Who will you NOT let fly with you?

John asks a question which is quintessentially about pilot judgement. Not the pilot with whom you might fly, but the pilot who is deciding with whom to fly/not fly.

Of course you can now see I've framed the question as a go/no go. It's about US.

If I have no prior knowledge of the pilot, and it's his a/c, I can and do:

Look at the aircraft papers.
Look at the annual signoff.

Then I look at the attitude of the pilot with whom I might fly. If he's good with all I've asked, then I ask about insurance. If he's not good with all I have asked, it's "bye bye, thanks anyway". It's a rare guy who carries his binder and I don't expect to see it.

That eliminates about 98% of the guys with whom I should not fly. The remaining 2%- well that's an intuitive JUDGEMENT.

Never mind the survey categories....
Look at his Pilot cert, his BFR signoff, and his IPC if he is not currrent.

Actually, my thread is about who you, as the PIC, would be uncomfortable flying with, or flat out refusing them as passengers.

What kind of person would you not haul in your airplane?

John

I would like to add that I am trying to learn from you guys, your past experiences with hauling your friends around in an airplane.

John

There is this one guy on another forum I frequent, he's a know it all type, but takes it to extremes, going so far as to make things up to prove his point. In one 12 month period he claimed to be a former professional race car driver, claimed to have 900 hours flight time, THEN claimed to have 3000 hours. Another forum member did some research and proved him a liar. (he actually has around 250 hours). So probably a combo of #1 and #3. I am inexperienced and will be for awhile, if something happens while I'm flying and I think the person next to me has this vast knowledge and experience, when in fact he has NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder). That scares me.

There is this one guy on another forum I frequent, he's a know it all type, but takes it to extremes, going so far as to make things up to prove his point. In one 12 month period he claimed to be a former professional race car driver, claimed to have 900 hours flight time, THEN claimed to have 3000 hours. Another forum member did some research and proved him a liar. (he actually has around 250 hours). So probably a combo of #1 and #3. I am inexperienced and will be for awhile, if something happens while I'm flying and I think the person next to me has this vast knowledge and experience, when in fact he has NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder). That scares me.

That was my first CFI at Mercer County Community College in 1979 in NJ.

On the intro flight he had me open my door "for more drag so we can make the runway..."

Lindsay Lohan:wink2:

Actually, I would but the little mrs. would object !

A good sock in the jaw make solve that (LOL):cryin:

Now that's what I call multi-tasking. :wink2:

Trust me, life ain't like a John Wayne movie. Do you really want to start a brawl in the air?

"Tower, Cessna {pow} 1234DA {slug} landing with {crunch}{slap} Tango."

"Say again, Cessna?"

"{thwack} Cessna 123 . . . hey, don't you dare touch that knob {crack}

hhhissssssssssssssssssssssssssssss :yikes:

Assuming you are flying a small, two or four seater, what type of person, as a passenger in your right seat, do you think would pose the more significant risk to the safety of the flight?

Feel free to add more.

6. a nymphomaniac contortionist with low seratonin. :ihih:

Actually, my thread is about who you, as the PIC, would be uncomfortable flying with, or flat out refusing them as passengers.

What kind of person would you not haul in your airplane?

John
Anyone carrying a controlled substance illegally.

7) Video game "experts".

Back in the olden days, there was a gamer on rec.aviation... (many of you know who I mean) that was convinced that he knew how to fly (based on his video game) and most pilots didn't. And, if he flew, he would not let a pilot do something he considered unsafe (based on his video game experience). I would not want him anywhere in the airplane. I'm sure he would attempt to take over the controls to land at a "safe" (high) speed like MSFS instead of a slow speed where you "take the risk of stalling".

I would have taken him for a ride so I could leave him at some remote, deserted airport.

Or push him out over Nantucket sound.

Back