Whole Foods and Lobsters

Greebo said:
Basically, if I understand it right, its the rest of the pig. Comes in a can kinda like spam.

Scrapple is nothing like spam. Everyting but the oink! Spam actually has some actual stuff in it. :D

Frank Browne said:
I take it ya'll have never had a good crawdad boil? You just ain't lived until you've eaten some good, hot, low country boil and washed it down with LOTS of your favorite ice cold brew! :yes::yes:

I love low country boil!

And I lived in Louisiana for a while too.

That being said, I never really cared for 'dads :dunno: Not sure why. I'm an anomaly, I like the boil without the 'dads. Kinda like ordering "the works" and then picking the pepperoni off and throwing it away.

Lobsters...ummm.:goofy:

alaskaflyer said:
I love low country boil!

And I lived in Louisiana for a while too.

That being said, I never really cared for 'dads :dunno: Not sure why. I'm an anomaly, I like the boil without the 'dads. Kinda like ordering "the works" and then picking the pepperoni off and throwing it away.

Lobsters...ummm.:goofy:

The great thing about LC boils is you can just as well substitite shrimp and/or crabs for the crawfish. Either way it's some good eatin. :yes:

wsuffa said:
'bout a year ago the local market here had a tub of live mudbugs. I whipped up some Etouffe, it was outstanding.

As I understand it, the key to a good etouffe is cooking a good rue as the base.

woodstock said:
I think I'm ready for a bowl of Special K after reading this.

Scrapple vs. Special K? No contest, one heart attack on a plate, please!

Anthony said:
Scrapple is nothing like spam. Everyting but the oink! Spam actually has some actual stuff in it. :D

I love getting Spam just to hear the sound it makes as it slides out of the can...

Bill Jennings said:
As I understand it, the key to a good etouffe is cooking a good rue as the base.

As Julia Child said: "First you start with a Roux"

wsuffa said:
As Julia Child said: "First you start with a Roux"

My bad, never studied French. Roux it is! My brother can do a mean roux/etouffe. All I can do is nasty black stuff in a skillet. :-(

Bill Jennings said:

You'd be right Bill. The first line in any good Cajun / Creole / Low Country recipie should be:

"First ya make a roux..."

Roux is the single most important ingredient in good Gulf Coast cooking, just plain and simple - with the color of the roux the most important part. Peanut Butter (dark, rich, golden brown) is probably the most commonly used, but I've seen a few preparations that call for dark roux (which is essentially roux that is cooked just before it burns - amazing complexity of flavor but DAMN hard to make!)

Mmmm, now I'm hungry . . .

Cheers,

-Andrew

Bill Jennings said:
My bad, never studied French. Roux it is! My brother can do a mean roux/etouffe. All I can do is nasty black stuff in a skillet. :-(

Peanut butter roux is pretty easy Bill - it's just going low and slow and letting things turn over naturally. Cast Iron is the most difficult to do it in because it retains heat so well - so if you start overshooting it, you have to add a cold ingredient to the pot to get it to cool to target temp. After packing peanut butter containers, butter containers, and various other things, the first cooking activity we were allowed to undertake in my father's kitchen was making roux.

To be honest, I actually like the taste of roux in a bowl. It's probably the most disgusting thing I like to eat, actually.

Cheers,

-Andrew

astanley said:
but I've seen a few preparations that call for dark roux (which is essentially roux that is cooked just before it burns - amazing complexity of flavor but DAMN hard to make!)

That is what my brother learned to make when he was stationed in Louisiana, the dark roux, and ys, it makes FANTASTIC etouffe. I try and just make terrible black ooze...:-(

Bill Jennings said:
That is what my brother learned to make when he was stationed in Louisiana, the dark roux, and ys, it makes FANTASTIC etouffe. I try and just make terrible black ooze...:-(

Temperature control and a good wisk will help with that...

Scott. That was like two years ago. But, hey, I'm in. How was it?

Stan said I could not talk about corned beef so I did not want to keep that topic alive and torture him with tails of yummy corned beef. Which I am sure will make great corned beef sandwiches or rubans, or just plain.

I figured I should avoid talk of corned beef and talk about something else. Home made gumbo does seem good. And we all know there is no corned beef in it so discussion should not bother Stan.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ive never been much of a seafood person, in fact i rarely eat anything that comes from the water.

I trace it back to the first time i went to Red Lobster. Walk in, see a tank full of Lobsters, cool. Sit down, see the same lobster I just saw swimming around sitting on a plate being eaten. i know its no different than eating a cow or chicken (which i thoroughly enjoy) but at least I didnt see the cow or chicken right before it was cooked. I know its all psychological but I just cant get over it.

Then there are the Lobster in the bath tub stories.

But many moons ago the family, in-laws and Grandparents were cooking fresh blue crabs for dinner. Of course one gets away and is running loose on the floor. While I was corraling the poor little critter I get clocked with a pot on the head. Good thing she missed the Crab or that would have been a real mess to clean up.

Stan said I could not talk about corned beef so I did not want to keep that topic alive and torture him with tails of yummy corned beef. Which I am sure will make great corned beef sandwiches or rubans, or just plain.

I figured I should avoid talk of corned beef and talk about something else. Home made gumbo does seem good. And we all know there is no corned beef in it so discussion should not bother Stan.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

This just goes to prove that liberals/progressives do endorse torture! I'm going home to eat now. :D:D:D

People pay for lobsters? I thought that lobsters were to be gathered and eaten when one spent all their money diving. The thing that annoys me the most is you have to bring the whole bug back with you, I'd prefer to just tear off the tail and leave the reat for the others to eat.

Back