WHY does the FAA Care????

I guess somebody called the FSDO and bitched about it...

But when it's the Masters you click your heels come to attention and shout "Jawohl!" at the top of your lungs :D

Do you need an authorization to tow banners ? Unless you need an altitude waiver, I didn't think you need authorization to tow stuff around.

when Augusta National complains the FAA listens.

Do you need an authorization to tow banners ? Unless you need an altitude waiver, I didn't think you need authorization to tow stuff around.

Sec. 91.311

Towing: Other than under Sec. 91.309.

No pilot of a civil aircraft may tow anything with that aircraft (other than under Sec. 91.309) except in accordance with the terms of a certificate of waiver issued by the Administrator.

Dan: They just complained. DO SOMETHING--WE DON'T LIKE THIS. WHY DOESN'T THE GOV'MENT DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS?

The FAA response looked reasonable. They will check and see if the plane was authorized to tow banners; they don't regulate what's on a banner. Of course, there will be a ramp check; log book check and if they can find any problem, the pilot will have issues.

The company doing this knew they were on touchy ground with what the banners said. Hope they have everything in order.

Best,

Dave

Dan: They just complained. DO SOMETHING--WE DON'T LIKE THIS. WHY DOESN'T THE GOV'MENT DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS?

The FAA response looked reasonable. They will check and see if the plane was authorized to tow banners; they don't regulate what's on a banner. Of course, there will be a ramp check; log book check and if they can find any problem, the pilot will have issues.

The company doing this knew they were on touchy ground with what the banners said. Hope they have everything in order.

Best,

Dave

Correct.

:skeptical:

So that's why the FAA is "investigating" -- some golf pilgrim looked up and could see there was no towing authorization letter in that airplane.

It was a complaint, and the FAA will have to follow through even if it's just an operations check of the company, plane, pilot and procedures. If the FAA Inspectors find nothing amiss then it's business as usual.

Best,

Dave

It just seems rather draconian to leap to investigate when it involves the Masters and woods, when banners are towed all over with all sorts of nonsense everywhere else.

It just seems rather draconian to leap to investigate when it involves the Masters and woods, when banners are towed all over with all sorts of nonsense everywhere else.

It has nothing to do with the event. A complaint was called into the FSDO. The FAA investigates every complaint. If someone calls a complaint into a FSDO about a banner tow over a beach they will get investigated also.

Think of it this way, if the FAA picked and choose which complaints to investigate while ignoring others there would be public outrage.

Equal investigation for all. :D

They investigate, just like when the Pt. 135 operator at an airport phones in an anonymous tip that the flight school might be operating a Pt. 134 1/2.

Informing on your fellow man is an old and honourable tradition.

The FAA investigates every complaint. If someone calls a complaint into a FSDO about a banner tow over a beach they will get investigated also.

Think of it this way, if the FAA picked and choose which complaints to investigate while ignoring others there would be public outrage.

Equal investigation for all. :D

Maybe where you come from. The FAA does not investigate every complaint. Not even when it comes from an airport manager who is a pilot and knows something about what he is talking about.

Maybe where you come from. The FAA does not investigate every complaint.

And you know for a fact that the FAA doesn't investigate complaints?

Define "investigate". Some complaints require an inspector going out in the field while others may be handled via a phone call. Depends upon the circumstance.

As R&W said every complaint is investigated, to what degree they are investigated involves a lot of discretion. The FAA could have started and ended their investigation with one phone call.

It was a complaint, and the FAA will have to follow through even if it's just an operations check of the company, plane, pilot and procedures. If the FAA Inspectors find nothing amiss then it's business as usual.

Exactly, well put. The FAA is a machine. When you turn it on, it runs according to it's program. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm wondering what the guy was trying to prove? Was he trying to be cute? Was he really that mad at Tiger for cheating on his wife? What the heck. NO doubt he was trying to get someone's attention. Well guess what, he succeeded in that. I think that the FAA should go over there and screw with the guy unmercifully. I mean, he is stupid. It is better for the FAA to dick around with him, than to ramp check some poor smuck out doing nothing more than practicing takeoffs and landings.

I'm wondering what the guy was trying to prove? Was he trying to be cute? Was he really that mad at Tiger for cheating on his wife? What the heck. NO doubt he was trying to get someone's attention. Well guess what, he succeeded in that. I think that the FAA should go over there and screw with the guy unmercifully. I mean, he is stupid. It is better for the FAA to dick around with him, than to ramp check some poor smuck out doing nothing more than practicing takeoffs and landings.

I suspect the banner tow guy was hired to do a job and his only agenda was to make a buck. Is there any contrary information?

I suspect the banner tow guy was hired to do a job and his only agenda was to make a buck. Is there any contrary information?

Take it a step further. Here is an operator (banner tow) who has his authorization issued in another district. He comes down into another district (which is perfectly legal) and does a tow operation. During that operation someone calls in a complaint. The local FSDO sees that this is not one of their operators, so now instead of just a phone call they want to have a face to face with this operator to see what's going on.

They did, a discrepancy was found with the airplane. The operator agrees to fix the discrepancy.

This would be no different if the guy was a crop duster, tour operator, etc.

I think his actions should be covered under the first amendment and any feds that hassle him should be fired and stripped of their pensions.

I have a photo of a banner that my dad pulled over a Florida boat show: "Want Trouble? Buy my TollyCraft H. Lenoard 563-XXX-XXXX"

I guess some guy had bought some kind of new TollyCraft boat and had all kinds of problems - TollyCraft wasn't satisfying him, so he flew that over the show in spite.

Also, at one point, my grandpa challenged the local sheriff to a boxing match. He ran advertisements on the radio and I believe they pulled some banners. The sheriff declined.

Back