Whole Foods and Lobsters

astanley

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew Stanley
I'm a recovering lobsterman. I may relapse when I give up on the corporate world - I'm not sure. But this whole debacle over lobster's "feelings" and "inhumane treatment" is the largest load of garbage I heard since Mary Tyler Moore came up to Maine to "liberate" the "oppressed" lobsters.

Alex Beam, of the Boston Globe, hits it on the head in this one.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/li...g_me_softly_with_lobster_tale/?p1=MEWell_Pos1

(Not sure if this is a Spin Zone or Hangar Talk post... so move away mods!)

Cheers,

-Andrew

So...customers get to pay higher prices for the lobster so they can be temporarily housed in lobster condos before being dropped into a pot of boiling water? And the lobsters won't even know the difference. oiy :dunno:

I am all in favor of freeing the lobsters. As long as they are freed from their cages and into my mouthe via some cooking aperatus. That could be a steamer, grill, or a vat of oil ala Puerto Nuevo, Baja.

They're underwater cockroaches!!!

Good grief.

There's plenty of room for all of Earth's creatures - right by the mashed potatoes.

I swear, I'd like to see these whacks have to survive in an environment where they couldn't get all the fruits, vegetables and tofu they wanted by going to the grocery market but had to survive on what they were able to find. I'll bet you not even 1% of them would stick by their strict animal friendly lifestyle if it were a matter of meat or starvation.

We are omnivores. We've survived and thrived because we were top-of-the-food-chain. All that protien helped our brains grow and develop...and apparently some people needed more protien in their ancestry...

Ive never been much of a seafood person, in fact i rarely eat anything that comes from the water.

I trace it back to the first time i went to Red Lobster. Walk in, see a tank full of Lobsters, cool. Sit down, see the same lobster I just saw swimming around sitting on a plate being eaten. i know its no different than eating a cow or chicken (which i thoroughly enjoy) but at least I didnt see the cow or chicken right before it was cooked. I know its all psychological but I just cant get over it.

Greebo said:

You say that like it's a bad thing. Down here we have these very tasty little critters know locally as mudbugs. They crawl around on the bottom of slow moving creeks, rivers and lakes. They can even be found in roadside ditches. But the question you have yourself is....do you suck the heads. :D:DB)

"That's cool," said Zaphod. "We'll meet the meat." - Zaphod Beetlebrox, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

Frank Browne said:
You say that like it's a bad thing. Down here we have these very tasty little critters know locally as mudbugs. They crawl around on the bottom of slow moving creeks, rivers and lakes. They can even be found in roadside ditches. But the question you have yourself is....do you suck the heads. :D:DB)
No no - the emphasis is my shock at anyone being concerned for the "feelings" of underwater cockroaches!

As someone heavily involved in animal agriculture I would like to comment.

I have no problem with this whatsoever. In this country consumers and companies should be able to do business in whatever manner they see fit within the confines of the legal system. If Whole Foods chooses not to sell live lobster then great, I the consumer have the choice to shop there or not to shop there. If I want to eat organic eggs, soy milk, tofu, hormone free beef, or whatever speciality product I would like, I should have the choice to purchase such items.

I do not agree with the animal rights activists quest to legislate an agenda into my diet based on emotion. Farmers should be compelled to use scientifically verfiable best practices, not use practices that make Ingrid Newkirk feel good about herself but do nothing for the health of the animal or the wellbeing of the general population.

Anthropomorphism has got to go.

James Dean

Frank Browne said:

ugh! where is that vomit bag.

woodstock said:
ugh! where is that vomit bag.

Ugh is right. If lobsters are cockroaches... then mudbugs are bubonic-plauge infested rats!

Cheers,

-Andrew
lobster hunter, not a lobster eater

tonycondon said:
Ive never been much of a seafood person, in fact i rarely eat anything that comes from the water.

I trace it back to the first time i went to Red Lobster. Walk in, see a tank full of Lobsters, cool. Sit down, see the same lobster I just saw swimming around sitting on a plate being eaten. i know its no different than eating a cow or chicken (which i thoroughly enjoy) but at least I didnt see the cow or chicken right before it was cooked. I know its all psychological but I just cant get over it.
When I was in Korea on business a few years ago I was taken to a place that served raw fish. The fish in question were live in bowls in front of the place. I would say it took about 15 minutes from swimming in a bowl to the end of my fork.

jkaduk said:
When I was in Korea on business a few years ago I was taken to a place that served raw fish. The fish in question were live in bowls in front of the place. I would say it took about 15 minutes from swimming in a bowl to the end of my fork.

Too long!!!

There are places like that all throughout Asia. When they say fresh they mean fresh.

Since you brought up Korea, when I am in Seoul I often go to the fish market. Several acres of live fish and seafood waiting to be purchased. We buy our fish and then go to one of the many resturants surrounding the market and pay them to cook it up for us. Excellent!!

I take it ya'll have never had a good crawdad boil? You just ain't lived until you've eaten some good, hot, low country boil and washed it down with LOTS of your favorite ice cold brew! :yes::yes:

Greebo said:
Hmm I think I need to start a genicly enhanced cockroach farm (18"cockroaches) and sell them for $5 a lb. any takers?

Frank Browne said:
I take it ya'll have never had a good crawdad boil? You just ain't lived until you've eaten some good, hot, low country boil and washed it down with LOTS of your favorite ice cold brew! :yes::yes:

I can never remember, though. Bite the head, suck the tail? Bite the tail, suck the head? I so confused...:dunno:

Crawfish boil, or Crawfish Etouffe - both excellent.

'bout a year ago the local market here had a tub of live mudbugs. I whipped up some Etouffe, it was outstanding.

Yum - o

JRitt said:
Hmm I think I need to start a genicly enhanced cockroach farm (18"cockroaches) and sell them for $5 a lb. any takers?
You think too small. Sell them for $50 a pop, washed down with $5/ 12 oz water.

Frank Browne said:

I have always wanted to go to a crawfish boil but they don't have many of them err any of them up in Philadelphia.

AdamZ said:
I have always wanted to go to a crawfish boil but they don't have many of them err any of them up in Philadelphia.

Yeah, but you can get a damn good Cheesesteak, scrapple, soft pretzel and Tastykakes!

Anthony said:
Yeah, but you can get a damn good Cheesesteak, scrapple, soft pretzel and Tastykakes!

A friend of mine comes up to Maine every year from Maryland. He stops in Lancaster County, I think (Dutch country, he calls it), and brings a bunch of scrapple and pretzels. We trade him a crate of lobsters in return.

Scrapple is one of the greatest things to come out of PA - I don't have any here at home and now I want some. MMMMMMM.

Cheers,

-Andrew

astanley said:
Scrapple is one of the greatest things to come out of PA - I don't have any here at home and now I want some. MMMMMMM.

Mom, who grew up in south central PA, makes killer homemade scrapple. After having that, I can't even stand to touch the store bought stuff...

Bill Jennings said:
I can never remember, though. Bite the head, suck the tail? Bite the tail, suck the head? I so confused...:dunno:
Normally you twist off the tail and pinch it to force the meat out. Bite once, then suck that delicious, hot, spicey, juice from the carapace and finish eating. Yummy!

Low country boils are social events. Lots of friends, brews, laughs, more brews, more laughs......

Frank Browne said:
I've heard of scrapple but have no idea what it is. ???
Basically, if I understand it right, its the rest of the pig. Comes in a can kinda like spam.

Greebo said:
Basically, if I understand it right, its the rest of the pig. Comes in a can kinda like spam.

So, whatever part isn't used to make bacon,porkchops or pigsickles become scrapple? I'd have to try it at least.

Frank Browne said:
So, whatever part isn't used to make bacon,porkchops or pigsickles become scrapple? I'd have to try it at least.

Good scrapple or livermush is very good breakfast eating!!!:yes:

Bill Jennings said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple

My Mom's scrapple has nothing but high quality sausage in there, none of that "rest of the pig" stuff.

If I took some scrapple
To my nook, with some Snapple*,
Would I tool with some fun
By my pool in the sun?
Or be thrown in the brig
If own scrapple made with pig?
Oh, but I just love to eat
Though gut will shove away pig's feet;
So will stay with Maine's great dish
Which will not be craw fish.
When A. Stanley comes to town
We'll have to put some down.
Neither will be a sobster
While we're eating Maine Lobster.

Y'all have a rahht fahn day, y'heah?

Lawreston said:
Neither will be a sobster
While we're eating Maine Lobster.

My best memories of visiting Maine - eating lobster rolls!!!

Bill Jennings said:
Good scrapple or livermush is very good breakfast eating!!!:yes:

The BEST breakfast, covering major food contributions from our great nation:

Biscuits and Gravy, made with lots of fresh black pepper, red pepper flakes, and a liberal dose of Texas Pete hot sauce. The sausage should have a good dose of pepper in it, as well.

Malted, buttermilk pancakes with lots of dark maple syrup, cob-smoked bacon.

Eggs, poached in fresh lard, with fried scrapple and potato bread toast

Annadamma bread, fresh blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries, soaked in heavy cream.

Fresh squeezed orange juice and a tall glass of ice cold milk to wash it all down.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I swear, I'd like to see these whacks have to survive in an environment where they couldn't get all the fruits, vegetables and tofu they wanted by going to the grocery market but had to survive on what they were able to find...
For our next reality show experiment, we'll snatch people out of the McDonalds drive-thru, put them on an uninhabited island with a sharp knife, a top-of-the-line Weber grill, and their very own herd of puppies. My guess is they'll be picking a lot of berries and coconuts.

There's a lot of irrationality and hypocrisy (i.e. "whacks") on both sides of this aisle.
-harry

astanley said:
The BEST breakfast, covering major food contributions from our great nation:

I'd add Eggs Benedict to the list.....

OK, so I'm reading & responding to this thread. The TV is on Food Network. The show: Iron Chef America.

The ingredient? Lobster......

Back