Why does a prison look like an airport?

Wierd!!

Sometimes an airport is a prison. Like in Honolulu. the domestic inter-island terminal is just across the taxiway from the prison.

Geez - its lucky for the troopers that the guards didn't shoot.

Sugar Land Airport, where I fly out of, is 4nm east of a prison... we use it as a reporting point when flying in from the west:

Tower: "Cessna two-niner-echo, make a right base for runway one-seven, report the prison."
Me: "Right base for one-seven, will report the prison, two-niner-echo."

Canon City's largest employer is the Colorado DOC. There are over a dozen state and federal facilities within a small area. You've got to be an idiot to plan a jump anywhere around there and think you're not going to be near one.

Sgt Schultz must be in charge. :rofl:

Kinda gives POW a whole new meaning doesn't it? Saves the enemy all the hassle and risk of capture and transport to the detention facility...

Last edited:
Sugar Land Airport, where I fly out of, is 4nm east of a prison... we use it as a reporting point when flying in from the west:
The prison north of the field in Oshkosh also is used as a reporting point during the air show for aircraft coming in from aerial demonstrations, so they don't have to fly the conga line again.

What makes us think that this was a mistake. Maybe the SFs were trying to determine how to land at a fortified and guarded facility undetected for an op. Obviously their plan failed. Better the learn what does not work in Colorodo and not Iran

That could have gotten real ugly real fast.:eek:

If you look at KJWN on Google Earth you will notice two prison camps adjacent to the airport property on the west side.

Last edited:
The guards held their fire? Lessee, a dozen guards with rifles vs. 40+ fully armed paratroopers... Coulda been ugly. (Is there an echo in here?)

I just saw a story that the guy who escaped from prison when a buddy hijacked a helicopter and flew him out, just did it again.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22077281-23109,00.html

Last edited:
It could have been ugly. From what I understand, those guards in the towers often carry the AR-15.

Per the article:
The parachute troops were armed only with rubber training bullets.

It could have been ugly. From what I understand, those guards in the towers often carry the AR-15.

Per the article:

Yeah...the rubber bullets would have put these soldiers at a defanate disadvantage.

Otherwise...25+ special ops troops against a dozen CO's? No contest...and unfortunately the CO's would have lost.

Per the article:

In NY all the towers have AR-15's, Rem 870 shotguns and SW model 10 .38's. Don't worry though, we're only trained to shoot people gettin' out. No one ever put out a memo about about people bustin' in, so in true gov't fashion, we're just gonna note it in the logbook, call a supervisor, and get back to our coffee.

Mike

In NY all the towers have AR-15's, Rem 870 shotguns and SW model 10 .38's. Don't worry though, we're only trained to shoot people gettin' out. No one ever put out a memo about about people bustin' in, so in true gov't fashion, we're just gonna note it in the logbook, call a supervisor, and get back to our coffee.

Mike
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Anyone see Die Hard 2? The soldiers carried two different types of ammo with them; Blanks and live rounds. And I wouldn't believe anything SpecOps told me.
They landed right where they wanted to. These guys aren't "F Troupe".

I think its Dalhart, TX (KDHT) that actually has a prison ON the airport. That was a good idea.

Back