"why do you wish to deviate?"

I've been denied flight following twice. One was a weekend inbound slam several thousand feet below the usual eastern IFR transition into San Francisco; you could hear the nonstop traffic on the radio; it was very obvious what was happening. And FF wasn't actually denied. I got told to "stand by" until I left the sector, and then I got handed off.

The other was less than 30 minutes after the Asiana crash (unknown to me at the time). Entirely understandable in retrospect; there must have been hundreds of diversions in the air.

If management in at least some facilities is requiring controllers to ask, that leaves the question of whether there is any statute or regulation that requires pilots to answer. One thing we do know is that there is a statute that prohibits lying.

Unless of course you're a cop. ;) They are allowed to lie.

We were routinely denied flight following around Chicago back in the 90s. Ironically, this was the area where we needed it most.

We were routinely denied flight following around Chicago back in the 90s. Ironically, this was the area where we needed it most.

Must be you, Jay :). Every time I've asked, I've gotten it. Now IFR around Chicago is a different bag.

Typically the only time I'm denied FF is when I'm outside of radar coverage (obviously). ROA for example can't see me in the sector I blast through regularly unless I'm above 3000.

Yes, If you are not IFR.

I was actually IFR (in clouds) one time landing at Huntington WV and center said "Grumman XXX radar services terminated squak VFR and contact Huntington approach xxx.xx, good day" Then i could not get him back due to radio congestion.

No biggie, we are all human:lol:, i jut contacted Huntington and they chuckled and had me stay on the same squak. :dunno:

Must be you, Jay :). Every time I've asked, I've gotten it. Now IFR around Chicago is a different bag.

Typically the only time I'm denied FF is when I'm outside of radar coverage (obviously). ROA for example can't see me in the sector I blast through regularly unless I'm above 3000.
I would say it's safe to say that I've flown in Chicago airspace a few more times than y'all, since we were based in it. :)

I didn't say we never got FF, but we were routinely denied it during peak busy times. I remember once the guy said "Unable. Stay clear of Class B, C, and D airspace.". We were, like, " WTH?". lol

Back