Why Texans shake out their boots

Let'sgoflying! said:
each morning before they put them on.
This thing was huge!

Good God, that thing has it's own zip code.

Tennesseeans do the same thing, but here its the brown recluse that hides in shoes and boots. Bad news.

I should have mentioned that is a large cat, too. (for pic perspective)
I don't mind them and my wife is outside her skin when she stumbles across them so I get the honor and duty of re-location.

spiders freak me out!! even the small ones. I have to get my girlfriend to kill em. sure she laughs, but what can I say....I dont like em.

Michael

Let'sgoflying! said:
This thing was huge!

eeeewwwwww :hairraise:

ANd here I was expecting to see a scorpion.... which also live in boots... and (as a recent transplant to the area found out the hard way, blue jeans)...

I had a neighbor that was a taxidermist when in Army flight school in Mineral Wells, Texas. He was always lookin for critters of every kind. Found a lot of rattle snakes on roads at night. One night we kept seeing lots of little reflections on the road. He told me it was tarantula mating season and we were catching their eyes in the headlights. Didn't believe him until we stopped and watched a couple slowly amble across the road. Ignorance was blessed before that night!!

Best,

Dave

I look at spiders the same way i look at snakes. If they're dumb enough to be seen by me, then they are dumb enough to die a horrible, painful death.

I do not tolerate spiders or snakes in my personal space. Even if they were there first.

Dave Siciliano said:
I had a neighbor that was a taxidermist when in Army flight school in Mineral Wells, Texas. He was always lookin for critters of every kind. Found a lot of rattle snakes on roads at night. One night we kept seeing lots of little reflections on the road. He told me it was tarantula mating season and we were catching their eyes in the headlights. Didn't believe him until we stopped and watched a couple slowly amble across the road. Ignorance was blessed before that night!!

Best,

Dave
There are places in AZ where they live in the cliffs above backroads. When the rains come through, they fall off and end up on the road below...thousands of them! It's quite a sight.

Let'sgoflying! said:
This thing was huge!

That's why Texans carry guns too. Where's yours Dave?

I though getting them in corners was why cowboy boots have pointy toes.

Seriously, I move'em outside they do more good than harm.

Anyone know the difference between cowboy boots and farmer boots?

Farmer boots the BS is on the outside.

Guys, it's awful hot here now: even the mosquitos are wearin flip flops!

Have to inhale through your nose when joggin; the gnats are swarming!

Ahhh, Texas. No wonder General Sherman stayed east of the Mississippi!!

Best,

Dave

Well, I thought it was over - but look what greets me this evening:

Last edited:
Let'sgoflying! said:

Psssst! Dave, keep it up and none of those folks from up yonder will wanna move down here!!;)

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Psssst! Dave, keep it up and none of those folks from up yonder will wanna move down here!!;)
Dave

does that mean I shouldn't post the snake pic?

Dave,

YUCK!!!!! Did you kill that spider? Was it one where you kill it the sacks open and baby spiders run everywhere? We have those kind here as well as Brown Recluses.

The lizard looks really cool though. Im terrified of snakes, but I like lizards.

Brook

The lizard heard there was a giant spider barbeque at your house tonight, Dave!

HPNFlyGirl said:
Dave, YUCK!!!!! Did you kill that spider?

I usually only annihilate things that pose a real health risk to us... this spider was jes mindin' his own bidnes - and they aren't "attack spiders" or anything!

Now, a rattlesnake at my front door.... I would feel absolutely awful if I ignored it, and then a guest was bitten the next day - so they get dispatched. Some spiders (black widows, brn recluse) and scorpions are the same: no mercy, sorry - too much risk.
We've had people killed or seriously injured by these guys.

The tarantula was relocated, they are pretty nice.

Let'sgoflying! said:
I usually only annihilate things that pose a real health risk to us... this spider was jes mindin' his own bidnes - and they aren't "attack spiders" or anything!

Now, a rattlesnake at my front door.... I would feel absolutely awful if I ignored it, and then a guest was bitten the next day - so they get dispatched. Some spiders (black widows, brn recluse) and scorpions are the same: no mercy, sorry - too much risk.
We've had people killed or seriously injured by these guys.

The tarantula was relocated, they are pretty nice.
A long time ago my employer told me if I see a Black Widow to go out of my way to kill it. Since I ran the warehouse and the warehouse was a good place for Black Widows I went out of my way a lot.

I came across a Black Widow here at the house which looked big enough to eat small animals. I coulda' had it for BBQ.

Let'sgoflying! said:

Don't you all grill things like that down there? Sort of like roadkill up here in the Northeast? :D

Jim G

The Yamomato men returning from hunting will bring good sized spiders enclosed alive in a leaf woven basket for their most special women, who after biting the arachnid's head to immobilize the hors d'oeuvre-to-be, enthusiastically broil them briefly (just to get the hair off) before munching down their Epicurean delight with smiles indicative not only of the taste and textural combination of crunchiness AND creaminess but also in anticipation of their "gratuities" to follow.

Any takers ?

Last edited:
Dave Krall CFII said:
The Yamomato men returning from hunting will bring good sized spiders enclosed alive in a leaf woven basket for their most special women, who enthusiasticly broil them briefly (just to get the hair off) before munching down their epicurian delight with smiles indicative not only of the taste and textural combination of crunchiness AND creaminess but also in anticipation of their "gratuities" to follow.
Sounds like your basic Saturday night in Miami, to me...

:cheerswine:

Dave Krall CFII said:
The Yamomato men returning from hunting will bring good sized spiders enclosed alive in a leaf woven basket for their most special women, who after biting the arachnid's head to immobilize the hors d'oeuvre-to-be, enthusiastically broil them briefly (just to get the hair off) before munching down their Epicurean delight with smiles indicative not only of the taste and textural combination of crunchiness AND creaminess but also in anticipation of their "gratuities" to follow.

Any takers ?

EEEEEWWWWWWWWW :eek:

Dave Krall CFII said:
I wonder what the Yamomato women know that we don't ?
For starters, they know what spiders taste like and I don't! I intend to keep it that way!!! :D

It's cute, but I would hate to be surprised by one, since it would make a heck of a stain when I hit it. And I hate it when things go squish in my sneakers. Or bare feet. (Let's not mention dog stuff here.) I used to have those big brown spiders that live in pine trees in one of the places I used to live, and would step on the big momma juicy ones in the middle of the night. Ick. What was worse was stepping on the slugs and nightcrawlers walking out barefoot on the grass back in Oregon.

I guess I should feel lucky I haven't picked up or stepped on any critter that was too toxic so far, since I wouldn't be writing this silly message in the first place.

terry

Back