Why experimental!?

See? Now that is COOL - and inexpensive. Put something like that in a piper and it would cost ya $90K!

$90K Tom? You're pretty optimistic.:D

Garmin 900X -- $90k.. Some guy around here is putting the G900 in an RV-10. I don't think the synthetic vision is actually available on the G900 either. DOH!

This is one reason why I now own my last certified aircraft. The next one will be an experimental.
Have you priced autopilots for homebuilts?

This is one reason why I now own my last certified aircraft. The next one will be an experimental.

I made that move 3 years ago. After having owned
5 type certificated aircraft .. I built an experimental. It's very
nice being able to do all the work, inspections, try new stuff,
etc. Cheapest flying I've ever done.

I just wish I cared to build...because I do not.

I also just really, really have a hard time trusting a plane someone else built in a hangar/garage.

I also just really, really have a hard time trusting a plane someone else built in a hangar/garage.
If you have a pre-buy done by someone familiar with homebuilding and the specific type, you will find many, many examples in which the workmanship exceeds that done by the "factories."

I bought a homebuilt Pitts, and when I took it to a Pitts guru for the pre-buy, he said Aviat wishes they could build one as well. The thing is, many of the homebuilders treat the airplane construction process as a labor of love, and they do it and redo it until it's perfect -- which is certainly not the case on an assembly line.

You don't have to trust; you have to verify. That's much less of a leap of faith.

Yessir - verify, compare, examine - you can see what sort of workmanship went into it. Have it checked out. Look at planes with hundreds of hours on 'em - that'll tell you it isnt so weird as to scare off the guy that built or flew it, and that you aren't going to have those "first flight" problems that all the certificated plane guys like to tell ya about.

$90K wasn't bad for a W.A.G., was it?

And besides, I always figure that EVERYthing in a certificated plane will cost ya $90K to have done. :eek:

One of the guys building a -10 here in Boone is putting in dual Advanced System systems, a Garmin 530W AND SL-30, both of which will be able to drive his fully coupled TruTrak Sorcerer Auto Pilot. He's running 3 electrical busses (he also has e-ignition) with 2 batteries and 2 alternators, even though the Advanced Systems has built-in battery backup.

He'll have more functionality AND more redundancy for about 1/3 the price of the G900X.

Find one with 400 or 500 hrs on it. Well broke in.

There's no feeling like when you look at your plane and say I wish I had a two peice door like the Citabria, then you pick up your saw and make it.

Dan

Find one with 400 or 500 hrs on it. Well broke in.

There's no feeling like when you look at your plane and say I wish I had a two peice door like the Citabria, then you pick up your saw and make it.

Dan

LOL....NOT ME! I am handy and am willing to "fix" things, but I am NOT a builder and never will be I imagine.

I started to explain the why experimental build process that soon turned into a multi page essay or personel challenge and accomplishment. Rather than the verbose essay I will leave it in much simpler terms.

The build is a process in and of itself wit goals and mild stones of achievment that soon changes from the finished product to the prrocess in a labor of love.

So I'll tell you in the same wordes that were given to me,

"Its about the journey and not the desitnation"

Experimental is the only plpace you will ever experience the euphoria and frustration all at the same time and learn to love the process.

John

Building my Pietenpol one stick at a time and loving it

Thanks for the viewpoint John...and from what I can tell with most (though not all) builders I know, it is indeed the journey, the building, they love. More than a few love it so much that while they will fly what they build, they must either continue to tinker or start a new project.

For me FLYING is the passion, not the building, thus the reason that experimental holds not real appeal to me.

For me FLYING is the passion, not the building, thus the reason that experimental holds not real appeal to me.

Likewise! Flying makes getting there as much fun as being there.

Thanks for the viewpoint John...and from what I can tell with most (though not all) builders I know, it is indeed the journey, the building, they love. More than a few love it so much that while they will fly what they build, they must either continue to tinker or start a new project.

Likewise! Flying makes getting there as much fun as being there.

To each, his own.

i agree with the little iron pilot. building doesnt appeal to me, however. i have built things in the past like computers... NOT PLANES! and it's satisfying to see it working very well and you can say I BUILT THAT!!
but i dunno anything about building airplanes! i sure do love experimentals though! but i'll take a prebuilt.

Ah, but experimental gets a lot of folks up there flying, and keeps a lot of folks flying, that could never afford to do it if they had to own a certificated $$$$$ airplane! You don't have to build to fly experimental! :no:

I know a lot people like the building process as much as or more than flying, and they may have been the great majority in the past, but I think that is changing. With the cost of new airplanes so out of reach for most, older planes getting older with only very expensive options available for upgrading, and the vast improvements in the completeness and quality of kits, more and more "flyers" are building planes. I built my plane for one reason...to fly. I am proud of it and enjoyed building it more times than I cussed at the process, but I don't miss building, and will never build another. I built it so I could fly a new, well equiped plane that I can economically maintain and upgrade as I see fit.

Experimental offers so many and differing options it is amazing. I think that, what we fly has much to do with why we fly. I have never see it in the same light as comercial where it is a means to an end and basic 20th century transportation as common as a bus. I believe the vast majority of our passions have much to do with the freedom of choice, direction and destination that goes far beyond land bound possibilities. Over the course of my life time I have built many things fixed many and tinkered with all, from automobiles to tractors exclusive of locomotives and the like.

The Wright brothers amazed me their accomplishment and astonished me and the idea of flight a concept that has always fascinated me, which answers the why question, at least for me. From where I am today the idea of joining the era of the open cockpit Barnstormer is most nostalgic and romantic. Nothing like flying into the sunset leather helmet, scarf and goggles as a major attraction. So its the 1929 plans built design of Bernard Pietenpols Aircamper. Its not sleek, fast or as attractive as some, but for me its why I fly, I want it all!

I love being up there, low enough to see slow enough to wave and high enough to to be above the crowd , snarling traffic and noise. All of which goes to what I build and why.

Each of us invloved in experimental have our own reasons, none better or worse than others, just different, it is the expression of the human desire for freedom and adventure. There can be no other reason to fly, fly experimental or to build, in my own never to be humble opinion.

John

I'm jealous. Where can I find time to get back into building?!?!

Steve/John....some valid viewpoints and one that I can agree with to some degree.

I guess for ME to build I would have to already have at least one plane I could fly. I do not want to sit out of flying for 2-3-4 years to build.

Back