Who Went Flying Today?

I had one of those "only with an airplane" days; CJane and I flew down to Sugar Land for Grandmother's 106th birthday. Off ADS at 0930 or so, spent the day there and back home by 1830.

106, and still gettin' around!

Did it today. Brisk breeze but down the runway.

I am visiting PA on business. I reserved a plane for an hour from now. Right now it is OVC 3,500 and 11G19 and a good 40 degrees off of runway heading. We'll see. I will probably go for it.

I went yesterday. Took up my roommate and his girlfriend, shed never been in a light aircraft before, and the boyfriend came along too for some time (no pic for him!) we just flew around the desert almost to Tucson sight seeing. I slowed her down to 120 or so it it was just sipping fuel. Today it's pretty windy, 20g30 and its splitting the runway. I haven't been in any more than 10kts or so in months so until I can grab a CFi for an hour of refresher in the serious stuff, ill stick to the demonstrated component.

I just came back. The winds improved a little (11G19 and mostly down the runway, although I had a decent crosswind on he second landing). The ceiling was dropping, though, so it was a good thing we took off. Little early. They were 3,500 when I departed and probably 2,500 when I finished.

I HAD to go flying after watching the Daytona 500 ...... listening to V-8's on tv is one thing..... I NEEDED real noise...:yes:

Attachments

• 2012 Xmas. 051.jpg
    2012 Xmas. 051.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I had one of those "only with an airplane" days; CJane and I flew down to Sugar Land for Grandmother's 106th birthday. Off ADS at 0930 or so, spent the day there and back home by 1830.

Yep. My wife's mom lives 7.5hrs away by car, 2hrs my plane.
Before, we had to take Fri off to drive down, got there wiped out, basically had one day Saturday and breakfast the next, then drive back.

Now it's a short flight, all day Saturday, stay for church and Sunday dinner with friends, back before sundown. And not exhausted.

So before it was 2-3 times a year, now 6-8.

Yep. My wife's mom lives 7.5hrs away by car, 2hrs my plane.
Before, we had to take Fri off to drive down, got there wiped out, basically had one day Saturday and breakfast the next, then drive back.

Now it's a short flight, all day Saturday, stay for church and Sunday dinner with friends, back before sundown. And not exhausted.

So before it was 2-3 times a year, now 6-8.

That is a nice thing to do for her, BTW. :D

I love babies and old people. Both should be treated with the utmost respect for LIFE! :yes:

Went on a XC with MattCanFly today. Bumpy and MVFR on the way out, a bit breezy on the way back.

I had hoped to fly to some dinner destination this afternoon but after a 6 mile hike on an icy trail I needed more immediate nourishment. ;) So after lunch I did a short flight to KPTK to buy a case of 15W50 for my upcoming oil change. On the way back I had a satellite outage -- no measurable signal from ANY satellites for over a minute, with an abrupt beginning and ending to the outage. I did not have my iPad handy to check whether it, too, lost location. This is definitely starting to worry me. Several pilots have reported similar things happening in this area, usually W or NW of KVLL, generally between KVLL and KPTK. The location where the outage begins varies but so far has always been in that general area. The worry comes because the only usable instrument approach into KVLL is the RNAV approach to rwy 9. It would really not be nice for this to happen when flying an RNAV approach for real, in the soup.

Took a buddy out to the coast today. Great flying weather. Kinda breezy, but that kept the vis way up. Some gusty winds while landing kept things interesting.

Attachments

• HMB.jpg
    HMB.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 4
Back