Why I Love Flying

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
Today was a pretty busy day, and I have a lot going on in the next week that's going to mean a minimal amount of free time. I had the plane today for a lesson with my instructor, but he had to do something with his wife so no lesson for me. He told me to go up flying if I wanted to. I was debating whether or not I should, thinking about everything I have to do and the fact that the time would probably be more logically spent on some of the other things. Then I decided to anyway.

As soon as the wheels left the ground, the stress was immediately released from me, and I felt better. I went up and buzzed around. Did some ground reference maneuvers and steep turns, nothing particularly challenging, but just things that were a lot of fun. I'm up here and the world's down there, they can't reach me now. The time is mine.

I came back an hour later feeling much, much better. Now I'm ready to get back to tackling everything else I need to do.

I love flying.

FLYING just to fly is GREAT. Glad you had a good time Ted. And i know about the Tension Relief factor, I do it too. Go nowhere in perticular just GO.
Dave G

In a nutshell, this is it!

I hear you- the problems are just left down on the ground.

Amen to that. It's positively amazing how the cares of the world go away once the wheels leave the ground. Best therapy for modern living I can think of. Glad you got to go. I'm stuck in meetings in Greenville, SC and head home tomorrow afternoon in those pressurized aluminum mailing tubes.

Ted, what a great thread. I feel the same way even if I'm staying in the pattern doing some real work.

I honestly feel like my blood pressure goes down when I'm flying - at least until I have a 90 degree cross wind to handle. :)

I honestly feel like my blood pressure goes down when I'm flying - at least until I have a 90 degree cross wind to handle. :)

"Winds 180 @ 20G25" "What?! I'm on 27!"

Flying is definitely the best form of therapy I have come across. Whether it's confidence building by showing myself that I can do something, getting away from the world, enjoying a pretty view, whatever, it is a release like no other.

I figured we've all had these experiences, I just thought I'd share this one as it was particularly relaxing.

You hit the nail on the head Ted. My wife and co-workers still don't understand why when I'm stressed out, I head to the airport. Getting in the plane forces me to forget about all the things that are creating stress in my life and I get to refocus my mind.

My mentor has a saying he uses frequently, "Yeah, flying is expensive... but it's a lot cheaper and a lot more fun than giving that money to a therapist and the result is basically the same!"

My mentor has a saying he uses frequently, "Yeah, flying is expensive... but it's a lot cheaper and a lot more fun than giving that money to a therapist and the result is basically the same!"

Yep! Motorcycle riding can be, as well, but motorcycle riding is a lot less fun when it's cold out. Flying is still fun. And while I love driving the Jag, flying is still special therapy in a way unlike any other.

Yesterday while I was soloing I did a takeoff stall for the first time by myself. I've tended to be a little wary of them and not want to do them solo, but last week when my instructor and I went up I was doing them pretty well. Gave it a shot, executed it well (my heading got off, but the plane didn't fall out of the sky ;)) so I did another.

I landed feeling very good about having successfully done something that previously I was rather apprehensive about. Confidence booster, for sure. :)

Back