Why is it impossible to find a split master switch...

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
for a 1970 Cherokee 140?

No website visited thus far has a picture. I don't want to buy used, and the people I've talk to on the phone don't have it in front of them to let you know that it is a rocker type, red, has a battery switch on one side and an alternator switch on the other and it isn't made for a Cessna.

:mad:

My '67 did not have a master at all. Was it added later?
Edit, sorry, did not have a split master

My '67 did not have a master at all. Was it added later?
Edit, sorry, did not have a split master

The panel changed considerably between yours and the OP's.

Tim, I'd probably call a salvage yard looking for one.

Finding parts can be a real PITA for any airplane and technically a shop should be paid for time spent looking for them.

Then that would be used. I could spend the money and possibly be exactly where I am right now.

Maybe I should pay myself for looking...with a nice glass of Blanton's.

Just get one from a salvage yard, some of those guys are a little more informed, also once you pay for a new switch it becomes used ha know ;)

I'd also be somewhat surprised if the Cessna switch is different from the piper switch.

8911K619 but I haven't found a picture of it to make sure. But that is the one listed in the parts manual.

Muncie Aviation in................ Muncie , IN. Those parts dudes know their sh*t.

also Cherokee Aircraft Salvage

Bought one last year for my 76 Warrior. Don't remember where. I can look it up tomorrow.

Thanks to you too Walt. We still have to meet someday. I'm down for an annual....hey, I'm running into some drama getting an IA here.....

;)

I was kidding...not about the drama but my A&P is really good about owner assisted anything on my plane. Once he noticed my mad skills he relaxed a bit about hovering. :)

Just wish I had parts locator mad skills. All I have is google fu and I'm a white belt in that.

image.png Does it look like this one? I see a lot of the Pipers have switches like this one where mounting is with two screws. Cessna ones aren't like this after all...

I searched for your part number 8911K619, and this one popped up.

V/r,

Dana

The switch I removed still worked, but I wanted it changed during an avionics upgrade as preventative maintenance and because it's a PITA to get to.
"Preventive maintenance" is a specific term with a specific meaning and replacing this switch is not preventive maintenance in the eyes of the FAA. I suppose you could say you had the switch replaced as a prophylactic measure.

Last edited:
To understand parts obsolescence, realize that electrical parts and electronics device manufacturing economics are driven by the consumer electronics industry. Regulated GA represents a minuscule (to invisible), fraction of a percent. The split master probably has no footprint whatsoever in the electronics market. We're probably supported by the foresight of a few lifetime buy production runs.

The switch may have features you haven't realized yet so be careful going commando. My switches are ganged so they operate together for the Gen On and Bat Off position. I suspect that may be to prevent a battery load dump spike, but honestly I'm only starting to understand what's going on there.

Working in the airline world, I was once told a lifetime buy of a fairly complex part (LCD glass for a specific indicator) was a 2 day manufacturing run. That was it! Many things are never going to be manufactured again, ever.

View attachment 44907 Does it look like this one? I see a lot of the Pipers have switches like this one where mounting is with two screws. Cessna ones aren't like this after all...

I searched for your part number 8911K619, and this one popped up.

V/r,

Dana

Thanks Dana and Randy and Walt. You see how you looked for one part number and another came up? That's what is causing some of the confusion because I don't want to pay $70 on a part that "might" fit which is why I'm going to call Walt's guy and make sure. But at least you found a picture which is more than my white belt google fu skills could do for me.

IMHO! Parts obsolescence is a major factor in the recent FAA AC speaking to "standard" parts... For these old birds, it sometimes helps to research and figure out what other vehicle the airplane parts were adapted from. My alternator was adapted from the Gen1 motorcraft auto (65 mustang). My starter was adapted from the delco-Remy units on 1940's IH tractors. The mags were originally a case 6cyl tractor magneto. The original Cessna pull-type switches are Cole Hersee units designed for the marine market. The list goes on...

I feel bad for the guys flying stuff that is purely aviation specific ;-)

IMHO! Parts obsolescence is a major factor in the recent FAA AC speaking to "standard" parts... For these old birds, it sometimes helps to research and figure out what other vehicle the airplane parts were adapted from. My alternator was adapted from the Gen1 motorcraft auto (65 mustang). My starter was adapted from the delco-Remy units on 1940's IH tractors. The mags were originally a case 6cyl tractor magneto. The original Cessna pull-type switches are Cole Hersee units designed for the marine market. The list goes on...

What? TRACTOR PARTS ON AN AIRPLANE??? Do you realize that could cause your airplane to crash and burn in a schoolyard full of innocent children and perhaps get a couple of bystander nuns in the process? Have you no SHAME, man?

{;-)

Jim

What? TRACTOR PARTS ON AN AIRPLANE??? Do you realize that could cause your airplane to crash and burn in a schoolyard full of innocent children and perhaps get a couple of bystander nuns in the process? Have you no SHAME, man?

{;-)

Jim

Lol, not tractor parts--heavens no! Industry standard replacement parts as per AC 23-29B Para 4b(8).

What really chaps the hide is when you buy an FAA/PMA replacement alternator belt from Piper that has a Piper part number and "FAA/PMA" written on by hand with a silver sharpie right next to the Gates standard part number...

Insanity fed by the ineptocracy...

V/r,

Dana

My trim handle came from a Studebaker pickup window, my door latch came from a VW Beetle, my flap handle grip from a Schwinn bicycle. I say "came from" when I need to say, "is the same as." It was a simpler aircraft production world back in 1970.

Lol, not tractor parts--heavens no! Industry standard replacement parts as per AC 23-29B Para 4b(8).

What really chaps the hide is when you buy an FAA/PMA replacement alternator belt from Piper that has a Piper part number and "FAA/PMA" written on by hand with a silver sharpie right next to the Gates standard part number...

Insanity fed by the ineptocracy...

V/r,

Dana

I bought "vacuum hose" from the airplane manufacturer and got Gates brand hose with an 8130-3 wrapped around it. It happened twice with two different sizes so its unlikely a mistake.

I bought "vacuum hose" from the airplane manufacturer and got Gates brand hose with an 8130-3 wrapped around it. It happened twice with two different sizes so its unlikely a mistake.
Same goes for my alternator belt which I change every year at annual. So I wrote down the Gates # and get one at the local auto parts store every year...

It's about 1/4 to 1/3 the price.

By far my favorite is this one: A mid-60's Cessna 172 (and presumably others) inside arm rest (for the front and back doors/sidewalls) is a $1,500 part from Cessna (I kind of doubt that it is actually a stocked part). It's an injection-molded and chrome plated mount, with an injection-molded elbow pad on top. Is a: (Drum roll here) off a 1960's Chevelle, $99 for a set of 4 brand new...

I've bought vacuum hose from both your local National Aviation Parts Authority, and Aeroquip 306 hose from Spruce. Both do a fine job. The Aeroquip seems more "durable" on first look, but I think it might actually begin to degrade/crack faster than the NAPA stuff... IDK, YMMV.

I just replaced every switch in my Lance from parts that came from Chaparral. Good prices, quick shipping. Got that same master switch from them.

My trim handle came from a Studebaker pickup window, my door latch came from a VW Beetle, my flap handle grip from a Schwinn bicycle. I say "came from" when I need to say, "is the same as." It was a simpler aircraft production world back in 1970.

HMMM. Do I smell a Piper Cherokee?

Back