Why A Go Around Would Have Been A Better Choice.

I think when you watch the runway halfway point go under and you haven't touched the ground yet that just might be a clue that it's not going well.

:yikes:Oh that just ruined someones vacation! And getting a plane fixed on St.
Barths ain't gonna be cheap it ain't even gonna be reasonable.

That runway looks short with a steep approach. Also sounds very windy in the video.

St. Barths, you're not supposed to go there w/o a checkout by an authorized instructor.

All that speed. Waste of a perfectly good Aztruck. He had twenty-plus knots too much.

My rule is simple and works fine in the airplanes I fly. Simply look at the runway before you land, divide the runway into thirds, and if you don't touch down in the first 1/3 go around.

This scales down to even relatively small runways. If the runway is 1500 feet it means I must touch down in the first 500 feet which leaves me a thousand or more to stop.

If a touchdown 1/3 of the way down the runway does not permit enough room to stop--the runway is too short--and I don't land on it. If a go-around is not possible 1/3 of the way into the runway then the runway is either too short or the terrain too dangerous and I don't land on it.

The 1/3 rule is simple, and very effective. More pilots need to decide on their "go-around" point while they are looking at the runway in the pattern. If they did, we'd have far less GA runway over-runs.

Last edited:
That's the deal- an Aztec should have no trouble with this.

He came in too high, no? I thought a properly executed approach had you between the cars on that last ridge (at ref minus 5!).

He came in too high, no? I thought a properly executed approach had you between the cars on that last ridge (at ref minus 5!).

Over the hill high enough that you don't hit the statue, and then ride the hill and put it and the numbers.

This is why our Caravan and Pilatus crews at work receive plenty of training prior to operating in/out of SBH with pax on board during the winter season when we are down there.

It was not so much his height over the threshold but the excess speed that doomed him. Notice he floated all the way down the runway. This is one runway where your short field landing technique must be very sharp. Good suggestions Jesse.

Imagine watching that. That would suck.

Then imagine doing that.....that would make me turn my certificate. Bad approaches happen. Landing in the last 1/6 of a runway should never happen, thats why we have go arounds.

He was definitely too hot... I don't think it's necessary to mow the grass coming down that hill, you just have to keep the speed in check. That, and definitely go around if you don't have all three on the runway by that middle taxiway!! :yikes:

Here's a pretty good clip of somebody doing it right... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtJy8A6hNKE

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back