Who's between Atlanta & OSH?

skyflyer8

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skyflyr
I'm ferrying a Sky Arrow 600 Sport (LSA) from the Atlanta area (KRYY) to Oshkosh next week solo. This will probably be a two-day trip in the later half of the week, somewhere between the 20th and 23rd. It won't be my longest-ever trip but will be the furthest I've flown by myself.

Looking for POA-ers along my route whom I can call in case of weather/mechanical/hunger/lodging issues. Please PM me or post here.

I haven't yet planned where to stop. If it goes anything like my Ercoupe ferry trip last year, I'll end up stopping somewhere unexpected anyway. That's why I would like to know who's nearby.

Direct route shown here so you can figure out if you're along the way. Thanks!

Attachments

• route.jpg
    route.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 58
If things go horribly awry, you've got a place in Lake Havasu City.

I'm ferrying a Sky Arrow 600 Sport (LSA) from the Atlanta area (KRYY) to Oshkosh next week solo.
Kate, can you land it on grass strips?

Linda Guthrie from the forum here lives near one of the grass strips in Indiana that I stopped at. I stayed in a cute little cottage at Lee Bottom Field, 64I that looks like it's on your route. Gil stayed there coming and going to Gaston's. It's a special place. Ginger is a CFI and she and her husband run the airport.

Another neat place is 8I3, at Glenndale, IN. I stopped at Glenndale and visited with Laura, a CFI, who is active on the red board...very cool lady.

Kate:

I live in NW Ohio, around 40 miles SSW of Toledo and base planes at 2 small but nice airports ; KOWX & 5G7. Please PM me for a phone number for your use.

Scott

While diverting to Lake Havasu City I'll be happy to top you aff at M11...;)

We'd love to offer our place, but Leslie and I just landed in Daytona Beach, and won't be back for a week.

Well, threading the T-Storms in KY, TN, and GA wasn't THAT much fun! :) Check out flightaware for N7111W to see our weird routes yesterday.
Looks like you were headed to see Bill Johnson and decided to go elsewhere. :)

If you need to stop in St. Louis let me know. I am at 3SQ on the north west side and can send you my cell number.

I live 15 minutes from RYY so if you have the hunger thingy going on before you leave I'll take you to The Varsity for lunch. At least you won't have to worry about a gas shortage during the flight.:D

I sure hope so. I haven't thought to ask, so I'll find out tomorrow. Thanks for telling me about Lee Bottom Field. It looks neat and you can't beat that $35/night price. I might go there!

Last edited:
I sure hope so. I haven't thought to ask, so I'll find out tomorrow. Thanks for telling me about Lee Bottom Field. It looks neat and you can't beat that $35/night price. I might go there!
Here is the page about the cabin on their web site:

http://www.leebottom.com/cabin_rental.htm

They don't have fuel or food. I ate MRE's for dinner and for breakfast. :) I heated the water for the MRE in the little coffee pot in the room. Its very quaint and pretty there. Even if you don't stay, it would be fun to drop in and see it.

I'm ferrying a Sky Arrow 600 Sport (LSA) from the Atlanta area (KRYY) to Oshkosh next week solo.

Your flight path takes you right over me at CHA, if you want some contact #'s, PM me.

Way too far to the East, but I'm hunkered down in DAY (actually, we are 3mi from KMGY). Drop me a PM if you are planning to come this far east...

Cheers,

-Andrew

Linda Guthrie from the forum here lives near one of the grass strips in Indiana that I stopped at. I stayed in a cute little cottage at Lee Bottom Field, 64I that looks like it's on your route. Gil stayed there coming and going to Gaston's. It's a special place. Ginger is a CFI and she and her husband run the airport.

Another neat place is 8I3, at Glenndale, IN. I stopped at Glenndale and visited with Laura, a CFI, who is active on the red board...very cool lady.

Kate
If you can`t land on grass, I`am closer to Madison(IMS) or my home field, North Vernon( OVO). These are just east of your direct route.
I work evenings, my cell # 8127560281
Hope to see you

Linda

Here is the page about the cabin on their web site:

http://www.leebottom.com/cabin_rental.htm

They don't have fuel or food. I ate MRE's for dinner and for breakfast. :) I heated the water for the MRE in the little coffee pot in the room. Its very quaint and pretty there. Even if you don't stay, it would be fun to drop in and see it.

That looks pretty neat. Found out I'm allowed to land on grass. (Yay!) I'd probably be needing fuel and food though. Not sure of plans yet either. (Route's still up in the air, excuse the pun hehe...)

Kate
If you can`t land on grass, I`am closer to Madison(IMS) or my home field, North Vernon( OVO). These are just east of your direct route.
I work evenings, my cell # 8127560281
Hope to see you

Linda

Linda I'm going to put your number in my phone and perhaps stop by. Thanks! Not sure what day yet.

I am in Madrid to tomorrow afternoon. That is if my luck changes I will be home tomorrow afternoon. But if you need to divert Chicago way I am near 3CK and we have a place for you if you need it.

Well it looks like I should be starting off on my big adventure bright and early tomorrow (Thursday) morning. Weather looks good here north for a while. Closer to the Great Lakes there will be a cold front turning stationary as time goes on. Might get stuck somewhere. As long as it's cooler than here that's OK.

Kate

How was your trip? Never heard from you, so I guess you didn`t get to stop close to me.

Linda

How was your trip? Never heard from you, so I guess you didn`t get to stop close to me.

I'm not Kate, but since she's now busy as all heck trying to get two pilots trained in the space of about 3 weeks in addition to her usual load of students, it might be a while before she replies...

Unfortunately, she got quite sick just before coming back, so it wasn't nearly as fun as it should have been for her. I think she overnighted at BMG and got the rest of the way to OSH the next day. We flew formation for the last leg (RYV->OSH) so I could get some pics of the Sky Arrow airborne.

P6220016.jpg

I'm not Kate, but since she's now busy as all heck trying to get two pilots trained in the space of about 3 weeks in addition to her usual load of students, it might be a while before she replies...

Thanks for letting us know and that great photo.

Hi everyone,

I am indeed alive... barely... I am busier than I ever have been before. I miss the board. I don't have much spare time. This past week I had a few days that went from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.

It finally set in exactly what I've gotten myself into... trying to train two students for their sport pilot certificates in the span of a few weeks while still working with my regular students outside of Able Flight. This is really tough. Luckily I can stay here at the house in Oshkosh where the plane is based (living out of suitcases!) so I don't have to drive an hour each way every day.

My ferry flight was about 10.5 hours total. A really neat experience! I did it over two days. Thanks everyone for being my safety net! It was nice to know there were POA-ers around. Sorry I didn't have time for any visits. I was trying to beat a weather system, which I did successfully. Good thing I went when I did or I would have gotten stuck for days.

The route:
Day 1:
Start: RYY (Cobb County McCollum Field, Kennesaw, GA)
SRB (Upper Cumberland Regional, Sparta, TN) - fuel
BMG (Monroe County, Bloomington, IN) - fuel, food, break
CFJ (Crawfordsville, IN) - check weather
50I (Kentland, IN) - to take a picture :D
IKK (Kankakee, IL) - fuel, overnight

Day 2:
Start: IKK
around the west side of Chicago class B, then...
C59 (Lake Lawn Resort, WI) - to see what the big deal is about this place
57C (East Troy, WI) - fuel, break
RYV (Watertown, WI) - food
OSH (Oshkosh, WI) - final destination!

I hope to write up a story about this trip as soon as I have time... which might be a while from now! Wish me luck on this venture and visit http://www.ableflight.org to learn more about what I'm up to. My students are Rob and Sean.

A few pictures! I didn't take many during the trip (June 21-22) because of lots of glare in the cockpit when the sun was high, plus not being able to let go of the stick for long if was at all bumpy. I did claim a couple of airports along my way and submitted those pictures to www.goflyamerica.org!

- Me sitting in N448SA which I flew in Georgia but didn't ferry. I ferried N423SA. (Trained in two similar planes)

- Sun & clouds on the first day, in Indiana.

- Two sunset pictures Kent took on my second day, on the last leg of the trip to Oshkosh.

Attachments

• P6190008.jpg
    P6190008.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 4
  • P6210021.jpg
    P6210021.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 3
  • P6220005.jpg
    P6220005.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 3
  • P6220014.jpg
    P6220014.jpg