Why are so many new listings already sold?

wheaties

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
wheaties
I honestly don't get it. I have wanted to buy for a while but my wife never wanted to commit until COVID. This new trend of already sold listings baffles me.

Why do brokers list a plane that's already under contract? Hell, why do I see "SOLD" in a brand new description listed that day? What's the point?

The point is to get you to call and inquire if they have anything similar coming down the funnel so you can be first in line for the next great bargain.

Brokers are selling their services, not their clients airplanes.

Same reason real estate agents put a "Sold" sticker on the sign and leave it up for people to see. It's a competitive world and everybody is marketing themselves at the same time they are marketing customer's homes or airplanes.

...Brokers are selling their services, not their clients airplanes.

They have to do both.
A broker that doesn't sell any of their client's airplane is going to have trouble putting Corn Flakes on the family breakfast table...

Because they know how much you hatred that.?? :lol::lol:

Heh, I don't attribute to malice that which can be explained by other means. I guess if inventory is flying off the shelf this fast brokers feel the need to use sold listings as advertising. Never thought of it that way but makes sense.

Last edited:
It creates a feeling of 'scarceness' to push buyers to jump on the next plane they have for sale because you might miss 'the one'.

Also encourages buyers to not negotiate or haggle as much over condition because the 'market is hot' and try to convince you there is a 'line of buyers' ready to snatch up the airplane you are looking at.

Summed up in one word: Marketing

Like it or not, the market is just that hot. I have 2 friends who sold their planes for record prices in less than a week. Both had no pre-buy, all cash. Fortunately for the buyers these planes were terrific and very well maintained.

From what I've seen its two factors. Good airplanes often are sold in less than 24 hours. I've had former students that struggled finding decent planes to buy.

The other older listings you see are still there because there is something glaringly wrong with them. Price is too high, some history or maintenance red flag, something that no one will buy.

My current plane never made it to market. I bought it before the ad was run. My Tiger ad was uploaded to Barnstormers at midnight and "the buyer" called me at 6 am and had a contract-deposit sent before 7am.

Same reason real estate agents put a "Sold" sticker on the sign and leave it up for people to see. It's a competitive world and everybody is marketing themselves at the same time they are marketing customer's homes or airplanes.

They have to do both.
A broker that doesn't sell any of their client's airplane is going to have trouble putting Corn Flakes on the family breakfast table...
It's a little different for real estate. I bought the house I'm in after it had been "sold".

Back