Why did iPad GPS quit working with IOS update?

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
Last night I finally got around to updating my iPad 2 to the latest IOS and then installed the new FF update as well. I also downloaded the latest DB updates for FF. All this was done via WiFi as I have no data subscription for the iPad.

Today during a long flight I found that the internal GPS wouldn't provide a fix. I tried power cycling the iPad but that didn't help. I even left it sitting on the glareshield (covered by a sheet of white paper) for more than a half hour thinking that maybe it needed to get a complete new ephemeris but it still wouldn't work.

After the flight I tried getting a fix from the GPS on the ground (failed) and then logged into my WiFi router and presto chango, the GPS started working. Apparently there's something that it needs from the internet after an OS update and it won't retrieve it until after a power cycle.

Anyone know what really caused this problem?

A question or two ...

1) Was FF working "as designed" and showing your location on the moving map when airborne prior to updating the iOS and FF ?

2) Even though you do not have a data subscription, I presume your iPad2 has the internal GPS (ie is AT&T / Verizon capable).

3) Any chance that immediately after the update "Location Services" were turned off?

This one is easy - The Apple spec flux capacitors had to self-regenerate. :D
Glad I could help!

I could see it using location data from WiFi to expedite establishing a fix, but I'd think it could still accomplish that on its own with a little time. Strange.

A question or two ...

1) Was FF working "as designed" and showing your location on the moving map when airborne prior to updating the iOS and FF ?
Yes. Many times with no problems.

2) Even though you do not have a data subscription, I presume your iPad2 has the internal GPS (ie is AT&T / Verizon capable).
Yes. I bought the (ATT) 3G version so it would have an internal GPS.

3) Any chance that immediately after the update "Location Services" were turned off?
Nope. That's the first thing I checked in the airplane when I couldn't get a fix. And I didn't change any settings to get it to work, I just connected to WiFi on the ground and the internal GPS started working.

There are at least two puzzles here. One is why did it quit in the first place. The other is why did it return to normal behavior after the flight when I connected to WiFi.

I used FF and WiFi (together) after all the updates (before the flight) so it's not just internet access that restored the GPS function. My suspicion is that it required a reboot followed by internet access to start working again.

Back