Who's got the Moon Pies for Gastons?

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
I'll be bringing down 2 cases of RC Cola.

N2212R said:

How does a moon pie differ from a shoo fly pie? (serious question, familiar with the later)

Ed Guthrie said:
How does a moon pie differ from a shoo fly pie? (serious question, familiar with the later)

Way different.

AFAIK, you can't make Moon Pies at home. The shoo fly pie I was sent was an actual pie. Moon Pie comes wrapped in celophane. Chocolate covered carbohydrate layers with white filling between. About 4 inches across.

Carol said:
Way different.

Moon Pie ...Chocolate covered carbohydrate layers with white filling between. About 4 inches across.

Sounds as if the important difference is that I might actually eat a moon pie.

N2212R said:

I have *three* 50 count cases, all original size. Chocolate, banana, and vanilla, arriving tomorrow!

Ken Ibold said:
I took a bite of a moon pie once.

just once.

Just so that folks who may have tasted neither, or perhaps only tasted one, will understand this thread and the subsequent twists and turns this thread is certain to take, I think I'll bring a couple shoo fly pies to Gaston's.

Bill Jennings said:
I have *three* 50 count cases, all original size. Chocolate, banana, and vanilla, arriving tomorrow!

I've got 48 cans of RC Cola, and another 24 cans of Rock N Rye. I'm willing to wager most of you have never heard of it or had it. It's a michigan thing.

Bill Jennings said:
Wow, I can't wait! We all just had a conversation about moonpies, and I said I should've brought along Ring Dings. No one here had ever heard of Ring Dings! I didn't realize they were a regional thing.

Ed Guthrie said:
Just so that folks who may have tasted neither, or perhaps only tasted one, will understand this thread and the subsequent twists and turns this thread is certain to take, I think I'll bring a couple shoo fly pies to Gaston's.
What exactly is IN a shoo fly pie?

Speaking of all these flying pies, what do you say we make this National Pie in the Sky Week?

Toby said:
Speaking of all these flying pies, what do you say we make this National Pie in the Sky Week?

I'm all for it :yes:

Toby said:

What's that Beatles' song lyric? "....horrible little pie..." Molasses near as I can tell/want to know. I have plans to grab one today at Lancaster's finest source. Provided I don't forget to retrieve it from the hanger fridge at o-dark-thirty tomorrow morning you can try it for yourself.

Toby said:

Shoes and flies of course! Toby, you really need to get away from that big city more (like your doing now!) and experience the vast rural expanses of our country and their customs. :)

Shoo-fly pie is basically an Amish/S. Central PA thing. Its just a pie made from molasses. My in-lwas are from Lancaster, PA and still live there. Whenever we visit, we get Shoo-fly pie. Its great. There's two kinds, wet bottom and dry bottom.

My mother-in-law makes Moon Pies too. A chocolate variety and a spice cake. Excellent!

Last edited:
Anthony said:
There's two kinds, wet bottom and dry bottom.

Anthony, as the resident expert, which should I bring these folks--wet bottom or dry bottom?

Ed Guthrie said:
Anthony, as the resident expert, which should I bring these folks--wet bottom or dry bottom?

Tough call, but I'd go with the gooey one, but then again, they are amateurs. :)

If you have some room, Chicken Corn soup or Chicken Pot Pie would be good too. I'm getting hungry!

Toby said:

Shoo Fly Pie is a traditional Pennsylvania Dutch dessert. Brown sugar, molasses, shortening, salt, and spices were all non-perishable ingredients that could survive the long ocean's crossing to America made by German immigrants. The pie's unusual name is said to be due to the fact that pies were traditionally set to cool on windowsills, and due to the sweet ingredients, the cook would constantly have to shoo the flies away.

1 unbaked 9" pie crust

Crumb Topping:
1 C flour
1/2 C light brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/3 C butter

Liquid Bottom
1 C boiling water
1/2 C light molasses
1/2 C dark corn syrup
1 tsp. baking soda
1 egg, beaten

whipped cream for topping

Tom said we can bring some cow pies from the farm. And then have a cow chip throwing contest out on the runway. The winner's names will be posted here later. ;)

Diana said:
Tom said we can bring some cow pies from the farm. And then have a cow chip throwing contest out on the runway. The winner's names will be posted here later. ;)

"You will remember to wash your hands before you eat anything?"
- Ian Malcolm
(Jeff Goldblum's character in Jurassica Park)

Anthony said:
Shoes and flies of course! Toby, you really need to get away from that big city more (like your doing now!) and experience the vast rural expanses of our country and their customs. :)

Shoo-fly pie is basically an Amish/S. Central PA thing. Its just a pie made from molasses. My in-lwas are from Lancaster, PA and still live there. Whenever we visit, we get Shoo-fly pie. Its great. There's two kinds, wet bottom and dry bottom.

My mother-in-law makes Moon Pies too. A chocolate variety and a spice cake. Excellent!
Shoes and flies. I like that! :)

It is so cool being out here in Missouri. It's my first time visiting this part of the country. I have to stop taking pictures so I have some room left on my flash card for Gaston's.

This is going to be a fattening five days. Tom has been making the most delicious breakfasts and feeding us and feeding us.

There are cardinals and goldfinches, coyotes here and -- on the not-so-cute side, flying cockroaches.

gibbons said:

Shoo Fly Pie is a traditional Pennsylvania Dutch dessert. Brown sugar, molasses, shortening, salt, and spices were all non-perishable ingredients that could survive the long ocean's crossing to America made by German immigrants. The pie's unusual name is said to be due to the fact that pies were traditionally set to cool on windowsills, and due to the sweet ingredients, the cook would constantly have to shoo the flies away.

1 unbaked 9" pie crust

Crumb Topping:
1 C flour
1/2 C light brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/3 C butter

Liquid Bottom
1 C boiling water
1/2 C light molasses
1/2 C dark corn syrup
1 tsp. baking soda
1 egg, beaten

whipped cream for topping
I expect you to bake one and bring it, Chip!

Ah yes good old RC Cola and Moonpies. Now that brings back memories.

Diana said:

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Towns & Tales[/font] [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]World Cow Chip Throwing Contest[/font] Beaver, OK

With a name like “World Cow Chip Throwing Contest”, do you think the rest of the world want to participate? If so, they’d come to Beaver: Cow Chip Throwing Capital of the World. You know what a cow chip/cow patty/cow pie is right? ****.

Since 1970, the World Championship Cow Chip Throwing Contest is held the second week in April in Beaver, OK. The defending champion is Beaver resident and 4-time world champion James Pratt. Leland Searcy’s 1979 world record toss was measured at 182'3".

There’s also a grand barbecue after the contest. Wash your hands. Make sure you serve yourself.

Ed Guthrie said:
There’s also a grand barbecue after the contest. Wash your hands. Make sure you serve yourself.

Loser has to clean Gaston's runway when we're done....

Diana said:

Ewwwwww....

Who's airplane you going to put those in to get them there?

Just make sure they're the dry type.

Oh, no! Hey Ed, you forgot to give me a piece of that shoo fly pie!!

Back