Who would have thought...

GigG601XL

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gig Giacona
I mounted my Sensenich prop this weekend. Who would have though that a chuck of wood could make a pile of aluminum look like an airplane?

Attachments

• db_IMG_00522.jpg
    db_IMG_00522.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 57
I mounted my Sensenich prop this weekend. Who would have though that a chuck of wood could make a pile of aluminum look like an airplane?

Congrats.

I think I understand how you need to have milestones so you can feel you're accomplishing something.

For myself, I know by now I'd never be able to motivate myself enough to finish it.

Last edited:
Congrats.

I think I understand how you need to have milestones so you can you're accomplishing something.

For myself, I know by now I'd never be able to motivate myself enough to finish it.

The trick is get enough money invested in it before you get tired of messing with it that you can't afford not to finish.

Now that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel it is fun again.

Congrats.

I think I understand how you need to have milestones so you can feel you're accomplishing something.

I know the feeling. Last night we rearranged the hangar and set one wing on sawhorses right next to the Ercoupe. Ran out of time to attach it, but just having it sit like that for the first time in over a year gave me warm fuzzies!

Nice looking prop on that 601!

I know the feeling. Last night we rearranged the hangar and set one wing on sawhorses right next to the Ercoupe. Ran out of time to attach it, but just having it sit like that for the first time in over a year gave me warm fuzzies!

Yeah, I'm with Mike that I can't see myself having the patience to finish building the thing. The only way I could see it being possible at all would be if I was retired or otherwise in a position where I could devote a lot of non-stop time to getting it done. Even working 12 hours a day, if it took an estimated 2000 hours of time to build, you're looking at close to half a year, and that's assuming you don't take weekends off. I'd probably do it if there was a kid who I had enough interest in to work on it with, though... and then I'd end up with something a Lancair of some sort.

Conversely, the past two nights we've done some Mooney work - first rebuilding the static system and then last night replacing the DG (we got a new one... shiny with a heading bug) and pulling out the airspeed indicator (after having discovered it was why the static system failed). While there, we also fixed a wiring issue in the vacuum switch and found a vacuum hose related to the auxiliary vacuum system that had broken, and fixed that. Even though we only accomplished a few milestones, those few happened to be enough to make the evenings feel really productive and worthwhile, even though the work we did was really not major at all.

Nice looking prop on that 601!

Definitely! Great job on getting it together!

Back