why $300k....

bluerooster

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
shorty
when for about half that or even less you can get similar.

182T roughly $300k 182A (similarly equipped)roughly $100k Hmmm.
let's look at the difference.
182T is heavier, carries more fuel, but less payload, is 4 knots faster.
182A is lighter, carries less fuel, but with a higher payload, and 4 kts difference is only a few minutes.
VNE is same, VSO is lower in the 182T (but most of the 182As have been modified so it's a moot point)
Service ceiling for 182T is about 1200 feet lower than 182A,
The A has better takeoff/climb performance.
All based upon advertised.

So what do we get for our $300k, a pretty new late model 182 with an IO 550.
What do we get for our $100k, a pretty new early model 182 with O-470.
The $100k figure for the A takes into account modern avionics.
The 182T would be around $250k with steam gauges, while the A with steam gauges and 430W would be around $60k.

Now, to pack 700 pounds of people and stuff into a 182, and fill the tanks I'd take the A, to do that (700 pounds) in the T ya gotta leave about 200 pounds of fuel behind. But you are still carrying more fuel than the A. Either way, after 3 hours I'm ready for a break. And even at 141kts, 3 hours has put some miles behind you.
The A stands proud, and anyone shorter than 6' will have to go out of their way to join the "diamond club", the T is squatty, and only diminutive pilots will unconciously avoid the dreaded diamond.
So, why do I want to spend several hundred thousand for a 182, when I can get and earlier model 182 for under a hundred thousand?

Or you can save more money and buy a Piper Dakota. :yes:

$100k for a 182A??? Why on earth would anyone pay $100k for an airplane that is currently worth $30-50k.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the early 50's 182s, but they aren't worth $100k.

Last edited:
$100k for a 182A??? Why on earth would anyone pay $100k for an airplane that is currently worth $30-50k.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the early 50's 182s, but they aren't worth $100k.

You must have missed his point that he's assuming someone went full glass in the 182A to prove that $200,000 is not the cost of a G1000.

Well, the A is a narrow body, so you get a few more inches of room, but for $300k I'd take the Katmai with a glass deck.

You must have missed his point that he's assuming someone went full glass in the 182A to prove that $200,000 is not the cost of a G1000.

I see his point. I'm just saying that from practical purposes, even if you did put all those avionics in an A model, you would be hard pressed finding someone to pay $100k.

I see his point. I'm just saying that from practical purposes, even if you did put all those avionics in an A model, you would be hard pressed finding someone to pay $100k.

True but I'm assuming an immaculate aircraft. Otherwise you'd be able to argue the $200,000 extra gets you brand new paint, interior, etc. I'd expect to pay $100,000 for a fully refurbished, new paint, low time, fresh annual, new prop, new overhauled engine, equivalent to a G1000 equipped, Cessna 182.

True but I'm assuming an immaculate aircraft. Otherwise you'd be able to argue the $200,000 extra gets you brand new paint, interior, etc. I'd expect to pay $100,000 for a fully refurbished, new paint, low time, fresh annual, new prop, new overhauled engine, equivalent to a G1000 equipped, Cessna 182.

You may expect to, but would you when you can buy one without the goodies for $30k?

I think a better comparison would be a P or Q model, with a glass cockpit, real good paint and interior, low time engine/prop. And you won't but one of those for any where near $100K.;) Lots a variation in airplanes for sale, finding one that has it all like a newer model one is going to be expensive! ;)
This one has $159K asking price with NO autopilot!
http://www.trade-a-plane.com/listing?id=1730559

I think a better comparison would be a P or Q model, with a glass cockpit, real good paint and interior, low time engine/prop. And you won't but one of those for any where near $100K.;) Lots a variation in airplanes for sale, finding one that has it all like a newer model one is going to be expensive! ;)

Yep, makes sense. However, I believe this was the point of the OP's question. Why pay $300,000 when you can pay $159,000? Budget a little more for repairs and such since it isn't new but you're still much lower than $300,000. Insurance will be cheaper as well I imagine.

Some people don't like old airplanes and can afford to get what they like. I have couple of friends like that.

You are about $100,000 high on your non glass 182T pricing. In fact you can pick up a higher time 2004 G1000 equipped 182T in the $200K range with a little negotiation.

Now you have to compare how much nicer the air vents are in the 182T then they are in that old pos. :)

For me, newer airplanes look better. Controls feel more solid and safe when flying compared to an older aircraft and that is worth it to me.

In reality, you could get better equipped avionics from garmin right now than the 2006 and older G1000 systems offer and save some money.

Don't know why it is not reflected in the equipment list, but there is a Cessna autopilot there...

...but it is still improved way beyond its inherent value, I think, and not worth anything near the presumptive ask.

My buddy called on it and they told him no autopilot, I'm assuming it doesn't work, but they didn't take it out during the avionics upgrade. ;)

Don't know why it is not reflected in the equipment list, but there is a Cessna autopilot there...

...but it is still improved way beyond its inherent value, I think, and not worth anything near the presumptive ask.

T

My buddy called on it and they told him no autopilot, I'm assuming it doesn't work, but they didn't take it out during the avionics upgrade. ;)

T

If he has a 421, he ought to buy my 310 for her to learn in so by the time she has her IR done she'll be all lined out to be insurance in the 421.;)

If he has a 421, he ought to buy my 310 for her to learn in so by the time she has her IR done she'll be all lined out to be insurance in the 421.;)

He won't even buy a 182, I doubt he'll go for a 310. :rolleyes:

What is the diamond club?

Lol, look at the back of a Cessna flap and you will see a line of diamonds. The Diamond Club are those who have walked into the back of the flap and engraved their foreheads with those diamonds.:D:yes:

Not even close really. Have you priced real honest to God avionics installs by getting quotes that consider labor and supplies? You can easily spend $80K just for Nav/Com/AP/Engine/GPS without even touching PFD's.

Not even close really. Have you priced real honest to God avionics installs by getting quotes that consider labor and supplies? You can easily spend $80K just for Nav/Com/AP/Engine/GPS without even touching PFD's.

Nope, $80k will get that and a G-500 installed.

I just recently got a $82K quote for the following for a Lance:

GMA340
GTN650
GNC255A
GI106
GTX327
STEC30 w GPSS
GTS800
CGR30P Engine Analyzer

Now arguably the GTS800 is not necessary for a comparison, but it does not cost the the same as an MFD update like a G500.

The idea that you can take a legacy airframe such as that 182 and upgrade it to equivalent avionics capability as 182T with G1000 and be in it for $100K just doesn't add up. I have a few quotes that seem to back this up.

Its my opinion (worth what you paid for it) that the price of avionics are the largest single cause of pricing depression in the used market.

Back