Why not to shop online

Yes!

Perhaps a little lawyer fun will make them think twice about using personal information for profit without the users permission.

Facebook is run by early 20-somethings. It's fun to start a company with your friends, but at some point you should cash in, hand the company over to grown-ups, and get started on crashing your Ferrari into a telephone phone, with a passenger that you thought was a woman, but that when reading the police report, you learn he really wasn't.
-harry

It's fun to start a company with your friends, but at some point you should cash in, hand the company over to grown-ups, and get started on crashing your Ferrari into a telephone phone, with a passenger that you thought was a woman, but that when reading the police report, you learn he really wasn't.
Precisely!!

Facebook is run by early 20-somethings. It's fun to start a company with your friends, but at some point you should cash in, hand the company over to grown-ups, and get started on crashing your Ferrari into a telephone phone, with a passenger that you thought was a woman, but that when reading the police report, you learn he really wasn't.
-harry

Is that biographical or did you have someone else in mind when you wrote it? :D:D;);)

If I bought I diamond ring for my wife from Overstock.com I'd be embarrassed, too.

If I bought I diamond ring for my wife from Overstock.com I'd be embarrassed, too.

And worse, SHE had to ask him who he intended to give the ring to. Wanna wager on how long the marriage will last?

And worse, SHE had to ask him who he intended to give the ring to. Wanna wager on how long the marriage will last?

Oh come on, when your SO keeps telling you that he's absolutely not buying you jewelry for x-mas and it shows up that he bought a ring online... wouldn't you ask too?

Missa

Last edited:
Oh come on, when your SO keeps telling you that he's absolutely not buying you jewelry for x-mas and it shows up that he bought a ring online... wouldn't you ask to?

Missa

Why spoil the surprise? Ask (with frying pan in hand, if necessary) after the holiday.... :D

I'd be embarrassed too if it was announced that the ring I bought for my wife was only .2ct

Why spoil the surprise? Ask (with frying pan in hand, if necessary) after the holiday.... :D

Yea, but the suprise was already spoiled... except maybe the frying pan suprise on x-mas day if the ring doesn't show up under the tree.

:blowingkisses:

Missa

The worst part was that once the "surprise" was spoiled, he had to give the ring to his wife, and his girlfriend gets a new toaster oven.
-harry

Perhaps the ring was to be used in the kitchen after all (see attached):

Attachments

• kitchen.jpg
    kitchen.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 49
Ahhh what a numnut!

What do you expect when you put your private information out there for everyone to see? This Facebook/MySpace phenomenon is amazing, in that it proves just how stupid 98% of the population is.

hey i like my facebook! its nice for keeping up on what my friends are up to. most of them i would be totally clueless as to where they live and what they are doing. of course you need to decide how much personal info you want to put out and some people are dumb about that. I never noticed this new app, but IIRC pretty much all the apps on facebook are opt in as you have to add them to your account. I have never noticed anything on my news feed about people buying anything. and even according to the article, the guy did have to click an OK box or something to make it show up on his account.

hey i like my facebook! its nice for keeping up on what my friends are up to. most of them i would be totally clueless as to where they live and what they are doing. of course you need to decide how much personal info you want to put out and some people are dumb about that. I never noticed this new app, but IIRC pretty much all the apps on facebook are opt in as you have to add them to your account. I have never noticed anything on my news feed about people buying anything. and even according to the article, the guy did have to click an OK box or something to make it show up on his account.

According to the artical you have to click an OK box NOW, but not untill after this guy complained.

from the article...

In the version that Facebook launched, a person logged into Facebook who bought, say, a movie ticket, was alerted that the Web site was sending a "story" to his profile and had a chance to opt out -- both at the merchant's site and on his own page, Facebook says.

and i looked in my applications on Facebook, and Beacon is not listed. So apparently this guy made the concious decision to add it to his profile and then bitched when it did exactly what it said it would. wah wah ma cry cry

from the article...

and i looked in my applications on Facebook, and Beacon is not listed. So apparently this guy made the concious decision to add it to his profile and then bitched when it did exactly what it said it would. wah wah ma cry cry
Tony,

I don't think that is how it works. "Beacon" is not a Facebook application, it is a feature available to their paid advertisers that interfaces with your news feed and (I believe) several other of your applications including two that you automatically receive when you register for Facebook: "Gifts", and "Marketplace." You must control it from your news feed privacy settings. The problem was the default settings in your news feed automatically allowed it.

When you signed up to Facebook, by default the scheme occurred.

http://www.facebook.com/privacy.php?view=feeds

Even now with the new change the steps to opt out are many and not immediately obvious.

Last edited:
interesting, i dont see any way at all to adjust privacy settings on marketplace and gifts

interesting, i dont see any way at all to adjust privacy settings on marketplace and gifts

See what I mean? ;)

There is a tiny link to "edit applications" after the sentence "News Feed and Mini-Feed may publish stories about your applications" on the lower right hand side of the page I linked above. From there you have to individually change the settings of every single application to opt out of info being included in the news feeds, if you wish.

See what I mean? ;)

There is a tiny link to "edit applications" after the sentence "News Feed and Mini-Feed may publish stories about your applications" on the lower right hand side of the page I linked above. From there you have to individually change the settings of every single application to opt out of info being included in the news feeds, if you wish.

"The plans were on file at the town hall. If you can't take an interest in local affairs, well, I'm not to blame."

- "It was in the upper drawer of the file cabinet in the unlit, darkened basement, in an unused lavatory, behind a sign which read, 'Mind the leopard.'

of course you need to decide how much personal info you want to put out and some people are dumb about that.

More than some. I scanned MySpace once for grins - it's a vast wasteland. Glad you get some utility out of it. As for me, those who need to know, know. Those who don't sure won't see me on MySpace.

Ahhh what a numnut!

What do you expect when you put your private information out there for everyone to see? This Facebook/MySpace phenomenon is amazing, in that it proves just how stupid 98% of the population is.

Wow and here I thought I was a techno idiot but I'm among the 2% that are smart as I have neither a facebook or MySpace account.

I'm in your group. One of my female friends set up an account on one of the two sites, sent word of same to many of her friends, and invited said recipients to join. I didn't. Several weeks later there was information in her posting which -- though no names were mentioned -- I'm certain was in reference to me. Nothing damaging, but if I want people to know my personal business I'll divulge it; I don't need it on a bulletin board.

HR

-harry

Facebook is also a 10 billion dollar company. Not bad for some 20 somethings. Of course I don't expect the companies value to hold. If I were them--I'd cash out and fly airplanes all day. Of course--they are the business types and this is what they enjoy.

Back