Why Amend a Route with a Victor Airway vs Direct?

RhinoDrvr

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RhinoDrvr
Hey guys,

Flew my first IFR trip in a civilian, steam gauge airplane today, and it was a blast. Good to knock the rust off the instrument skills. I had a question though.

My filed route included LHS SLI KSNA. 20nm prior to LHS VOR ATC amended my route to LHS V459 SLI KSNA.

For the life of me; the two clearance look the same. Can anyone shed some light on the reasoning for this, or what pilot action is required? I simply changed my NAV source from my GNS430 to VOR and flew the outbound track of the LHS VOR then swapped inbound to SLI, which actually seemed LESS accurate than the GPS direct between the two navaids. I would think in busy LA Airspace, the more accurate nav mode would be preferred.

Thanks!

how did your last VOR check go? ;)

It is 100% permissible to fly airways using an IFR approved GPS.

Hey guys,

Flew my first IFR trip in a civilian, steam gauge airplane today, and it was a blast. Good to knock the rust off the instrument skills. I had a question though.

My filed route included LHS SLI KSNA. 20nm prior to LHS VOR ATC amended my route to LHS V459 SLI KSNA.

For the life of me; the two clearance look the same. Can anyone shed some light on the reasoning for this, or what pilot action is required? I simply changed my NAV source from my GNS430 to VOR and flew the outbound track of the LHS VOR then swapped inbound to SLI, which actually seemed LESS accurate than the GPS direct between the two navaids. I would think in busy LA Airspace, the more accurate nav mode would be preferred.

Thanks!
My recollection is that SoCal procedure for transiting above the LAX Class Bravo is V459, 10,000, northwest bound, and 9,000, southeast bound, with a non-RNAV airplane.

.... Can anyone shed some light on the reasoning for this, or what pilot action is required? ...
Sure. The controlling facility can. Call them and ask.

Hey guys,

Thanks!

The flight progress strip, or digital equivalent, that the controllers uses to issue and amend clearances says V459. That route has been given as V459 millions of times and as direct probably rarely. There are lots of routes like that around there. Look in the Southwest Chart Supplement around page 495 and look at all the TEC routes. If there is an airway between two elements of the route then the airway is used even if it is a straight line. You can expect to hear things like “depart [fix] heading.........

Whatsa Rhino?

Last edited:
What’s the story behind that? Rhinos ain’t exactly sleek and fast.

"Rhino" is technically just a nickname for the Super Hornets (F18E/F). Not all F18's.

I'm going take a SWAG and say it got its name because of this (IFF antenna I think):
upload_2018-4-15_8-19-34.png

vs. the lighter Hornets that don't have that:
upload_2018-4-15_8-20-30.png

I think it’s more of a throwback to the F-4. While sleek and fast, it’s big nose and durability led to the “rhino” nickname. Of course the F-14 didn’t look like a “turkey” in flight but on the cat it did.

Be nice to the ole girl! But yes, it is the slowest fighter in the world... :)

Haha, we call it the Rhino because “Hornet Ball” and “Super Hornet Ball” can sound similar behind the ship on scratchy radios, and if the two jets get confused the arresting gear could be set for a landing weight that is 10,000lbs off.

Rhino is a throwback to F-4’s and because of the Pizza Box antenna on the nose.

Thanks for the replies. I was just curious what the reasoning was, but if it’s SOP for the SoCal area I’ll start filing like that

Be nice to the ole girl! But yes, it is the slowest fighter in the world... :)

Haha, we call it the Rhino because “Hornet Ball” and “Super Hornet Ball” can sound similar behind the ship on scratchy radios, and if the two jets get confused the arresting gear could be set for a landing weight that is 10,000lbs off.

Rhino is a throwback to F-4’s and because of the Pizza Box antenna on the nose.

Thanks for the replies. I was just curious what the reasoning was, but if it’s SOP for the SoCal area I’ll start filing like that

Thought you were east coast. You at Lemoore now?

This seems like a belt and suspenders approach that SoCal uses for the Victor airways. I'm likely doing the TRACON tour next month, so I'll ask about it. Given how busy they are, it seems like a better idea to just give the /U instructions to /G airplanes, knowing that your GPS will help.

Neither are F/A-18s :p

Did you file /G?

I find that doesn't mean a thing to SoCal. They always tell you to "join Vwhatever."

Direct between VORs is a different course than on the airway.

Not on that route. It is a straight shot. That tends to be the case with the vast majority of the Victor airways used in Southern California for TEC and other routes.

Back