Why the Skylane trumps the SR20

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Now having about a hundred hours in each, I'd like to tell you why the Skylane is better. All of my reasons are completely objective:

1) The Skylane can beat up your Cirrus. It is bigger, louder, and angrier.
2) The Cirrus is too sexy. You can admire sexy, but never ever trust it.
3) When you make turns, flare, climb, or generally make any use of the yoke at all without generous application of trim, the Skylane makes you earn it. You KNOW you're doing something!
4) You're committed in a Skylane. No parachute, no B.S.
5) Things hang out of the Skylane, and you can see inside better, too.
6) Birds prefer to nest in Skylanes.
7) If you want to work out your right calf and thigh, climb out at Vx for as long as you dare.
8) There are more things to manipulate, grab, twist, and shove in a Skylane.

The Skylane is a man's airplane. The Cirrus is for "date night."

Never been a fan of the cirrus or the mindset which appears to go along with, not all, but much of the folks who fly them.

Not a fan of the skylane, but I know it's a working plane, which means something.

Never seen a SR20 towing a glider, working the bush, on floats, earning it's keep at a DZ, etc

Maaaaaaaan, I thought you had sumthin' fa real.
But now I know you jus be playin'

Never been a fan of the cirrus or the mindset which appears to go along with, not all, but much of the folks who fly them.

Not a fan of the skylane, but I know it's a working plane, which means something.

Never seen a SR20 towing a glider, working the bush, on floats, earning it's keep at a DZ, etc

Sometimes I've gotta wonder if a poster actually read the original post before replying to it.

Sometimes I've gotta wonder if a poster actually read the original post before replying to it.

With how redicioulus some folks are now days, it can be a little hard to tell if someone is making a joke :wink2:

Idiotic statement. What "mindset". Let me guess, they love to take risks and pull the chute.

With how redicioulus some folks are now days, it can be a little hard to tell if someone is making a joke :wink2:

I'm only half joking. I like both airplanes a lot (or I wouldn't have so many hours in each). But I do think there is a certain character trait for each aircraft. They do some things the same, and specialize in others. They get you there at the same time.

Pick what you like. :)

I'm only half joking. I like both airplanes a lot (or I wouldn't have so many hours in each). But I do think there is a certain character trait for each aircraft. They do some things the same, and specialize in others. They get you there at the same time.

Yep :yes:

Skylanes and skywagon's are beer.

Cirrus are wine.

Citation's are champagne.

:cheers:

So what are Extras like? Mad Dog 20 20?

No.... More like 4-Loko :yesnod:

Four-Loko.jpg

Holy crap. That stuff looks like it will get you there in a hurry.

No.... More like 4-Loko :yesnod:

I had one of those the day the FAA banned them (the ones with caffeine). What a great product! I stayed upright from about 7:00 am until 9:30 pm buzzed most of the time. Introduced me to the wide wide world of energy drinks.

I had one of those the day the FAA banned them (the ones with caffeine). What a great product! I stayed upright from about 7:00 am until 9:30 pm buzzed most of the time. Introduced me to the wide wide world of energy drinks.

I was going to ask why the FAA banned them. Then I saw that the can says "Contains Alcohol".

I thought you were a committed Cirrus guy, Ben. Was your Skylane time before or after you began flying Cirri?

I thought you were a committed Cirrus guy, Ben. Was your Skylane time before or after you began flying Cirri?

Skylane flying has been going for many years until a couple of years ago when I started flying SR20, but I still fly the Skylane. I hadn't flown one in a few months until yesterday, which is what inspired the post. Both airplanes are great--just depends on what you want or need.

I'm not yet an owner, but if I were to choose, I'd probably go with a C206 or PA32--need the room.

Love the sense of humor. But two corrections:

* A Skylane to an SR20 is apples to oranges. Compare SR20 to 172 and SR22 to Skylane.

* For 15K or so, you can put the same 'chute in the Skylane (BRS).

Otherwise, write on! I love 'em both.

Skylanes and skywagon's are beer.

Cirrus are wine.

Citation's are champagne.

:cheers:

Skyhawks are Chevy Impalas.

Piper Arrows are Ford F-150's.

Don't know much about the SR20 but I am guessing Toyota Camry.

Luscombe 8A is an Alfa Romeo 1300 Giulia coupe.

In the land of 6 buck gas I don't find the prospect of burning 13 to go a buck thirty a very appealing proposition. I never liked the handling of the SR-20 (that damn half yoke killed my wrist) but at least it's a bit more fuel efficient. Other than that, agreed, apples and oxcarts.

Skylane flying has been going for many years until a couple of years ago when I started flying SR20, but I still fly the Skylane. I hadn't flown one in a few months until yesterday, which is what inspired the post. Both airplanes are great--just depends on what you want or need.

I'm not yet an owner, but if I were to choose, I'd probably go with a C206 or PA32--need the room.

Cello space...

I don't think the FAA ever much liked them. :D

Back