Why does Conduit Search Protect/MixiDJ Toolbar keeps coming back in Malwarebytes scan

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
Hello all.

Last July, my Windows 7 laptop got infected with a Homeland Security malware that asks $300 through a Moneypack card or something.

I downloaded Malwarebytes and got rid of the original malware. However, at the time, I wasn't sure the malware was completely gone so in the instructions on how to get rid of the Homeland Security malware online, I tried to download Hitman Pro from CNET I think and it I didn't think it installed correctly since I must have got the wrong version. But then, my Internet Explorer and Google Chrome Internet browsers was changed to the a weird website called Conduit, an unknown search website, and I noticed that Conduit Search Protect A and MixiDJ Toolbar comes up in the Malwarebytes scan.

Luckily, I was able to change the Internet Explorer and Google Chrome settings back to their original home page and gotten rid of the MixiDJ Toolbar.

However, every couple of weeks to a few months, Conduit Search Protect and MixiDJ Toolbar always keeps coming back in the Malwarebytes scan, even after I deleted them. I don't know why this keeps happening, or if I should be concerned with it, since I didn't notice any changes to my Internet browsers since I resetted my browser settings.

Anyone heard about Conduit and does anyone have trouble getting rid of those 2 Potentially Unwanted Programs (Conduit Search Protect and MixiDJ Toolbar) for good?

Last edited:
Re: Why does Conduit Search Protect/MixiDJ Toolbar keeps coming back in Malwarebytes

There are a number of websites that give you step-by-step directions. I'm on the tablet right now so it's not easy to list them, but if you search for Conduit Search, you'll find them. Instrctions for both IE and Firefox.

Re: Why does Conduit Search Protect/MixiDJ Toolbar keeps coming back in Malwarebytes

KT and Murphey: I tried the cCleaner method without results of permanent removal.
On another front: Has anyone had experience with Advanced Tech Support, out of Boca Raton, FL? Searching for information re KT's question I saw a post that referenced calling 1-800-978-4501 to get rid of the Conduit Search. So I called the #, Advanced Tech Support. The guy told me he'd solved 10 Conduit Search problems on that day. He gave a good presentation, articulate, which resulted in my signing up for a year's package, total cost $349.99, that would remotely service/clean/maintain my system. It was 'In-Process" when we here in many parts of Maine were in an ice storm; and my power went out with major parts of the state.
During the outage my iPad worked, of course; so I did some searches on Advanced Tech Support. The consumer reviews were not good, in most cases. Hmmmm! Based upon those reflections, alone, I called and cancelled the program; was initially told that, "Well, you normally will only read the bad stuff people claim; all those who approve our success never write about their experiences." He transferred me to accounting and a full credit was issued and a follow-up email came to that effect.
I had called them to advise of having lost electricity and it was so noted. An hour later I received a telephone call from an associate who said she was working on my installation but had experienced a disconnection. When I told her that, because of the many negative comments I had read about their organization, I had cancelled my purchase; to which she repeated the earlier "satisfied users never write of their approvals."
Anyway: When the power came back on in four hours, so did the PC. Guess what!
The Conduit Search is gone, so whatever had been changed up to the cancellation is apparently in effect.
And the question: Does anyone have any information about the operation?
If it is legitimate, with its every two or three months cleaning/servicing program, I'd reconsider; but in the meantime, buyers might beware.

HR

Last edited:

Personally, I wouldn't spend that kind of money when most of the tools and how-to's are online and solve the problem. I also refuse to let anyone else near my hard drive. I also refuse to allow any remote access to any of my systems.

On the other hand, you can probably get the same service in your local area if there's a reputable shop.

For future reference on Conduit:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-conduit-search-virus/
http://malwaretips.com/blogs/conduit-search-removal/

Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/968030

Last edited:

That's why, Murphey, I quickly cancelled the "Service." I could see, while "they" had Remote Control, what tools they were using and, you're right -- most are available to all of us.

HR

Back