Why No AirPlay Printers detected?

Crashnburn

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Crashnburn
Last week, both my wife and I were able to airprint to our HP mfp477 office printer. Now, neither of us can find it on our iPhones. I did struggle installing a Canon Pixma 3200 printer, but it prints wirelessly.

Has anyone run into this issue before?
I’m heading to Best Buy to pick up my computer and will see if they’ll let me try to find one of their AirPlay printers, if they have any. Should help narrow the issue.

Because Apple.

AirPrint is for s*** when there are vlans or multiple wifi networks on a premises. If everything is on the same network, fine, but if not there are all kind of routing gyrations that need to be set up. And even then it may not work.

Thanks for the hint. Turns out one of our wireless routers decided to go belly up. That’s why my other printer wouldn’t connect on it.

It took me a few minutes to reconfigure the HP printer to use our other router, and my wife is back in business, literally. Luckily, we had a second router which was supplied by AT&T, but it’s not compatible with our satellite TV. I’ve already ordered a replacement for the failed router; it’s an upgraded version of the one that failed.

Your printer changed IP addresses - I find that most wifi printers work best with dedicated assigned IP4 addresses. Yes - its a hassle - but - once you reserve IP addresses for your printers everything seems to work better.

I don't understand why printer companies [listening Canon, HP and Lexmark?] can't create a dedicated wifi address for the printer [use the mac address] and have an app connect to that wifi address and let you configure the stupid thing using a visual screen based system instead of the painful LCD line screens used on most printers. You can do that with thermostats, scanners and all sorts of peripherals . . .

Hey there!!! Long time no see!!! Glad to have you back on the forum! Hope all has been going well on your end of the world!
yeah - just got bored so decided to check things out again!

The printer didn’t change IP addresses. The WiFi router it was on died. I changed the IP address to the other router’s IP address and all is happy.

Last edited:
Back