. It was SO COOL! Janet is really pumped to finish her IR, and I am ready to go again.

Sorry this is so long.

Jim G

Jim--Great post! Glad the trip went well (and safe)!

It is also a good case of showing that briefers and forecasters are not always right. The opposite is also true.

Tell Janet 'good luck on your IR!'

Jason

Good reading and nice flying Jim G. Were you whupped at the end? I find such a day tires me out a bit.

It's amazing how satisfying it is to complete a trip like that. It almost feels like you are cheating on the weather, especially if you can remember when as a VFR only pilot you didn't have a prayer of making such a flight.

Jim,
Great write-up. I haven't had the occassion to shoot an approach to minimums yet. My wings have been "wet" for more than a year now. Maybe when the cash begins to flow again I can find a few scuzzy days to fly. Until then, I'm a SIM pilot. Thanks for sharing.

Great write-up! I think had I gone, I would have gotten above that windshear, but I now know that I probably would have had to go missed at my destination and land 35 miles south where there is an ILS. Still, I love reading writeups like these!

"Cessna wing root rain"I love that. On my very first IMC endeavour after getting my IA added to my certificate, my wife and I were returning home from Williamsburg in heavy rain. It started pouring in the vents and all over her. She was already green from the turbulence, so this was adding insult to injury. I had to ask for a block altitude because we were being tossed around a bit, and I was about as nervous as I could be, so extra distractions like sick and wet weren't sitting too well with me. Needless to say, she doesn't like going anywhere IFR anymore. She goes, but she doesn't like it. She also decided she doesn't like ice forming on the wing at night either.

Thanks all. It was a neat little flight. I certainly would not have wanted to go much farther in these conditions than I did. I sure was beat up when it was done. Flat tired. We had to run from LNS to go to a birthday party for one of my daughter's classmates. My daughter was fine with the whole experience, though. She claimed a bit of upset stomach going out in the wind sheer/turbulence. But she was running around at Precision Gymnastics with her friends 5 minutes after we got there. Me, I went home, had a bit of nice scotch, and replayed the flight.

I only made a couple of minor mistakes. I rushed my cockpit checks at PTW as we left, and did not straighten out the trim. That made of two take offs, the first one very mushy and the second one a bounce after I fixed trim. No harm no foul and a good reminder to ALWAYS check the checklist. Also, out of PTW, we didn't get one waypoint in the GPS corrected. That was a cool moment, going into the clouds, changing that waypoint and switching from CTAF to Philly Approach, all at the same time.

I flew the needles well, in spite of adverse conditions, and held altitude tightly. Not so good heading with the wind sheer, but those conditions do work you out.

Now I WANNA GO AGAIN! Never enough. But my folks in Vermont got snow yesterday, probably no more IMC up there until spring. Sigh.

Jim G

grattonja said:
Now I WANNA GO AGAIN! Never enough. But my folks in Vermont got snow yesterday, probably no more IMC up there until spring. Sigh.

Jim,

I bet you can do IMC up there before spring. It's not ALWAYS icing in the winter... I got a couple hours of actual here last December. Just keep checking the weather and see what it's like.

Great story BTW. That actual IMC stuff can be fun, can't it? It's a different brand of flying with its own challenges and rewards.

flyingcheesehead said:
Jim,

I bet you can do IMC up there before spring. It's not ALWAYS icing in the winter... I got a couple hours of actual here last December. Just keep checking the weather and see what it's like.

Great story BTW. That actual IMC stuff can be fun, can't it? It's a different brand of flying with its own challenges and rewards.

I've gone out of RUT twice in the colder temps. Caught ice both times. First time October, just a trace, no sweat, got about the tops easily. Second time November, not just a trace, didn't get above the tops. Was VERY fortunate that there were decent ceilings and I could get west of the Green Mountains and lower.

Basically, I have sworn off winter IMC around RUT until I get a much better understanding of the weather there, or K-Ice equip.

I love flying actual. I like the intellectual challenge of it. And I think there are few things better than breaking out low, with a runway right in front of you, lined up... There I go, need to get up again asap :D

JIm G

Its kinda funny how when you get your PPL, you pray for those sunny calm days. You go out and say "Its a perfect day for flying."

But when you get your IR, you pray for those scummy dark days. You go out and say "Its a perfect day for flying."

Have fun and stay safe. :)

Back