Why owning a plane can drive you nuts -- and perhaps kill you

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
So today we got Atlas out of annual. It's been 3 weeks -- about 50% longer than necessary, IMHO -- but there were no surprises, which is always good news. Two new tires, new brake pads, an o-ring in the brakes, an alternator belt, and we were good to go. Cylinder compression was good, and the oil filter was clean. Yippee.

Two things make this annual unique, for me. First it's my first non-owner-assisted annual -- EVER. Since 1998, I have always done all the grunt work, but this year I was just too busy remodeling the hotel to get away.

Second, this was the first annual ever done by a different mechanic than my old friend in Iowa. New eyes, new standards, all add up to a nervous annual -- but it all came together better than expected.

So, we go to pick it up today. Unfortunately, there's no shop on the field on the island we live on, so we had to fly it over to the mainland for service. It's only 12 minutes, by air, across the ship channel -- but it can be a two hour wait to get on the ferry when the tourists are in town. Thankfully, today was not bad, and we were there in less than 45 minutes.

Problem one: My new mechanic informs me that we are missing the most recent Aircraft Logbook. All the old ones are there, and the ones for the prop and engine are present -- but the newest airframe logbook is AWOL.

All of our logbooks and various paperwork have existed in a big leather zipper pouch since the day we bought Atlas in 2002. It was the first thing I bought for the plane, since the cheap old vinyl pouch was torn and cheesy. The logs themselves live under our bed, and NO ONE ever touches them -- why would they?

So, somewhere between last year's annual (with my old mechanic, assisted by my new one) and this year's annual, the airframe records for the last 8 years have disappeared. They have been in the possession of my new mechanic for the last three weeks, but he did not discover the missing book until today, when he went to fill out the paperwork.

Splendid.

No biggie, he says -- we can reconstruct everything from the 337s, yellow tags, and other assorted gummint paperwork that is still in the pouch. Cool beans. Better yet, my old mechanic's wife says she will be able to reprint all the old invoices, going back to 2002 -- so this isn't the end of the world I thought it was.

After a VERY thorough preflight, where we discovered a few missing zip ties (which the mechanic promptly replaced) but nothing else amiss, we fired up the Lycosaur O-540. It popped right over, and ran well. Taxiing gingerly to the runway, testing the new brakes, everything checked out. Two notches of flaps, and away we went, all gauges reading nominally.

I immediately had two first impressions. First, DANG, it's loud! We had forgotten to bring all the "stuff" from our airplane, including our Lightspeed Zulus -- so I borrowed an old pair of David Clarks from my A&P. Jeez, I had forgotten how awful it was to fly without ANR. Poor Mary had NO headsets at all, and soon understood why all old pilots are deaf.

Second, Atlas seemed to be climbing a bit more sedately than usual. Lightly loaded, with just 2 aboard and half tanks, we usually exceed 1000 FPM in climb, easily. Today, it was 800 FPM. Hmmmm.

Still, everything was smooth, and all gauges continued to be in the green. It was a warm day, near 90, and I hadn't flown in a while -- so I figured it was just the temperature negatively impacting our rate of climb. Out over the water we went.

Other than not being able to transmit on the radio with the ancient DCs, the flight and landing were uneventful. We were planning to fly to lunch, but -- since we had stupidly forgotten all of our on-board stuff, I thought we would make the quick flight to the island, grab our headsets, flotation gear, and all the other crap that lives in a plane you've owned for ten years, and head straight back to the mainland, where we could return our borrowed headset.

This turned out to be a very lucky decision.

After less than 5 minutes, we fired back up and I taxied to the runway. I always do a complete preflight engine check, even after only being shut down for a minute, and this was fortunate -- because the left mag failed, utterly.

When I say "failed", I mean completely, as if you had turned the engine off. Usually when a mag fails, there is sputtering, or backfiring, or missing -- but when I switched to "L", it got very quiet, the only sound being the prop windmilling down. WTF?

So, back to the hangar we went. I called my mechanic, who caught the ferry and headed out to the island. We worked five more hours on that stupid mag, trying various things. First, disconnect the p-leads, to make sure it's not the key switch. Nope, still dead.

Then, pull the mag out (a royal SOB of a job, if ever there was one) and inspect it. We found the contact that rides on the cam to be slightly askew, which made the contact surface about 50% smaller than normal. Could it be carboned up and not firing? Dunno -- so he disassembled it, cleaned the surface, and reassembled it so the full face was making contact.

Put the whole sumbitch back together, pull 'er out, fire it up -- nope, left mag still utterly dead. Augh!

Finally, he decided the only thing left is the coil inside the mag. By now it was dark, Mary had to go back to work, and the flying day was done -- so he took the thing with him back to his shop, where he will work on it tomorrow. We'll see what the problem is, then.

Needless to say, today did not go the way anyone planned, but still, I am thankful for small favors:

1. Redundant aircraft ignition systems are terrific. Were it not for having two independent magnetos, they would have been fishing our sorry butts out of the shipping channel this afternoon, since it apparently failed during the climb out after takeoff.

2. Thank goodness we forgot our headsets! If we had brought them, we would have headed to Houston, or Galveston, or New Braunfels for lunch -- and been stranded far from home. Instead, the mag failure was detected 400 yards from our hangar -- strictly by luck.

And this, my friends, is why more people don't own airplanes. I have NO idea what caused this mag to fail on the first post-annual flight -- it appears to be simply unrelated bad luck -- but I am skeptical of the timing. (Oooo, sorry -- bad magneto pun!) Something ALWAYS seems to get broken during annual "inspections", simply because the process is so invasive. Usually it's something in the panel, after the Avionics Gods have been displeased by having their wiring disturbed -- but often it's something worse and more labor intensive, like stripped screws, broken fiberglass, etc.

At times like this, I find myself wishing I wasn't so addicted to flying.

Last edited:
Isn't that shrug of defeat weird when you realize it's just not working right and you're grounded?

Like how did I break/crack a plug socket off the plug wire on the only day of the year I was flying to Oshkosh last year, in the only shop in Nebraska who had to order the part in... and manage to do it on a Saturday so there would be no way the part would arrive, even FedEx before Tuesday morning?

Glad it happened at "home base" for ya. Goofy isn't it?

Isn't that shrug of defeat weird when you realize it's just not working right and you're grounded?

I must admit that I have been extraordinarily -- some would even say preternaturally -- lucky with these things over the years. Yes, we've had breakdowns, sometimes far from home -- but they have been rare, and almost always happened when I was at my home field, or, stranger still, through some incredible, almost unbelievable stroke of luck, the mechanic magically had the part available.

This time, it was lucky where it broke -- but after that, we just could not get the danged thing to go. Of course, magnetos are so freaking stupid to begin with, and the connecting parts so antiquated (flat-slotted screws? Really? In 2012?) that everything is twice as hard as it has to be -- but, still, we're not talking rocket science. Nonetheless, despite heroic efforts, that mag just wasn't going to fire today.

I hate airplanes. I love airplanes.

Last edited:
And this, my friends, is why more people don't own airplanes. I have NO idea what caused this mag to fail on the first post-annual flight -- it appears to be simply unrelated bad luck -- but I am skeptical of the timing. (Oooo, sorry -- bad magneto pun!) Something ALWAYS seems to get broken during annual "inspections", simply because the process is so invasive. Usually it's something in the panel, after the Avionics Gods have been displeased by having their wiring disturbed -- but often it's something worse and more labor intensive, like stripped screws, broken fiberglass, etc.

At times like this, I find myself wishing I wasn't so addicted to flying.

Yes, although I can't think of anything about an annual inspection that would lead to problems behind the panel. The inspection and lubrication process of the yoke/column is typically easy access, clear and straight forward. As for the rest of it, yes, and that's kinda the point of the process anyway. End of life components break when you take them apart, and the process is about finding any critical components that have reached end of life and replace them. As for stripped screws, you can call one of the fastener companies and they'll have a pre packaged kit of all the screws for your plane, get one for you next annual to change for new. Get yourself a tube of Duralac, when you replace all the screws, dip them in Duralac. Your aluminum will appreciate it, especially there, and you and your A&P will like it because no more stripped screws.

Last edited:
Another thing I learned: When you lose the left mag, you lose the impulse coupler -- which makes starting the plane a real beatch.

No word from A&P yet on the problem.

You never truly appreciate a redundant system until one of the pieces fail.

I had something similar happen. There was a weird hesitation during runup that was non repeatable. An hour later something subtly changed in cruise. A mag ate itself 2000 feet over 100 foot tall New England forest with absolutely no where to put down besides treetops. Continue, land, figure it out.

As other things slowly start to come together, I'm seriously considering a homebuilt. It will have two mags and not some inexpensive one set of spark plugs nonsense.

You never truly appreciate a redundant system until one of the pieces fail.

True, which is why I like my redundant engines. Having redundant engines over the years has saved me over $90,000 in engines by being able to cage them on the first sign of major oil loss, land at a convenient field and execute repairs for ~$100 rather than continuing turning the engine to destruction. Each time I landed with >3 qts in the pan and the engine only calls for 2. That doesn't even start into the savings of not having to do an off airport landing.

True, which is why I like my redundant engines. Having redundant engines over the years has saved me over $90,000 in engines by being able to cage them on the first sign of major oil loss, land at a convenient field and execute repairs for ~$100 rather than continuing turning the engine to destruction. Each time I landed with >3 qts in the pan and the engine only calls for 2.

Ah, only a true aviator can see and book a $90,000 "savings" by flying twins... :lol:

Ah, only a true aviator can see and book a $90,000 "savings" by flying twins... :lol:

What does an O-360 cost outright with no core? Multiply it by 3. My Travelair with TNs would have a 180TAS in the low FLs on 16gph, and 165 kts on 17 down where no O2 is needed.
I spent far less in engine maint on both of mine than my buddy spent on the single 520 in his Bo.

True, which is why I like my redundant engines.

Good point. You gotta draw the line somewhere. However two engines is too big for fun and they also crash harder and faster.

Good point. You gotta draw the line somewhere. However two engines is too big for fun and they also crash harder and faster.

I'll bet you a run in the 310 would quickly disabuse you of that notion.;)

True, which is why I like my redundant engines. Having redundant engines over the years has saved me over $90,000 in engines by being able to cage them on the first sign of major oil loss, land at a convenient field and execute repairs for ~$100 rather than continuing turning the engine to destruction. Each time I landed with >3 qts in the pan and the engine only calls for 2. That doesn't even start into the savings of not having to do an off airport landing.

Not to mention that an additional cost of an off airport landing is new seat covers at the very least.

Not to mention that an additional cost of an off airport landing is new seat covers at the very least.

You know, not once did I ever regret being in a twin, not once. Not that I particularly ever regret being in a single either. I always manage to walk away.

In a 25 year career at sea and flying I have '0' attributable injury accidents to my record, and I have a bridge save using extraordinary skill to save the insurance a $1BB bridge replacement while docking a boat in a hurricane live on TV lol.

BTW!!! If ANYYONE can find that video, I will be forever in your debt. Those bastards and ******* at CNN promised me a copy, I never got it. I have one friend with some crap VHS she bought from CNN but it has a copy block.:mad::mad::mad: F-ers, Any Atlanta lawyer wanna help me sue CNN:D

You know, not once did I ever regret being in a twin, not once. Not that I particularly ever regret being in a single either. I always manage to walk away.

In a 25 year career at sea and flying I have '0' attributable injury accidents to my record, and I have a bridge save using extraordinary skill to save the insurance a $1BB bridge replacement while docking a boat in a hurricane live on TV lol.

BTW!!! If ANYYONE can find that video, I will be forever in your debt. Those bastards and ******* at CNN promised me a copy, I never got it. I have one friend with some crap VHS she bought from CNN but it has a copy block.:mad::mad::mad: F-ers, Any Atlanta lawyer wanna help me sue CNN:D

If your picture is any indication you are not just in a twin but one of the best ever built. I have bent aluminum twice, and happily that was all that got dinged. RE: The tape: If your face is identifiable on the tape but you signed no release you have them by the short and curlies. (I'm NOT an attorney but I sleep with one..and she does patent and copyright work)

Last edited:
If your picture is any indication you are not just in a twin but one of the best ever built. I have bent aluminum twice, and happily that was all that got dinged. RE: The tape: If your face is identifiable on the tape but you signed no release you have them by the short and curlies. (I'm NOT an attorney but I sleep with one..and she does patent and copyright work)

I gave them a release, they didn't keep their word.

Henning:

Many and many a time I have pined for a plane like the TN Travel Air you had - it sounds like a remarkable combination of attributes to me.

I remember being stranded by a mag failure 200 some miles from home. It was the left mag to top it off, so there was no way that baby was going to start. Thankfully I realized that before I cranked the battery to zero.

It sure made for a long night at the country club as I waited for the mechanic to get in the next morning to come rescue me.

What does an O-360 cost outright with no core? Multiply it by 3. My Travelair with TNs would have a 180TAS in the low FLs on 16gph, and 165 kts on 17 down where no O2 is needed.
I spent far less in engine maint on both of mine than my buddy spent on the single 520 in his Bo.

Newly overhauled O-360; $33,860 Installed. That was two years ago. Leading edge skin where a road sign jumps out in front of your left wing; $8,000. New leather upholstery seats . . .

I have a Macrovision Removal box..errr. I mean "Image stabilizer" if you want to borrow it.

Edit: if you want to buy one of your own:

www.amazon.com/digital-video-stabil...W5SI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332807829&sr=8-1

www.amazon.com/digital-video-stabil...W5SI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332807829&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video...XPK8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1332807829&sr=8-5

http://www.amazon.com/Sima-CT-2-Dig...FVVE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1332807829&sr=8-6

--Carlos V.

Last edited:
How many hours were on that failed mag?

How many hours were on that failed mag?

If you're asking me, the short answer is "I don't know". My A&P has the logs, and I haven't heard from him yet.

I remember my old A&P in Iowa rebuilding them a couple of years back, so I'm thinking less than 500 hours -- but until we see the logs, I'm not sure.

Question: When you rebuild a mag, do you replace the capacitor and coil? Or do you just replace the points?

If you're asking me, the short answer is "I don't know". My A&P has the logs, and I haven't heard from him yet.

I remember my old A&P in Iowa rebuilding them a couple of years back, so I'm thinking less than 500 hours -- but until we see the logs, I'm not sure.

Question: When you rebuild a mag, do you replace the capacitor and coil? Or do you just replace the points?

Points and condenser (capacitor) I would think to be replacement items and the coil an IRAN.

Depends on the mag. Bendix S-20, 200 or 1200, and Slicks, coil and capacitor get tested and reused. Only bearings, contacts, brush and felts get replaced. Gear and block as necessary. On Bendix duals :vomit:, the capacitors get replaced too.

I'd have a real hard time trusting a A&P that spends hours on a mag and can't get it to spark. Once it's off the engine it's a ten minute job with a multimeter to completely diagnose. A complete overhaul is four hours, including blasting, paint, AD compliance and paperwork. You sure as heck don't need to reinstall it to check for spark.

Depends on the mag. Bendix S-20, 200 or 1200, and Slicks, coil and capacitor get tested and reused. Only bearings, contacts, brush and felts get replaced. Gear and block as necessary. On Bendix duals :vomit:, the capacitors get replaced too.

I'd have a real hard time trusting a A&P that spends hours on a mag and can't get it to spark. Once it's off the engine it's a ten minute job with a multimeter to completely diagnose. A complete overhaul is four hours, including blasting, paint, AD compliance and paperwork. You sure as heck don't need to reinstall it to check for spark.

No it's not. Next time someone brings you a Chieftain that surges under full power give me a shout after you've eliminated everything without finding the problem.;) Some problems don't show on the bench with a multimeter.

No it's not. Next time someone brings you a Chieftain that surges under full power give me a shout after you've eliminated everything without finding the problem.;) Some problems don't show on the bench with a multimeter.
Ok, you got me. Intermittent problems are a little more difficult. I've been spoiled with having a full test fixture for difficult mags. :) So what was it? Low magnetism or coil breaking down with heat maybe? What kind of mag?

Just got the word -- the coil is dead. Parts are on order.

Should be back in the air by the weekend, I hope!

Ok, you got me. Intermittent problems are a little more difficult. I've been spoiled with having a full test fixture for difficult mags. :) So what was it? Low magnetism or coil breaking down with heat maybe? What kind of mag?

Coil breaking down under high load, dual Bendix on a J2BD.

As other things slowly start to come together, I'm seriously considering a homebuilt. It will have two mags and not some inexpensive one set of spark plugs nonsense.

Electronic ignition, not mags! More reliable, lighter, less/no maintenance, better performance and savings with variable timing. The way of the future.

Like how did I break/crack a plug socket off the plug wire on the only day of the year I was flying to Oshkosh last year, in the only shop in Nebraska who had to order the part in... and manage to do it on a Saturday so there would be no way the part would arrive, even FedEx before Tuesday morning?

Glad it happened at "home base" for ya. Goofy isn't it?

A few year back, I took off early on Friday to do a last bit of slow flight practice prior to heading to OSH Saturday. Both the plane and I flew fine. Land, clean her up, pull the back seat to make room for the camping gear and head home. Check the weather and all is go for a Saturday departure - weather looks like it will deteriorate Sun and get plain ugly Mon & Tue, but we'll be long gone by then. Finish packing, load the car and get to bed a bit later than usual.

Saturday morning, my son, daughter and I head to the airport, unload the car and pack the plane full. Pull her out of the hanger finish the pre-flight, load up and get all the goodies arranged so I've got the NOTAM available, the camping sign handy, the kids have their games plugged in ... I'm tired just listing it.

Run down the start-up sequence and the electric fuel pump makes some funny noises but pressurizes the system just fine. Start her up and all is good with the world (mechanical pump, electrical for prime and backup). Sit there listening to ATIS and I've got this niggling feeling that won't leave. Crap, shut her down just to double check. Hit the electric pump and nothing. A few hours later after checking all connections, replacing the switch and trying everything else, it becomes clear that the pump has failed. To add insult to injury, I start her up and taxi her back to the hanger ... she runs just fine, I've never had a mechanical pump failure ... hummmm.

Look at the plane full of crap. Look at the map - it'll be a 8 hour drive instead of a pleasant 2-2.5 hr flight (and I've got to drive through Chicago no less). Look at the weather, tomorrow looks iffy, Monday and Tuesday will be no go. Sit there in the idling plane ... shoot.

Shut her down, unload, pack the car, drive.

Yea, the electrical is a secondary and lord known many a plane have flown with only a single mechanical pump, but I land faster than a Cub and I had the kids too. Still don't know if I made the "right" decision (well, I do know that the mechanical pump still hasn't failed), but I got to and from OSH just fine and we had a blast. The kids still remember unloading the plane and reloading the car ...

Still don't know if I made the "right" decision (well, I do know that the mechanical pump still hasn't failed), but I got to and from OSH just fine and we had a blast. The kids still remember unloading the plane and reloading the car ...

Those are the ones that drive you nuts.

We had a problem with our Ercoupe where the engine would sputter and sometimes quit when you hit *just* the right throttle setting, especially when cold. This was disconcerting and worrisome, but one of my partners -- our A&P -- said it wasn't a problem in flight, because the prop was windmilling as you passed that little spot. And he was right -- it never was a problem in flight, and it was easy to work around on the ground.

My other partner and I (there were three of us on this little plane, that we bought so our kids would have something cheap to fly), however, sort of "ganged up" against our A&P partner, and basically made him rebuild the carb.

We just didn't like that little sputter, no matter how much our A&P told us not to worry about it. Sometimes you make decisions with your gut. I like to think that I'm still alive at age 53 because of making good, cautious decisions, even though I choose to do some fairly dangerous hobbies.

Yeah, I just asked due to false hope that an inspection every 500hrs will find something like that.

Flying the Free Bird on its inaugural flight back from Oshkosh one of my mags failed just as I was going to lift off from the fuel stop near my home drome. Arghh.

Back