Why do the Chinese throw coins into jet engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no evidence, it's theory. Physicists believe that Dark Matter is what makes the universe expand. They can't observe it, they can't test it, they can't hold it, they just have to believe that it exists because if it doesn't exist, a lot of other science has to be thrown out. It's a consequence of a lot of other things.

Dark Matter is a question of faith for physicists. If you don't believe, then you're bucking the system because without dark matter, a lot of the science of the last 50 years starts to fall apart.

To me, that's no different than believing in God, except I think a belief in God has more positive outcomes.

You've confused "dark matter" and "dark energy". Dark matter is used to explain why galaxies rotate, rather then fly apart given their mass and angular rotation. Dark energy is involved in the universe expanding.

As you indicate, dark matter and dark energy are just constructs to make the models match reality. It's not a question of faith. Any scientist would love to know what it really is. Anyone who comes up with a good theory to either explain dark matter or energy, or can show why they aren't needed, are a shoo-in for a Nobel prize and aren't bucking the system. Such a theory would be examined carefully and very skeptically, due to the implications on many other parts of science.

In some ways, science is in a similar position as a little over a century ago. There were observations that couldn't be explained by classical mechanics, but needed "new" ideas such as quantum mechanics (explained some features of the photoelectric effect and black body radiation) or relativity (orbit of Mercury, the Lorentz-FitzGerald contraction). Dark energy and matter are the same sort of thing- placeholders until we get a better idea.

It's not like believing in God since we know dark matter/energy is nothing more than a construct that we use until we know more about how God made the universe (or we know more about how the Universe came into being if one chooses not to involve a deity).

It isn't any particular belief. It's a need to believe something.

I tend to prefer people who believe in God, mainly because their behavior is better on average . When you think you'll be roasted in fire for all eternity (or some similar torture) because God watches all, you do tend to self regulate the negative behaviors.
*cough*
Catholic Priests
*cough*

Sounds like you don't understand the word "Average".

I fully understand the word average. I also fully understand the word hypocrite. Because on average the people that I encounter who are self proclaimed believers are more likely to be "do as I say not as I do" types. Some of the worst people I have ever encountered in my life have been "believers." Much more so than the atheists/agnostics I encounter, and those despicable believers bring the AVERAGE way down.

You also have to question how good of a person they are at the core if their primary motivation is not just to be a decent person, but because there is something in it for them. I am not a believer (not a denier either) but none of the reasons I (or other non believers I know) do the charitable things we do is because there is anything in it for us. Not even the tax deduction. I did more charity flights last year than I ever have in a year, and I couldn't even deduct them on my taxes.

I fully understand the word average. I also fully understand the word hypocrite. Because on average the people that I encounter who are self proclaimed believers are more likely to be "do as I say not as I do" types. Some of the worst people I have ever encountered in my life have been "believers." Much more so than the atheists/agnostics I encounter, and those despicable believers bring the AVERAGE way down.

You also have to question how good of a person they are at the core if their primary motivation is not just to be a decent person, but because there is something in it for them. I am not a believer (not a denier either) but none of the reasons I (or other non believers I know) do the charitable things we do is because there is anything in it for us. Not even the tax deduction. I did more charity flights last year than I ever have in a year, and I couldn't even deduct them on my taxes.

You seem like an awfully angry non-believer who’s overly impressed with himrself. This is nothing more than a childish rant, it makes you look silly.

Non-believers are bad and you’re good. You’re so good, you did charity flights and didn’t get tax deductions. Is that really the point you just had to get across?

Last edited:
You seem like an awfully angry non-believer who’s overly impressed with himrself. This is nothing more than a childish rant, it makes you look silly.

Non-believers are bad and you’re good. You’re so good, you did charity flights and didn’t get tax deductions. Is that really the point you just had to get across?

No anger. Just pointing out the flaws in his statement that believing in a higher power automatically makes you a better person. I supposed I could have mentioned my friend that donates almost 100% of her spare time during tax season every year providing free tax services to those who can't afford it. And she's decidedly atheist, which I am not.

I bet if you ask a bunch of MS13 gang members if they believe, and almost if not all will say yes. I bet if you asked Mohommed Atta if he believed, and he will say yes. I bet if you ask a bunch of KKK members if they believe, and I bet some will even point to scripture showing why they do it in the name of religion. The list goes on and on with people that commit horrific acts in the name of their beliefs. On average a higher % than people that commit acts in the name of their non beliefs. But yeah Westboro Baptist is just chock full of good people on average.

And the only reason I brought up the tax deduction is because his counter argument was most likely going to be "something is in it for you, reduced flying costs." So that was headed off at the pass.

Last edited:
No anger. Just pointing out the flaws in his statement that believing in a higher power automatically makes you a better person. I supposed I could have mentioned my friend that donates almost 100% of her spare time during tax season every year providing free tax services to those who can't afford it. And she's decidedly atheist, which I am not.

I bet if you ask a bunch of MS13 gang members if they believe, and almost if not all will say yes. I bet if you asked Mohommed Atta if he believed, and he will say yes. I bet if you ask a bunch of KKK members if they believe, and I bet some will even point to scripture showing why they do it in the name of religion. The list goes on and on with people that commit horrific acts in the name of their beliefs. On average a higher % than people that commit acts in the name of their non beliefs. But yeah Westboro Baptist is just chock full of good people on average.

And the only reason I brought up the tax deduction is because his counter argument was most likely going to be "something is in it for you, reduced flying costs." So that was headed off at the pass.
You’re post did have an angry and judgmental tone to it. Probably wasn’t your intent. I don’t think I’m reading that into it because I don’t generally care to much what other people think about religion. Any way. Let’s see how long this goes before getting locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back