WHY was my post moved???

I have no knowledge of this, but I'd hope that management processes require notifying the author of a moved thread/post, along with a reason for it being under review or relocated.

It just strikes me as wrong to modify someone elses work without notification.

My $.02 is that a thread about the US government's economic policy discussing how, to whom, and when it is applied and our feelings towards it are nothing but a non-aviation political post. I support the MC action to move into the SZ where it belonged in the first place.

As it clearly says in the SZ description
The Spin Zone
"The Spin Zone" is the forum for discussions that touch on non-aviation related topics of a potentially highly charged nature. Non-aviation related topics on Politics and Religion are automatically "Spin Zone" topics,
It then goes on to say that
and other non-aviation related topics may be moved here from Hangar Talk at the discretion of the Pilots of America Staff.
So it would seem that the MC is well within its discretion to move topics there. That is why we have the SZ to begin with.

There have a been a few other topics I felt should also be SZ topics as they discuss such non-aviation topics as building codes and enforcement, but the MC has apparently thought otherwise. While I do not agree with their conclusion I accept it as their decision to make and respect it.

By your logic, Scott, every single thread about the economy and response to it should have been in SZ. And that would be ok if they all were. But some were, and some weren't, and it would be nice to know why.

Also, moving a thread in accordance with rules is one thing. But common courtesy and common sense should trigger at least a PM to the author letting him know it happened. If that's not in the "rules", it should be.

Thanks, Mari. That at least addresses why it got moved. I hope if I ever start a thread and it turns political in follow-up posts., that there be an option of removing the "offending" posts and retaining the thread, rather than relegating the entire thread into SZ, where many people won't ever participate.

And I hope I'd get notified of the move and the reason for it.

By your logic, Scott, every single thread about the economy and response to it should have been in SZ. And that would be ok if they all were. But some were, and some weren't, and it would be nice to know why.
I have made that very same argument to the MC.

Also, moving a thread in accordance with rules is one thing. But common courtesy and common sense should trigger at least a PM to the author letting him know it happened. If that's not in the "rules", it should be.
FYI the reason it was moved was written in a post in the thread by the MC member that did move it.

Last night, I started a thread on an added bailout of a financial company that affects a great many people of this board. It was not meant as political and was in the same light as the previous ongoing thread on the original $700B bailout. I recall it remaining fairly cool with discussion on the market issues which were fairly informative and next to no bias expressed.

So, why was it moved? There was absolutely nothing political about that post. Secondly, the party responsible could be at least kind enough to fess up not to mention send an email to me challenging me on the matter.

Sorry, but I'm becoming less and less fond of how things are being managed on this board. Yes, managing the board is a thankless job. Yes, it's personal time taken from your own lives. But, if you've taken on the responsibility and now make claims of how much time it does take, perhaps it's time to bail out and let someone else assist in the measure.

Scott was unable to have a discussion without it turning into a political bash session. It's really as simple as that.

Seeing how I'm still banned from the SZ for a few more days, I'm more than curious who decided to take a perfectly reasonable discussion and make it political when there was no reason to.
I think that any thread about the Citigroup bailout had a better than average chance of going political. Maybe it would help if the OP could add some plea that the discussion not turn political in their thread. I must confess that I read posts by going to the "New Posts" link so unless I look specifically for the forum title I don't recognize whether or not a certain thread is in Spin Zone.

I also like Tim's idea about notifying the OP that the thread is going to be moved.

I have made that very same argument to the MC.

FYI the reason it was moved was written in a post in the thread by the MC member that did move it.

Except that those of us who don't/can't subscribe to SZ don't get to see that - all we get is that a thread is missing.

Scott was unable to have a discussion without it turning into a political bash session. It's really as simple as that.
Well, if someone asks why the government is doing something and commenting that free enterprise is ceasing to exist because of a government and political policy then they had best expect an answer based on the politics. Hence why the post was political to begin with and was incorrectly placed outside of the SZ.

Way I figure it, I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt to the MC. Nothing to get too worked-up about, it's an aviatin' web board with some incidental other content.

Last night, I started a thread on an added bailout of a financial company that affects a great many people of this board. It was not meant as political and was in the same light as the previous ongoing thread on the original $700B bailout. I recall it remaining fairly cool with discussion on the market issues which were fairly informative and next to no bias expressed.

Sorry Kenny, but when you opine on things like this:
Ever so slowly, private enterprise will cease to exist.
...it seems like SZ fodder to me. Note that I am not making a judgment on the merits of your opinion :D

Well, if someone asks why the government is doing something and commenting that free enterprise is ceasing to exist because of a government and political policy then they had best expect an answer based on the politics. Hence why the post was political to begin with and was incorrectly placed outside of the SZ.

I have to agree with Scott here. Kenny's post, started in Hangar Talk, clearly should have been in SZ from the first post. Why not wait a few days?

Why not discuss the issue of a bail out of corporate managers and the fact the deal involves a government stake in the bail out? If that mandates discussion of politcs on someone's opinion, discuss it elsewhere.
The question you pose is a political policy question. It cannot be discussed without a political viewpoint.

That is why the post needed to be moved to the SZ.

If it was about the bailout of the airlines then it should stay in the Hangar Talk section.

In my own view, and in this case, I'm the one who moved it, it was a highly charged topic to begin with. And since ""The Spin Zone" is the forum for discussions that touch on non-aviation related topics of a potentially highly charged nature.", that was all the reason needed.

Some threads get moved to the SZ immediately. Some are given a chance to prove whether they'll be civil or not. It's pretty much moderator discretion.

Kenny,

I'm not trying to pick on you or start a fight, but does it not seem odd to you that most other members do not have threads moved and/or do not get suspended from SZ?

I glanced at the thread and I agree that 1) it started out "charged" and that 2) Scott injected a good dose of "charge" in his first response.

Perhaps you could/should have been notified via PM, but it seems like an anomaly to me. Chuck posted in the thread why it was moved which is what is normally done and that is normally enough. The fact that you got yourself into trouble and couldn't see the SZ is why that didn't work this time. Perhaps you can cut the MC some slack and realize that your past actions are what kept you from seeing why the thread was moved.

In my experience the MC doesn't normally just decide to screw with people. I may not agree with every decision, but right or wrong they take their job seriously. The way I see it, if you end up on their radar on a regular basis you may need to revisit the ways in which you participate.

In my own view, and in this case, I'm the one who moved it, it was a highly charged topic to begin with. And since ""The Spin Zone" is the forum for discussions that touch on non-aviation related topics of a potentially highly charged nature.", that was all the reason needed.

Some threads get moved to the SZ immediately. Some are given a chance to prove whether they'll be civil or not. It's pretty much moderator discretion.

Chuck I thought you explained the 'how' of thread movement of political post in this message very well

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=363681&postcount=12

Political threads do not belong in Hangar Talk unless they are also aviation related.

If you are finding political threads occurring outside of The Spin Zone, please report the thread using the "bad post" button
report.gif
so as to bring it to our attention, and we will move it (provided we concur that the thread is both political and non-aviation related).

Thank you.

I have no dog in this fight, and haven't (and won't) see the thread in question, since I've opted not to partake in the SZ. That being said, if it's not much additional burden, it would be nice to inform the poster of the movement of their thread if they would otherwise be unable to ascertain the reason. Of course, about the only scenario I can come up with is this one, where a thread is moved to the SZ and the thread initiator either cannot or chooses not to participate in the SZ.

If it is a significant additional burden, then don't tell the person, and if they're interested they can either start a thread like this (somewhat wasteful) or PM a member of the MC.

I have no dog in this fight, and haven't (and won't) see the thread in question, since I've opted not to partake in the SZ. That being said, if it's not much additional burden, it would be nice to inform the poster of the movement of their thread if they would otherwise be unable to ascertain the reason.

The "additional burden" lies in checking the list of suspended members every time a thread is moved. It reminds me of a situation I run into occasionally as treasurer of the flying club, and I don't think the MC should bear that burden, however small, when they shouldn't have even had to move the post in the first place. Chuck explained himself quite well in the thread.

Kenny, I'm with Jason. You want to see the explanation, don't get yourself suspended and you'll see it like everyone else. Frankly, this entire thread is sort of silly - Isn't it obvious why the post was moved? I would think that if I posted something of a "potentially highly charged nature" outside of SZ and then I saw it moved, I might be able to deduce where it went.

Where does "Get a life" enter into all this? Who gives a rats-ass what happens to a post on an internet site?

I'll keep that in mind the next time I read one your post on one of the more "substitutive" threads.

Knock yourself out. Just read them with the understanding I won't ever care what happens to them, and will never look to see. No reason to look, couldn't remember anyway.

While the post in question may not have all that much meaning and not a lot of importance to many (in spite of it's national financial impact), that is certainly the case here with a great many posts.

Some folks take the post as verbatim and a clear indication of fact. That's where we must be very careful when it comes to issues such as the FARs, medical issues or aircraft characteristics. We need to care enough about what our post says and how it may be interpreted long after we leave it behind.

Short of the long-standing nonsense on the conveyor, the last thing I want is a new pilot interpreting my posted information and learning the wrong thing. On issues of safety, I care very much about what I write and how it may be read and interpreted. I look very carefully at the responses to my posts, particularly in those areas because I am concerned. It can also change how and what I may teach to my students.

I understand where you're coming from but it's not a good idea to make that a blanket belief for everything you write here.

Like every other post by every other participant, what I write is my opinion at the time. Some may agree, some may not. If their experiences or interpretations are different from mine, or if they know more than I do about certain issues, I'm all for trying to benefit from their point of view.

OTOH, if some mod decides something I post needs to be moved or deleted (probably because I didn't call a spade a spade but instead called it a f*&$king shovel) then that's just life in the city. Dirty job but somebody has to do it. Whatever happens, they can all rest assured they won't have to spend any time answering follow-up messages from me.

Kenny: That happened to me recently. I put up a post about the greatest economic video of '06. I was focused on the part that wasn't political, but after several folks commented, I could see how other parts were political. I didn't really care if it was moved other than the fact that some folks don't read SZ posts.

Just my 2cents.

Best,

Dave

Some folks take the post as verbatim and a clear indication of fact. That's where we must be very careful when it comes to issues such as the FARs, medical issues or aircraft characteristics. We need to care enough about what our post says and how it may be interpreted long after we leave it behind.

Holy $#!+!!! Who are you, and what did you do with Kenny? :rofl:

Back