Why owner pilots suck...

Lol, look at it from my point of view, owner/pilot/mechanic

I will have a very hard time finding someone else to blame should I crash :rofl:

I own an aircraft and fly for recreation. I also fly professionally getting paid to do literally the easiest job I've ever had. If that means I suck, I'll take it.:)

I utterly fail to support an A&P's standard of living. :D

I utterly fail to support an A&P's standard of living. :D

on the contrary actually, by renting you are shortening the calender time between 100hr inspections. If you owned the aircraft you'd only need an annual :D

2. You do not pay out the butt to maintain one, either. :lol:

Truth!

I went to the airport to visit my broken airplane today. Still love her even when she's broken. :yesnod:

My name is John and I own an airplane.
Therefore, I am better than you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If owning an airplane means you can tell me I suck, go ahead. Doesn't bother me.

I have been this >< close to selling my plane for several years now. The two happiest days of a airplane owner's life are....

I have been this >< close to selling my plane for several years now. The two happiest days of a airplane owner's life are....

I think selling is more bittersweet. But it also seems like you've had a number of expenses with your plane without a lot of use.

on the contrary actually, by renting you are shortening the calender time between 100hr inspections. If you owned the aircraft you'd only need an annual :D

I think you missed my point - I do own - an experimental - no A&P involved. I haven't rented an airplane in almost 10 years. In fact, it was the outrageous cost of certificated ownership and the sad condition of the rentals that pushed me to build my own.

I think you missed my point - I do own - an experimental - no A&P involved. I haven't rented an airplane in almost 10 years. In fact, it was the outrageous cost of certificated ownership and the sad condition of the rentals that pushed me to build my own.

I did miss understand, well done then!

-VanDy

I think selling is more bittersweet. But it also seems like you've had a number of expenses with your plane without a lot of use.

The challenge is that I'm not using it as much as I formerly did. Partly due to less business travel, partly due to the traffic to the airport & associated hassle. At $400/month for a hanger plus insurance, annual, charts/data, and other expenses the starting price is $10K/year even if I don't fly at all. Much harder to justify.

The challenge is that I'm not using it as much as I formerly did. Partly due to less business travel, partly due to the traffic to the airport & associated hassle. At $400/month for a hanger plus insurance, annual, charts/data, and other expenses the starting price is $10K/year even if I don't fly at all. Much harder to justify.

That's pretty impressive - I figure about $10k is the "zero fly" budget on the 310 as well. Although our hangar is cheaper, insurance probably isn't much different, and I'd bet that labor is cheaper.

If I lived in a true big city, well, I just wouldn't.

Back