Why is This Even Possible???

K

KennyFlys

Off-Duty Wis. Deputy Sheriff Kills 6

CRANDON, Wis. — An off-duty sheriff's deputy went on a shooting rampage early Sunday at a home where seven young people had gathered for pizza and movies, killing six and critically injuring the other before authorities fatally shot him, officials said.

The gunman, Tyler Peterson, was 20 years old and worked full-time as a Forest County deputy sheriff and part-time as a Crandon police officer, said Police Chief John Dennee.
It's true a twenty-year-old is given some pretty important responsibilities in the armed forces. But, they aren't given a weapon and the authority of a law enforcement officer.

I can't comprehend many, if any at all, such young men being qualified, let alone mentally and emotionally capable of such a job. That's not to say an older, more mature individual couldn't commit such an act but at least there had been time to prove some stability. How can one go from having proved them self to suddenly being a murderer???

It's true a twenty-year-old is given some pretty important responsibilities in the armed forces. But, they aren't given a weapon and the authority of a law enforcement officer.

I can't comprehend many, if any at all, such young men being qualified, let alone mentally and emotionally capable of such a job. That's not to say an older, more mature individual couldn't commit such an act but at least there had been time to prove some stability. How can one go from having proved them self to suddenly being a murderer???

Proved themselves what? "Cop" is no indicator of mental stability, that's for sure. They span the entire range of humanity. Lot's of cops are cops because they were beat up in school....

Proved themselves what? "Cop" is no indicator of mental stability, that's for sure. They span the entire range of humanity. Lot's of cops are cops because they were beat up in school....
And there are those who are cops because they were bullies.
Being a cop doesn't automatically grant you amnesty from any or all of humanities maladies.

I'm pretty sure you can be an MP before you're 20 in the armed forces...

As to this story though, sadly I've seen a number of police departments in SC who have been scraping the bottom of the barrel to keep their numbers up. Florence even has a reserve unit for people to work part time as a traffic cop.

But as Henning mentioned, being an officer doesn't keep you from being mentally unstable. The process SHOULD weed out the bad apples, but as we've seen, it doesn't work 100%. Truly sad event.

And there are those who are cops because they were bullies.
Being a cop doesn't automatically grant you amnesty from any or all of humanities maladies.

Does anyone watch the Sarah Silverman show??

There is a scene where she is getting a ticket and the cop says to her, "Do you know why I am standing here?" Her retort, "because you got C's in High School?" :D:D;);):D:D

Wanna bet that would not get you out of a ticket in real life? :no::no::no:

No, what I'm saying is why be so desperate to hire someone who has yet to prove a stability between normal functions, work and relationships with people in general.

Is twenty old enough for one to have proved that? I'd rather see a police recruit not even considered until 25. I'm wondering what the minimum ages are at various state training facilities or if there's a state minimum for a commissioned police officer.

Sure they are, all the time. You think MPs do not have police powers, you would be wrong. Those police powers extend to the civilians as well. MPs and the like are federal law enforcement officers. My very last job in the USAF was in a security police squadron in the reserves. We had plenty of the 18, 19, and 20 year old kids with guns arresting and ticketing civilians when those civilians broke the law on base. Which consider the base was primarily civilian populated was quit often.

Is twenty old enough for one to have proved that? I'd rather see a police recruit not even considered until 25. I'm wondering what the minimum ages are at various state training facilities or if there's a state minimum for a commissioned police officer.

When I started in law enforcement, you could be licensed as a peace officer at 19 1/2. I didn't start until I was 22, but I had friends who started at 19 1/2 or 20. It was pretty funny to see them try to buy ammo for their duty weapons, which you couldn't buy until you were 21 (although there was an exemption for LEO's, but most gun store owners still gave them grief).

Now in Texas, you can't be licensed until you are 21, and a psychological exam is required (among others). Although, after coming out of that day long series of psychological tests, I was beginning to doubt my own sanity. Add the polygraph to it and my stress level was pretty pegged (I hate those things). I'll be the first to admit you have to be just a tiny bit off to want to do this for a living anyway, especially for what it pays. :D

Sad event, but there's no guarantee that all the psychological testing in the world will be 100% effective in preventing this sort of thing. People (in all professions) snap for all sorts of reasons.

No, what I'm saying is why be so desperate to hire someone who has yet to prove a stability between normal functions, work and relationships with people in general.

What you have to ask is WHY are they hiring so young?

I can tell you, pay in the SE, other than Florida, is atrocious. I am making more now as a civilian than Capt's and Maj's in my old departments.

Like ANYTHING else, just like in hiring a non-cop, you want quality people, you want people that are educated and articulated, it is going to COST you.

You cannot pay people 19K a year and expect the cream of the crop.

I know its 21 minimum in both Albuquerque and Manchester, NH (both places I tried out for the force). I disagree that age is a sign of stability, however.

I disagree that age is a sign of stability, however.
Explain why a given period of "Work history" is often required over specific field experience. You won't get that experience without several years passing by.

Lisa, I've always said ya gotta be very dedicated or very nuts, or both, to put on a Kevlar vest before work each day. :)

Tom, Agreed... you get what you pay for.

Because the pay and quality of life issues don't leave them with enough good candidates. Besides, they need to get them young to brain wash them into believing that all non cops are "the enemy".

I was told by a former Federal marshal that the average retirement life-span of an LEO is roughly 6 months. A friend from Houston told him that all the LEOs he knew (there were a number in his neighborhood) were too racked up with physical maladies to walk a beat by the time they were in their 30s. Between that and the lousy pay I'm surprised they're as good as they are.

Because the pay and quality of life issues don't leave them with enough good candidates. Besides, they need to get them young to brain wash them into believing that all non cops are "the enemy".

Very true, well except for the last part.

The days of Andy and Barney are over. I was VERY professional, even received citizen commendations for it, but I was never really friendly and I approached each call, each stop, with the mindset that the *insert whomever here* could possibly kill me. Thus I must admit my stance was a bit more threatening than if it were the 1950's and I could cock my cap back and mosey up and say "No see hear ya'll.....".

Sorry Henning...while I do not approve of an overly aggressive tone in law enforcement I will also cut a lot of slack in todays society. It IS a different world, whether some want to admit it or not.

Very true, well except for the last part.

The days of Andy and Barney are over. I was VERY professional, even received citizen commendations for it, but I was never really friendly and I approached each call, each stop, with the mindset that the *insert whomever here* could possibly kill me. Thus I must admit my stance was a bit more threatening than if it were the 1950's and I could cock my cap back and mosey up and say "No see hear ya'll.....".

Sorry Henning...while I do not approve of an overly aggressive tone in law enforcement I will also cut a lot of slack in todays society. It IS a different world, whether some want to admit it or not.

Would you consider running across a street good reason to tackle someone and hold a gun to the back of their head? (Happened to me in San Diego 20 years ago.)

No sir I would not. However as with all things, including aviation, simply going based solely on a single action against yourself is a silly way to judge things.

Having been married to one...

I know cops who are really decent sorta folk - good family life, stable, smart. Wanted to make a difference and got into law enforcement. Kinda got the wind kicked out of their sails from the reality of their job (It's tough being professional and impartial when someone is spitting at you, calling you a stinking rotten worthless pig, etc.), but they still tried to hang tough.

I've also known cops who I wouldn't trust to let out of my sight, that were not welcome at our place, that there was no way in hell I'd believe them if they said the sky was blue.

They're people, no dif than you or I. They have a semi-steady job that pays the bills - sometimes - which anyone in their right mind would run from, from the stress to the paperwork. Are there power-trippers there? Sure. Are there azzoles there? Sure. Are there good people there? Sure. Look at your office, and you tell me EVERYONE there is a 100% stand up kinda gal or guy.

People are people. Jobs are jobs. I sure wouldn't want to do that (ir be married into that again), but I can see why someone would do it, even if they themselves hated the work... because sometimes, that's the only work they can get that pays the bills. And maybe there's something there they enjoy that makes it bearable.

You're surprised one went bonkers and homicidal? Like I said - he was a guy just like any other - just because he had a badge didn't make him superman. Heck, it probably made him nuts. Or worse.

JMO,
Sus

Back