Why two MFD's?

I would think the 550 came with the airplane and it probably had a KLN94 driving it. The MX20 would be the ad on. If you had traffic, weather, storm scope, terrain and electronic plates you would have disply options.
Just my 2 cents.
Paul

wsuffa said:
You have to maintain them. $$$$$

I didn't think about the monthly updates. That could get expensive. Then again if your flying an 03 Skylane maybe you can afford it!

Paul Allen said:
I didn't think about the monthly updates. That could get expensive. Then again if your flying an 03 Skylane maybe you can afford it!

Not just that, but at some point you're likely to have trouble with the electronics. The screens will only last so long (you know those big expensive plasma TV's? Expected screen life is 7-10 years).

wsuffa said:
Not just that, but at some point you're likely to have trouble with the electronics. The screens will only last so long (you know those big expensive plasma TV's? Expected screen life is 7-10 years).

Your probably right about the electronics...However most of them do not see a lot of use. I have 4 15" LCD displays (sim to the ones used in the displays) that have around 8,000 hours on them and no problems yet. It makes me wonder how hard it is on them to be stored in the dash of a plane. Hot AZ sun - very hard...a heated hanger in michigan - not very hard. Plane vibration - very bad.

In my opinion in the worst case scenario the unit needs to be sent in after 3-5 years and you pay a flat rate of $800 from garmin to get it fixed. Prob not a big deal if someone is flying a 2003 aircraft.

BTW - Plasma screen TV's are VERY problematic and many have had problems in < a year. Don't drop them, pause a program on them, bump them etc and you will have a 7-10 year lifespan.

Back