Why land in the grass when paved is available?

mattg

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
Saw this video going through the old posts in the Daily Pics thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuyCC9LvleM

there are a few planes landing in the grass in the video.. I can't figure out (aside from practice) why would you elect to land in the grass (and where others are taxiing) when a nice paved runway exists not 50 feet to the left?

a well maintained grass runway is nicer to land on than a paved runway - softer and less wear on the tires

Why is it nicer to sit under a tree instead of a big umbrella? Why is it nicer to go to the park for a walk instead of the concrete jungles of downtown? Why does an apple picked right off the tree taste so much better than the one off the display at the supermarket? Why does a hotdog roasted over a campfire--and burnt a bit--taste far more delicious than the one from the hotdog stand?

Some people do prefer the city and the supermarket food and the sterile hotdog. Those are the people that prefer pavement and are afraid of grass and a few bumps and slithers and dust.

Dan

In a tailwheel, if there is any crosswind I prefer a grass surface. The tires can slide sideways slightly, making it easier to keep the airplane straight. Tires tend to "grab" on asphalt, magnifying any slight sideward motion.

Our airport has a grass strip next to the paved runway, and I would always opt to land on it in my Sport Cub. More fun, too.

Also, big, low-pressure tires (expensive!) wear out quickly on pavement.

Taildraggers would most all say why land on pavement when a nice grass strip is next to it.

Pavement is ok if you don't have skis in the winter or if the grass is soft in the spring.

I saw a number of people taxiing on the pavement as well.

In a tailwheel, if there is any crosswind I prefer a grass surface. The tires can slide sideways slightly, making it easier to keep the airplane straight. Tires tend to "grab" on asphalt, magnifying any slight sideward motion.

Exactly. When I did my TW in the Luscombe the CFI made me do all my work on the asphalt RW 10 at X51 and not on the grass RW 9 right next to it. Add in the consistent 10kt or so xwind and it was a good education.

Exactly. When I did my TW in the Luscombe the CFI made me do all my work on the asphalt RW 10 at X51 and not on the grass RW 9 right next to it. Add in the consistent 10kt or so xwind and it was a good education.

The reason the CFI insisted on hard surface is that it's easier to land on grass and control the aircraft. Brake inputs result in fewer mistakes with the new pilot, easier to keep the aircraft straight in a cross wind, etc. this question shows that most are not checked out in a taildragger. If you still question this, grab a Stearman and try both, or a champ, taylorcraft, Luscombe, etc. 10 knots not a big deal but 15 to 20 a whole different story.

The reason the CFI insisted on hard surface is that it's easier to land on grass and control the aircraft. Brake inputs result in fewer mistakes with the new pilot, easier to keep the aircraft straight in a cross wind, etc. this question shows that most are not checked out in a taildragger. If you still question this, grab a Stearman and try both, or a champ, taylorcraft, Luscombe, etc. 10 knots not a big deal but 15 to 20 a whole different story.

Exactly my point, he was not cutting me any slack. Glad he didn't.

Come on out to 5V4 and land on the mix of dirt and AstroTurf. Heh. It's kinda fun in a weird way.

Not at ONZ today.

The pavement had about 2-3 inches of fresh loose snow on top of solid ice. Loosey Goosey Baby!

Your tires last forever on grass. Mine dry rot before they go bald.

I went flying with a fella who refused to land on pavement unless it was absolutely necessary. Said it saved him a quarter to put it on grass then pavement.

I love me some grass. Runway - that is.

Easy on the tires, and brakes. Cool factor. Impress the natives. What's the problem? :)

Don't like wet grass though.

It's one of those things that can't be explained to those that have to ask ;)

To the OP:

Slide your ass on the grass, then on the pavement, and tell me which you prefer.

Like landing on grass ,nice feel ,saves on tires and brakes. Like pavement for take offs.

No gas, no grass, no ass? No free ride!

Anybody remember that?

I don't know why I threw that in here. Y'all were talking about grass and ass and stuff...

If you have ever flown a tail dragger without brakes and with a tailskid, you would appreciate being able to land on grass!

For the same reason I prefer to run on soft surfaces than on asphalt… somehow grass feels less hard on the plane than hard surfaces, but maybe that's just a feeling. Curious about whether there really is less wear and tear during grass landings. I agree that it's easier to take off from asphalt, especially if damp, but a smooth, well kept grass field is a pleasure.

Last edited:
helpful.

You found my reason for the post.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm still very new to flying.

I land on the grass next to the runway at my airport all the time. It's easier on the tires.

When I was an instructor in a college-based program, we sometimes got guys that already had PPLs. We'd start working on the CPL and sometimes, coming back to the airport, we'd tell the student to land on the grass alongside the runway. "What?!!" they'd cry. "You can do that? Isn't that dangerous??"

Dan

Probably 99% of us renters have been prohibited from landing on grass. :(

I've rented from 3 different FBOs and they each have different restrictions.

FBO #1 said: no grass fields except - Kxxx, Kyyy, Kzzz. These are fields that are used a lot for training and are well known to the FBO as being well maintained.

FBO #2 said: no restriction as long as it's a public use field and no gravel.

FBO #3: I don't remember, right now, I do need to check.

Back