Who's going to Cuba

dell30rb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ren
Now that the US has opened an Embassy etc... in Cuba, my friends are all asking when am I flying there?

I'm not going to be first. Who here has been or is planning to go? Would love to know if it's worth the trip, private aviation friendly etc...

There was a seminar at Oshkosh about tours to Cuba for a fee. They take care of paperwork, immigrations, customs, etc. One problem though (this was being worked on 3 months ago) the landing fee was $500 USD, but he said the Cuban government is woking on a change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_oJlUGGJms

Last edited:
There's a service that makes arrangements, for a fee:

http://www.caribbeanflyingadventure...een=CTGY&Store_Code=CFA&Category_Code=FlyCuba

I read an account on COPA's forum of their recent group trip to Jardines del Rey, Cuba. About three weeks ago. Mostly it went well. Runways were good. They have $4 100LL. There were long delays getting in and out because they aren't accustomed to GA. I'm not sure, but I suppose they were using a "people-to-people" permit to satisfy the U.S. authorities.

Anyway, you are welcome to fly your plane there now, with the right paperwork etc.

Last edited:
Looks like a doable flight,would like to go before the tourists from the states ruins it.

Heck yeah!

Between the food, music and everything, I'd for sure check it out.

Just a long as it wasn't super expensive or involved too much BS to fly in.

Lol...what bullwinkle says.

Trust me, I was born and raised there...left in my 20s, now I'm in my 40s....nothing can ruin that country anymore than communism has, except maybe for radical islam

A member of the AOPA forum was one of the first to fly there in Cirrus aircraft. You can read about his experience here

9.5 times out of 10 Governments ruin countries not citizens.

Well, there are some citizens of several countries, blowing buildings, people and themselves , but there are differences in governments sure, which was my original point, however subtle.

Cheers

Last edited:
Yeah, because Americans are what is going to ruin a communist dictatorship.

:rofl:

Communist countries have a heritage and a legacy, as a student of history, they are fun to see before they get "ruined". Hell, even parts of China are still interesting to see how the government runs the country/towns.

I spent part of a month in Eastern Europe, and, I can tell you the countries that tourists haven't discovered were more interesting than the ones overran by tourist groups.

And, if you have ever been on a small island when 3 cruise ships dock, you will likely know what tourists do.

As with others, I want to go sooner than later.

Yeah sure JoseCuervo, just like it's interesting to watch the little ants roaming around in that 3rd grade DIY ant farm science project.....unless you're the ant.

I never understood the fascination with Cuba. It seems like the most depressing place on earth. A guy I know went there recently and this is what he said:

It's not cheap. All those old cars you see......most are junkers! No internet, no TV, no ATM's, no fruits or vegetables, stand in line for bread and eggs, some areas get water every other day, crumbling and falling down buildings....I could go on and on. We saw cops with dogs searching and harassing people everywhere. It is a police state.

We were booked for a week and left after two nights. No way I could enjoy myself observing the miserable lives the Cubans are forced to live. They refuse to comment on the government or the lousy lives they have been forced into...... for fear of being reported and arrested. Not my kind of place. Very, very sad.

....nothing can ruin that country anymore than communism has, except maybe for radical islam

Well, except for radical christians...which is almost all of them...especially the evangelicals.

Wait? This isn't the spin zone? Oh, that's right I don't even participate there. What was I thinking?

Sorry

:goofy:

"We were booked for a week and left after two nights. No way I could enjoy myself observing the miserable lives the Cubans are forced to live. They refuse to comment on the government or the lousy lives they have been forced into...... for fear of being reported and arrested. Not my kind of place. Very, very sad."

This !

Cheers

Back