Why dont ppl carry helmets with them for emergency's?

I wear a helmet in a fixed wing for my job (gentex hgu-56). After a few hours it "broke in" and I find it quite comfortable. I also use the cep's and find them to be comfortable and far quieter than a premium anr headset. Of course my Bose A20 is more comfortable than my helmet, but modern helmets are light weight and with the zeta style memory foam liners, are comfortable (assuming fit right). Another less mentioned benefit is eye/face protection from the visor if a bird was to come through the windscreen. My only advice is to try different manufactures on for comfort before you drop some serious coin. I have tried the Gallet and Alpha and the Gentex fits my odd shaped pumpkin best.

Happy Flying!

"Space Balls!" SPH-5 is a little less cumbersome but both helmets are fairly comfortable for most non NVG flights.

The "to helmet or not" conversation is endless in the aerobatic community.

For a number of years I've worn the DC K-10 helmet and then one from Protec. Last year I started using the QT HALO headset and have not worn a helmet in the Pitts or Eagle. I've enjoyed not having *any* weight on my head during acro.

While I don't wear nomex, I do pay attention to what material my clothes are, I try to stay away from synthetics that will melt in a fire. I wear leather gloves as my hands sweat a lot and it helps with gripping when pulling hard.

It's all personal choice and risk assessment.

That sounds similar to resignation, which is one of the FAA-identified hazardous attitudes.
I'm picturing the FAA section dealing with Hazardous Attitudes, the Resignation B
ranch; a GS-15, two 14s, a dozen 13s, and two contractors doing the work. Right across the hall from AeoMed, Class III Physicals. . .they're all to be consolidated under the Department of Redundancy Department, where their combined contribution to aviation might equal one hour's worth of a rookie controllers time. . .

I always wear a Gallet helmet in a Cub. No helmet in the Cessna. My head can easily hit structure in a Cub. Not so in the Cessna. The bigger danger there comes from unrestrained items coming forward where the Cub had a partition to prevent that. Use appropriate attire for what you fly.

I'm picturing the FAA section dealing with Hazardous Attitudes, the Resignation B
ranch; a GS-15, two 14s, a dozen 13s, and two contractors doing the work. Right across the hall from AeoMed, Class III Physicals. . .they're all to be consolidated under the Department of Redundancy Department, where their combined contribution to aviation might equal one hour's worth of a rookie controllers time. . .

I don't agree with everything the FAA comes up with, but this is one that I think is actually useful. Resignation is not conducive to being a safe pilot.

Some of the aircraft I fly require the pilot to have on a helmet. It's an airworthiness limitation. If you don't have one on then the aircraft is unairworthy.

That sounds similar to resignation, which is one of the FAA-identified hazardous attitudes.

I guess it does sound a little bit like resignation.
from the faa handbook

“What’s the use?” do not see themselves as being able to make a great deal of difference in what happens to them.
When things go well, the pilot is apt to think that it is good luck. When things go badly, the pilot may feel that someone is out to get
me, or attribute it to bad luck. The pilot will leave the action to others, for better or worse. Sometimes, such pilots will even go along
with unreasonable requests just to be a "nice guy."

I don't fall under this even a little bit. If I don't think my flight plan is safe and there isn't an encouraging probability of survival during an inflight emergency I'm the first person to say no. I plan on getting there, but my preparation has left me with airports, freeways and flatlands in the event that I don't. I also have all passenger book commercial flights, Making the no go decision is easy. Once my planning is done and I leave home for the airplane, one week survival in the boonies is not on my mind at all. It is completing the task at hand.

To me, the guy that is bringing 15 + pounds of survival material falls under the above statement more than I do. They think someone is out to get them, something bad IS going to happen and all they can do is protect themselves. They have resigned.

They don't know what lies ahead, and feel they aren't capable of making the decision to go or not. So they over prepare for a survival situation and hope for the luck.

Last edited:
BS. Let me whack you in the head with bat, break both ankles, and kick you in the ribs and gut a few times, then leave you without communication in a place it may take a week to find you. How will you do in that realistic crash survival scenario? Want to make it harder? Add a bleeding injury.

BS. Let me whack you in the head with bat, break both ankles, and kick you in the ribs and gut a few times, then leave you without communication in a place it may take a week to find you. How will you do in that realistic crash survival scenario? Want to make it harder? Add a bleeding injury.

you are in Alaska. A flight there requires a whole different set of preparations than flying up and down the I-5. For you, a southwest ticket isn't an option, you are more likely to make that marginal flight, and a crash very well could put you somewhere where nobody will even hear it. Let alone know where to look.

You won't find me busting across the sierras in sandals shorts and a t-shirt but you will, almost exclusively, busting into to LA for a weekend at Disneyland and the beach.

Last edited:
I don't agree with everything the FAA comes up with, but this is one that I think is actually useful. Resignation is not conducive to being a safe pilot.

Really? I have flown in sandals, shorts, and a t-shirt, both as a passenger and as a pilot.

Really? I have flown in sandals, shorts, and a t-shirt, both as a passenger and as a pilot.
lol That's my usual flying attire, in South Texas.

Which isn't to say I'm not acutely aware of the risks. One of my best friends was similarly attired when he crashed, and he has had to endure years of skin grafts after surviving the crash with burns over 60% of his body.

Had he been wearing a Nomex flight suit and a helmet, he would have walked away with some bruises.

You can always be safer, but how many people wear Nomex and helmets when driving?

You can always be safer, but how many people wear Nomex and helmets when driving?
:yeahthat: More likely to need it while driving, I have been in two auto accidents. Personally I don't wear sandals while driving and probably won't while flying. They slip or get hung up too much.

:yeahthat: More likely to need it while driving, I have been in two auto accidents. Personally I don't wear sandals while driving and probably won't while flying. They slip or get hung up too much.

The sandals I have worn are more like hiking sandals than flip-flops.

I mostly wear short pants, T-shirt and Redwing boots - 'cause there's snakes down there, and I might have to walk out of a cow pasture someday

More to the point, I don't care. Or, don't care enough. . . Shorts, sneaks, polo shirt are fine. I get it - my risk of injury or death is somewhat greater. I'm good with that.

Yes, good advice, but I don't think the FAA came up with it; pretty sure it's been recognized for a long time. . .I just don't think we need FAA to tell us "giving up" is a bad idea.

Bob Hoover's advice was to fly the airplane all the way through the crash; and we didn't have to pay him anything for that observation. Maybe that's why they tried to sand-bag him?

Back