Why did that airplane keep circling?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
True story that happened on the farm a few nights ago:

So, it was 10:00 at night and we were in our pajamas and the driveway alarm went off. My kitties were outside, so I went outside with the spotlight (the big light on our pole was burned out, so it was dark out there) to check on them and found that the neighbor’s dog was scaring them. I ran around trying to shoo the dog and tried to herd the cats and was out there for several minutes with the spotlight running around. Finally one cat went up a tree and the other cat ran inside.

Still using the spotlight, we loaded up the dog in the old pick up to take him back to the neighbor’s (two miles down the dirt road). As we were loading the dog, an airplane flew over our farm really, really low! We couldn’t believe it! We just hoped it wasn’t some nut-job trying to land on one of our grass runways at night!

Anyway, we drove off down the dirt road and the airplane climbed a bit and kept circling over the area. I wondered if he was screwing up an approach to the local airport and was getting off course. We kept driving and he kept circling. :confused: We left the dog off at the neighbor’s and drove the other way home on dirt roads. And that airplane kept circling and circling. :confused:We couldn’t figure out what they were doing! Man, we hoped they weren’t planning to land on our airfield! They just kept circling. It seemed so odd. :confused:

About a half-mile from the farm (as the airplane kept circling), the red lights came on behind us! :eek: It was a conservation agent who stopped us! :eek: He thought we were spotlighting and the airplane was actually following us! :hairraise: And we had the spotlight in the truck (but no guns). They thought we were bad guys (in pajamas :redface:).

I'm sure there's a moral to this story. :dunno: We can laugh about it now.

Heh - Yeah, I can hear your story now - "Honest, officer! We were taking the neighbor's dog back! Really!"

Didn't you know it's illegal to use lights at night on your own property? You can see those from the air, ya know. :dunno:

A few months ago on her farm in Tennessee, my mother in law and sister in law were in one of the pastures pulling up this particularly nasty patch of weeds they didn't want to spread. After a little while a helicopter came down to check on them, hovering at low altitude while apparently taking pictures. A call down to the county sheriff's office later, they found out the chopper copper thought they might be harvesting marijuana and came in for a closer look.

The eyes are *everywhere*!

I ran around trying to shoo the dog and tried to herd the cats and was out there for several minutes with the spotlight running around. Finally one cat went up a tree and the other cat ran inside.
:rofl: :rofl:You tried to herd cats.

Da-yamm! Ya mean I'm in contact with a potential felon?

The following was my post today in Maine's largest newspaper. It was in follow-up to two guys having died in a disagreement. One shot the other with an AK-47; then, after a police chase he put the assault rifle in his mouth and - - - - - -.
"Lawreston Crute of Topsham, ME
Oct 30, 2007 11:01 AM
Another poster questioned whether a felon could become a lawyer in Maine. I remember a polite young man who regularly came into my store in Brunswick. He always paid cash, had a beautiful wife(they only spoke French when in the store). Nice guy!

Imagine my shock when I looked down at a Boston Herald one morning. The near full-page photo was of a young man arrested for, among other deeds, the biggest drug bust in the State of Maine. And the deeds list was long and multi-national -- the subject a kingpin in the world of drugs.

"Hey; that's my customer!" Now, I don't know if he ever became a lawyer, but he did complete law school and during his Junior year was appointed to a $27,000 per annum position as a Maine Law clerk.

On second thought, there is a litigation lawyer with the Simpson Firm in NYC. The name, Harvey Prager, may only be coincidental; however, the name is tied to obscure marine ports(coves, in darkness) in Bristol and Spruce Head, Maine, as well as British Virgin Islands and other "Trade" locations."
The "Harvey" case was quite unique. It seems he was into planes, big boats, helicopters,
other tools of the trade; and one would never have suspected. Just Google the name,
Harvey Prager, and there'll be plenty of hits. He got off doing any jail time -- numerous cronies got plenty of years -- by opening his upscale home as a hospice center for dying AIDS patients; and went to law school while doing his "debt to society."

HR

Diana,

You sure it wasn't Chip coming to show the new plane? :D

I've known a few people that have stips at their houses in Colorado. They all say that that airplanes drag the strips, at all hours of the day and night. One guy got curious and started doing some research, come to find out it's state and federal law enforcement keeping an eye on the landing strips for any nefarious activity (that part of the world is prime area for marajuana plantations on the national forest).

<---- Dons his Tinfoil Hat

Could be that "someone" was checking out the farm strip about the time you came out waving the spot light. So they kept a close eye on you till the local poice showed up.

<---- takes off his Tinfoil Hat

My Grandfather was the gamewarden (conservation officer) back home for years. He used to go up at night and go look for people spotlighting out in the bean fields.

...My Grandfather was the gamewarden (conservation officer) back home for years. He used to go up at night and go look for people spotlighting out in the bean fields.
OK. Tell the city kid what spotlighting is. You can't carry lights?

Mike, you really need to get out of the asphalt jungle :D

Spotlighting is going into the woods at night looking for deer with a flashlight. With the beam in their eyes they will stand stationary. Kinda like fishing in a barrel. And yes, it is very illegal for good reason.

Spotlighting is going into the woods at night looking for deer with a flashlight. With the beam in their eyes they will stand stationary. Kinda like fishing in a barrel. And yes, it is very illegal for good reason.

A really big flashlight, like a vehicle mounted spot light (like the police cars have), or one of those really bright hand held spots... or just simply shinning the headlights into a field...

aka Poaching...

They thought we were bad guys (in pajamas :redface:).

Ok so I'll ask the question......in pajamas..?

Any pictures....?

It's pretty common in rural areas - the good ol' boyz like to get likkered-up on Budweiser because it's red white and blue, buy a million candlepower spotlight that plugs in their cigarette lighters, and go around shooting out the windows of their big pickup trucks that never see the mud that are bought entirely on credit. Seems real fair to me - pull up to someone else's property, shine a bright light at the deer, shoot it from 50 yards away with a high-powered rifle complete with scope, cut the antlers off, and leave the carcass in a ditch that blocks a drainage pipe and floods the field. Those guys are real American woodsmen, allright. I'll tell you what.

We teamed up with the DNR one year and put a remote-controlled deer in one of our fields. The head would turn and the tail would twitch - you couldn't tell it wasn't real from farther than about 20 yards.

Arrested 20 people in one night. The DNR had to get a new deer because it was shot to pieces.

I've never caught anyone doing it. There aren't many things I can stand less than a damned poacher.

Especially one that needs a scope on a high-powered rifle. If you can't hit a deer at 200 yards with open sights on the rifles they make today, you shouldn't own a gun. Factor in the booze and the spotlight, and I'll shoot the SOB myself.

NO! :D

But the pajamas had pictures of little kitties all over them. :p

Enough about Tom's pajamas already!!!

Flying around low at night in my black airplane. I don't think so. I believe there is at least one cell tower in the vacinity of the farm.

It's pretty common in rural areas - the good ol' boyz like to get likkered-up on Budweiser because it's red white and blue, buy a million candlepower spotlight that plugs in their cigarette lighters, and go around shooting out the windows of their big pickup trucks that never see the mud that are bought entirely on credit. Seems real fair to me - pull up to someone else's property, shine a bright light at the deer, shoot it from 50 yards away with a high-powered rifle complete with scope, cut the antlers off, and leave the carcass in a ditch that blocks a drainage pipe and floods the field. Those guys are real American woodsmen, allright. I'll tell you what.

We teamed up with the DNR one year and put a remote-controlled deer in one of our fields. The head would turn and the tail would twitch - you couldn't tell it wasn't real from farther than about 20 yards.

Arrested 20 people in one night. The DNR had to get a new deer because it was shot to pieces.

I've never caught anyone doing it. There aren't many things I can stand less than a damned poacher.
That sounds like the same kind of huntin' that Cheney and buddies are doin', except they don't trespass.

I'm glad I (hopefully) don't have enough land for this...errrr....there's a big open lot on the other side of my back fence right on the road and any shot could easily go toward one of my windows.

i had a cfi who made a couple extra bucks doing this for the Iowa DNR a few winters back.

I confess. It was me. I was practicing for another "3 10's landing" at Gaston's next year.

Especially one that needs a scope on a high-powered rifle. If you can't hit a deer at 200 yards with open sights on the rifles they make today, you shouldn't own a gun. Factor in the booze and the spotlight, and I'll shoot the SOB myself.

I agree. No excuse for poaching. Glad the sting was successful.

That's a great story. What you needed was an R/C deer that shoots back!!

Glad u did better then me. I don't know what kinda "evasive" moves I'd try if an unidentified plane followed me. Heck, I never stop at my house if any car is within 700ft.

Glad u did better then me. I don't know what kinda "evasive" moves I'd try if an unidentified plane followed me. Heck, I never stop at my house if any car is within 700ft.

Ah--you're just as paranoid as me. I notice when someone is making the same turns as me and will simply drive right by my apartment and keep on turning until they're gone.

and if you find any deer that have flashlights, watch out! That's pretty technologically advanced for a deer! Who knows WHAT they're capable of! :eek:

That's a great story. What you needed was an R/C deer that shoots back!!
The wildlife folks have almost done that - they have a robotic deer that they put out in fields to attract the spotlighters! But the deer don't shoot. :no:

The wildlife folks have almost done that - they have a robotic deer that they put out in fields to attract the spotlighters! But the deer don't shoot. :no:

I'd rig one up with a photocell alarm circuit, a sound source and a amplifier/speaker so you when lit it up it yelled, "OWNED!!!" :rofl:

Originally Posted by gibbons
Enough about Tom's pajamas already!!!

But is Tom laughing :dunno:
Yeah, we like that story....now. :D

Actually we were out looking for the kitties with the spot light again the other night and we looked for more airplanes. :D

Back