why so many selling their Stratus units

mv_myrx

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
MV_Myrx
I see a lot of classifieds for people selling their Stratus II units most are on the AOPA forum. For those that have them and those who sold them, "WHY" what did the unit do and NOT do for you?
I am considering the Appareo esg transponder in the spring and question the reasons sense the 2 are designed to work together.

I had a Stratus 2 and sold it as I was installing a GTX 345.

Just like the post above, I would guess a lot of people used them for the "free" ADS-B In data, but as 2020 approaches most of the ADS-B Out solutions being implemented have more elegant, integrated ways to get the In data as well. And more of them have the ability to display that weather and traffic on a PED.

I almost bought a Stratus at OSH last year. Researching ADS-B Out alternatives for my plane is what caused me to rethink that.

I see a lot of classifieds for people selling their Stratus II units most are on the AOPA forum. For those that have them and those who sold them, "WHY" what did the unit do and NOT do for you?
I am considering the Appareo esg transponder in the spring and question the reasons sense the 2 are designed to work together.

You won't need two boxes if you get the ESGi.

I am doing 330ES / 530w right now - but I'll still need a stratus for in - but at least since I'm squitting I'll get traffic on the ipad -

Stratux for $115. Yes, no ahrs yet but it's coming. Weather and traffic for much less than stratus.

As mentioned, as more get ads-b compliant there is no need for a portable.

That makes no sense.

It does if the install included using the 750's ability to control a remote mount 33ES xponder, or a GDL88 receiver for In only (like the Stratus).

Last edited:
I am doing 330ES / 530w right now - but I'll still need a stratus for in - but at least since I'm squitting I'll get traffic on the ipad -

Did you have the 330 in the panel already? If not, what made you choose the 330ES over a 345? I have a 530W and investigating the options to achieve ADS-B Out. Most of the avionics techs seem to want to steer me to a Garmin 345 as The Answer.

It does if the install included using the 750's ability to control a remote mount 33ES xponder, or a GDL88 receiver for In only (like the Stratus).

FWIW the GTN-6xx & GTN-7xx can remote control the remote transponders and the GTX335/345 panel mounts, probably others.

Thanks for adding the rest of the clues to the puzzle.

because they overheat easily
???

I've been using a Stratus 2 since it came out and have never once had it overheat.

Can't say the same for iPads though.

Now, I mount mine on a side window. I don't put the Stratus on the glare shield, although the Stratus (not mine) that we use on the glareshield in the Citation doesn't seem to overheat.

that was my experience i had my garmin GLO on the glare screen for my Gpilot with no issues, co pilot had to take the stratus off the dash every hour on the hour practically because it kept overheating.

We own 2 and have hundreds of hours on them. No overheating issues.

Charging plug issues, yes.

Back